+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Tweaking Simple Finder w/ managed Leopard server users in Technical; I just finished (lol..started) my first real mac deployment. Everything went pretty smooth with a few expected issues. One thing ...

Thank Post

Exclamation Tweaking Simple Finder w/ managed Leopard server users

I just finished (lol..started) my first real mac deployment. Everything went pretty smooth with a few expected issues. One thing that was odd to me was the inability to tweak simple finder with managed users/groups. I tried finding some documentation but found nothing helpful. My goal is to have the simple finder but allow usb mounted flash drives. If anyone knows how this can be accomplished in Leopard server let me know im desperate, any help is appreciated.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mactech03 View Post
    I just finished (lol..started) my first real mac deployment. Everything went pretty smooth with a few expected issues. One thing that was odd to me was the inability to tweak simple finder with managed users/groups. I tried finding some documentation but found nothing helpful. My goal is to have the simple finder but allow usb mounted flash drives. If anyone knows how this can be accomplished in Leopard server let me know im desperate, any help is appreciated.
    I'm not sure I have picked you up correctly- but here goes:

When you choose to manage a Simple Finder for groups or users in Workgroup Manager, you should also be presented with the option to allow mounting of Hard Disks, Removable Media, and Network Connections, on the user's desktop. If you shift views in Workgroup Manager to the "Commands" view you will also notice that you have the option to restrict the "Go" menu from the Finder. In other words you can state that users can/cannot use "Connect to Server" etc.

The thing is, when you choose "Simple Finder" as a managed preference, Workgroup Manager already chooses by default to allow mounting of disks etc. Make sure that you are not managing preferences for Media Access and restricting access to users there. If users haven't got the setting there to allow mounting of drives etc., then simply select to Always Manage the preference and choose which devices users should be allowed to have access to.

Rather than offer a Simple Finder have you thought about actually just locking down the Macs so that users can't access applications they shouldn't and also restricting network views etc using Computer Lists? That way drives are always mounted and you won't have problems with Simple Finder view (which you inevitably will).

Sorry if that doesn't help

Paul

3. Thanks to kingswood from:

mactech03 (28th March 2008)

Thank Post

computer lists

What are computer lists in mac server?
    I'm new to macs and wasn't sure.

Where is this set?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goodhead View Post
    What are computer lists in mac server?
    I'm new to macs and wasn't sure.

Where is this set?
    Hi there,

No problem: computer lists are simply groups of computers you are managing (in this case Macs) and can be managed through Workgroup Manager on OS X Server. The process to add computer accounts to Workgroup Manager is below.

1. In WGM (Workgroup Manager) choose the /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1 domain from the Directory menu
    2. Click the Accounts button in the toolbar (the single "square" icon along the bar) and you will be presented with a list of computers already registered with your OS X Server (Leopard populates this with your Server in the first place and then you add other machines later)
    3. Click the blue "New Computer" plus sign on the toolbar and enter a machine name for the machine you are adding, a short name for the machine, and then enter the machine's ethernet address (you can get this from "About this Mac" on any machine). Click save.

If you want to manage groups of Macs, simply use the icon that looks like several squares strung together instead of the icon with a single square, and use the "New Computer Group" button on the toolbar. Afterwards you will be able to name the group, and in "Members" click the "+" sign to add machines listed in your Computer List. What is "nice" though is that you can also click the "..." button and from there select computers registered on your Open Directory domain to add to the Group- easier than manually entering a MAC address for each one individually!!

When you have a computer or computer group to manage, you can simply press the "Preferences" button in Workgroup Manager and use that to manage machine-specific settings. There are options here you don't get for users or groups of users, so it's handy to know.

Hope that helps some!

Paul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread