+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, RM CC3 and Xserve in Technical; At the college i work at we bought an XServe last year and have never got it working, and i ...
    Thank Post

RM CC3 and Xserve

At the college i work at we bought an XServe last year and have never got it working, and i only just realized you guys could help me get it working

Basically we are running a standard RM CC3 network with 3 domain controllers, what i want to do is have the XServe setup so that users and work are downloaded when logged in to a mac on site.

How would i go about getting the mac server to work? Has anyone got a step by step guide?

Could someone contact me?

We had a company called Jigsaw come out to us last year but they failed!... I know its possible but i just need you guys' help.

Hope you can answer all my problems.

Cheers
    Damien.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you had a read this? **Active Directory Authentication How To** and this Active Directory Authentication With OSX - EduGeek.net Wiki

Is so what bit are you stuck on?

Z
    Last edited by FN-GM; 2nd April 2008 at 11:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    Have you had a read this? **Active Directory Authentication How To** and this Active Directory Authentication With OSX - EduGeek.net Wiki

Is so what bit are you stuck on?

Z
    Er, what's wrong with authenticating to an OD master on the xserve

He already owns the xserve, which is the main whinge of people on here.....ooohh, can't afford an xserve, must authenticate to AD.....
    blah blah blah.

Plus he's talking about users logging in on mac hardware, there are loads of articles on the web on setting up an apple server. Apples own website does a very good job in providing pdf's on settig up things like ldap, file and print services and so on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It sounds to me like he is wanting the mac server to do all the mac stuff but provide access to their normal username and normal home directories, rather than having 2 independant systems.

In which case, it should be as simple as following the details Zak posted, plus a few extra bits (which I will post tomorrow night).

Thank Post
    nudge so i have a link to this thread

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by damien.deakes View Post
    At the college i work at we bought an XServe last year and have never got it working, and i only just realized you guys could help me get it working

Basically we are running a standard RM CC3 network with 3 domain controllers, what i want to do is have the XServe setup so that users and work are downloaded when logged in to a mac on site.

How would i go about getting the mac server to work? Has anyone got a step by step guide?

Could someone contact me?

We had a company called Jigsaw come out to us last year but they failed!... I know its possible but i just need you guys' help.

Hope you can answer all my problems.

Cheers
    Damien.
    Hi Damien,

The links to documents you have been given would work on a vanilla AD network if you want AD-OD integration (in other words you would like to be able to have your user area mounted on the OS X desktop when a user logs into a Mac). I don't know much about RM CC3, but their site is pretty informative as to how much does/doesn't work when integrating with their tool set:

Apple Macintosh Shared Resources Service for Community Connect 3

Have you spoken to an RM representative about the issues you have been having? One of the things I *do* know that CC3 provides is access to the user's Windows home area when logging in- check this page out:

Apple integration with CC3

If you have Leopard Server I don't think it is supported *yet* but will be in a future release.

Other than that you might be able to follow one of the tutorials and see if it works. Like I said, though, I would contact RM and see what they could do for me.

Take care,

Paul

Thank Post
    Yeah were running leopard now.

The guys we had before, used those pdfs and failed so we are a bit worried that we may follow them closely and it not work at all.

But at this rate we may as well just try follow the apple PDF's

Cheers guys

Great Help!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by damien.deakes View Post
    Yeah were running leopard now.

The guys we had before, used those pdfs and failed so we are a bit worried that we may follow them closely and it not work at all.

But at this rate we may as well just try follow the apple PDF's

Cheers guys

Great Help!
    In that case I have a PDF I created for another poster here that I could send you if you email me/PM me. It is Leopard centric.

Like I said, let me know.

Good luck!

Paul

Thank Post

Leopard too

Im just approaching a time when ive got to do this, we have 3 machines with leopard on which the rm pdf's don't work on.

Yours would be a great help

Thank Post
    Regular AD Integration Techniques as linked to above work fine on an RM-CC3 network with an X-Serve / Clients running 10.5.x

Ignore any RM Specific info, just follow instructions as per a vanilla AD network.

Users get permissions-based access to shares on the Win-Servers... Home directory automounted on desktop.... credentials auth'd by LDAP against your DCs etc etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information