+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, MacBook with XP Pro in Technical; I've just signed up on here to ask about any other schools that are using Macs with XP... I have ...

Thank Post

MacBook with XP Pro

I've just signed up on here to ask about any other schools that are using Macs with XP...

I have 30 Macbooks all runnning XP Pro without any hint of Mac OS X... Is there any other reason to keep OS X installed apart from it runs better than XP?

I've not had any problems with running the Mac's apart from imaging them... I use Ghost to image to a removable HDD atm.. only problem is that everytime i image a Mac it takes about 1hr 15min to complete...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hotwired007 View Post
    Is there any other reason to keep OS X installed apart from it runs better than XP?
    Because you've just payed 3x more for your mac than you would a PC?

The only other reason is for the proprietary software; garageband, iLife, iThis, iThat etc

Thank Post
    ok so there isn't any legal reason then... just personal preference

i hate the fact that i've got 30 brilliant macs all bogged down with xp but the powers that be won't buy any more software to make the macs work on server 2003... if there is a free way i'd love to know

i've only just started in my role here and i'm a lil stuck when it comes to combining Mac's on a windows 2003 domain...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    that does seem a bit crazy...

Why buy the macbooks at all if you're not running OSX?

Ah, just seen your response.

Theres a number of threads on leveraging OSX on active directory and a guide in the wiki.

however the best way is with a mac server, which could be run on a mac mini or similar, so would be cheaper than an xserve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    that does seem a bit crazy...

Why buy the macbooks at all if you're not running OSX?
    That would be the question....................................

only advantage i can find is that they have magnetic charge points... i work in a school and these laptops are used all day everyday...

i started working here after they were bought... no one actually knows why they were bought...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Because you've just payed 3x more for your mac than you would a PC?

The only other reason is for the proprietary software; garageband, iLife, iThis, iThat etc
    And the fact that they are blooming good laptops. Four of my schools have laptop trolleys, one of them being MacBooks. I get far less problems with the MacBooks than all the others - the battery life is better, bits don't fall off, the screens don't die after what seems like two minutes (like about 6 Acers I can think of...)

Admittedly, running them with XP seems half-hearted and expensive, but I can see the benefits of software compatibility - it took my lot ages to realise that most of the ed software in school was Windows only and wouldn't work.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I have 3 macbook pros running OS X and Windows XP and 16 imacs running OS X that are about to be imaged with XP as well. With OS X you can authenticate user accounts with a Windows Server and do some file sharing but thats about it. To do any Active Directory like policies etc... you need an apple server (which could be just a mac mini with the server software installed).

If you are not using OS X then quite honestly I don't see the point of the purchase.

What exactly do you mean by "the powers that be won't buy any more software to make the macs work on server 2003... " ? What isn't working ?. If they are just running XP only then they should just act as windows computers and work as normal with server 2003.

Richard.

Thank Post
    What i ean is they wont pay any more money so that the Macs can use OSX and connect with our domain... like everyone has said i need an apple server for them to connect through but the school will not buy it...

they work perfectly...

incidently i had to return a few of them under warrenty to PC World... recieved a nice message on them:

"The backspace key can be used to emulate the delete key in combinating with the FN key.

This will work fine withing OSX and Windows but not on the login screens"

My question is... I sent 3 back with keyboard and battery errors... i have another 27 working perfectly USING the CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE conbination to log in...

After re-imaging the ones with the new keyboards and batterys they also work fine...

Is this the only incident where the 'TechGuys' seem a little less 'Techie'?

Thank Post
    Quick question to those with MacBooks, are they the 13inch ones?

As we have 30 with BootCamp and XP, but for some reason have sound issues in Windows, it just does not work, although it does work when logging in (logon sound) then after that nothing.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are a number of methods of making life easier with using Macs on a windows network without having to use OS X Server.

A good number of them have previously been mentioned in the Mac Forums on this site but to quickly cover them ...

Macs will bind to AD to allow you to authenticate and mount home areas. To mount additional drives you just have to use login hooks (login scripts) and there are some good examples of this around, including on MacEnterprise.org. Login hooks are also handy for setting environmental variables depending on user accounts.

By using the User Template, you can define the default setup of user accounts. This includes pre-registration of software, the look and feel, etc. Robert Moir (aka Roberto) has produced some good guides to this effect.

A Mac Mini running OS X Server works ... and works well. We opted for the unlimited licence purely because we knew we would expand and it was worth it. Apple Remote Desktop is the other admin tools you hear about to, and a number of members make good use of that.

You could also look at MacAdministrator to do your admin. It does not require a Mac Server ... and the application files, etc can actually be hosted on a windows server. I used to use this at a previous school with great results.

However ... you cannot spend more money on anything ... but it you could then the above would be nice and handy.

Speak to Apple Education ... they may be able to help you out. They are far better at helping education out directly in the US than they are in the UK ... over here it tends to be a case of getting assistance from Apple Solution Experts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mullet_man View Post
    Quick question to those with MacBooks, are they the 13inch ones?

As we have 30 with BootCamp and XP, but for some reason have sound issues in Windows, it just does not work, although it does work when logging in (logon sound) then after that nothing.

Any ideas?
    Yes they are the 13.3" variants...

1.83/2x256/60/COMBO:WHITE-GBR
    EMC#2092

All mine are vanila installs with XP only... i did a raw install of OSX, then installed bootcamp, made the driver CD and then formatted the entire HDD and did a fresh install of windows only and then used the driver cd to install the drivers... then installed all the other software... the only issue i have is that you cannot change the screen brightness from the taskbar anymore... (you can adjust it from the intel graphics menu though) so its not a big issue... i set it to the middle and everything seems to be fine...

Thank Post
    Ours are the 2.0/2x512/80/Combo-GBR
    EMC No:2139

What sound cards drivers are you using??

Thank Post
    the ones that came on the bootcamp disk - RealTek High Definition Audio Driver 07/05/2007, 5.10.0.5440

have you tried everest to find out what audio chipset you are using?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hotwired007 View Post
    the ones that came on the bootcamp disk - RealTek High Definition Audio Driver 07/05/2007, 5.10.0.5440

have you tried everest to find out what audio chipset you are using?
    Not exactly, the strange thing is the sounds works once (e.g. logon) and then after that nothing.

Will try and find out whats on them.

Thank Post
    If you are installing the drivers manually then you need to be sure that you are installing the correct ones, although i think it won't install the drivers from a package as Windows will say that it don't match the hardware but you can still specify anyway.

The bootcamp CD contains drivers for ALL Mac hardware not just the ones for the machine that it was made with as far as i am aware

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread