+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
Mac Thread, No user serviceable parts! in Technical; When Apple say there are no user serviceable parts in an iMac they mean it! Not because you can't change ...
  1. #1
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,386
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 483 Times in 423 Posts
    Rep Power
    110

    No user serviceable parts!

    When Apple say there are no user serviceable parts in an iMac they mean it!

    Not because you can't change them but because you can't get anything out without spending a week taking it to bits.

    Worst layout ever!

    For those who are interested, there was just one cd in the drive, which was stuck on something, but the something seems to have moved after I spent an hour and a half trying to extract the drive. Sigh, I wonder what it could be, as the cd was definately not ejecting (I'm not daft, you don't open an iMac unless you have to!).

    Next time I'll just send it away to be fixed.

  2. #2
    maark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    459
    Thank Post
    86
    Thanked 72 Times in 64 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    This is why we are looking at apple care - spending even more money though macs have cost us twice the price of a PC already.
    Apparently apple will charge you up to 35 for a phone call once warranty has expired and then you have to take it to an apple centre.
    Told em not to get macs :-)

  3. #3

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,106
    Thank Post
    1,901
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    When Apple say there are no user serviceable parts in an iMac they mean it!

    Not because you can't change them but because you can't get anything out without spending a week taking it to bits.

    Worst layout ever!

    For those who are interested, there was just one cd in the drive, which was stuck on something, but the something seems to have moved after I spent an hour and a half trying to extract the drive. Sigh, I wonder what it could be, as the cd was definately not ejecting (I'm not daft, you don't open an iMac unless you have to!).

    Next time I'll just send it away to be fixed.
    Yes, there are user serviceable parts - usually after you've hit it with a hammer a few times....

  4. #4
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    When Apple say there are no user serviceable parts in an iMac they mean it!

    Not because you can't change them but because you can't get anything out without spending a week taking it to bits.

    Worst layout ever!

    For those who are interested, there was just one cd in the drive, which was stuck on something, but the something seems to have moved after I spent an hour and a half trying to extract the drive. Sigh, I wonder what it could be, as the cd was definately not ejecting (I'm not daft, you don't open an iMac unless you have to!).

    Next time I'll just send it away to be fixed.
    Yeah, it's very annoying, although it wasn't always thus - the imac G5's were really easy to access (just unscrew and lift off the back) and removal of components such as HDD were a piece of cake. They were terrific.

    The intel imacs are a nightmare to open, plus they've got the tin foil to cover all the parts which says 'don't touch' effectively. I really don't think it was worth the price of a slightly slender frame to make it so inaccessible.

  5. #5
    ICT_GUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    2,261
    Thank Post
    646
    Thanked 283 Times in 204 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    I wonder how long Apple & Jobs can keep the clueless public blind to the fact that apple products are in fact not that great. Sure they look nice but so they should for twice the price.

    It makes me cringe when I see people in general walking around with white ear pieces sticking out of their heads wearing a rather smug look on their faces.

    I refuse point blank to speak to people who will not remove them when talking to me.

    And I have lost count of the number of people who come to me after buying a mac, then finding out it does not "work" the same way as their PC did, and tell me the problems they have had getting used to the os.

    One mouse button? Don't even get me started on that.

    Its not that I am anti apple, Its just another big corporation with a huge amount of spin. Selling expensive goods when you can buy mp3 players for 5 in Tesco and 200 laptops that work well.

    </rant>

  6. 2 Thanks to ICT_GUY:

    SYNACK (14th March 2008), webman (13th March 2008)

  7. #6
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    I wonder how long Apple & Jobs can keep the clueless public blind to the fact that apple products are in fact not that great. Sure they look nice but so they should for twice the price.

    It makes me cringe when I see people in general walking around with white ear pieces sticking out of their heads wearing a rather smug look on their faces.

    I refuse point blank to speak to people who will not remove them when talking to me.

    And I have lost count of the number of people who come to me after buying a mac, then finding out it does not "work" the same way as their PC did, and tell me the problems they have had getting used to the os.

    One mouse button? Don't even get me started on that.

    Its not that I am anti apple, Its just another big corporation with a huge amount of spin. Selling expensive goods when you can buy mp3 players for 5 in Tesco and 200 laptops that work well.

    </rant>
    i'll take an old ibook G3 over a 200 windoze laptop anyday of the week.
    Trackpad, keyboard, battery life are all streets ahead on the old ibooks.
    Plus the fact it had the powerpc procesoor was actually a bonus with these machines.

    Plus the 12inch ibook models were as light as a feather. I always found them to be very reliable. The imac G5's are great machines also, not without the odd technical glitch but they are serviceable if out of warranty.

    What frustrates me about Apple is they take something great, such as the first gen. ipod nano or the 12inch ibook G4 and discontinue the line or give it a design refresh that it clearly doesn't need. With so many of their products i've said 'Wow, but if only....' that tells me that they do think about design and usability but occasionally they make a sacrifice or two for design or product placement reasons that is not in the customers best interests.

    It's hard to appease all the people all of the time, all the while remembering that you stand and fall by quarterly results, in light of that Apple have done a pretty good job since Jobs returned to the company.

  8. #7
    manxdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Isle of Man
    Posts
    43
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    One mouse button? Don't even get me started on that.
    </rant>
    Apple haven't made or sold a one button mouse for about three years.
    It's true that the iMacs are now a sod to work on, but on the other hand, swapping HD's between MacBooks is now a doddle where the iBooks were a pain.
    Swings and roundabouts.

  9. #8
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,386
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 483 Times in 423 Posts
    Rep Power
    110
    The "Poking some card in the back of the vent" procedure is the most difficult part. Two catches on the top of the screen that have to be undone to remove the front. Once inside it goes rapidly downhill. Everything is taped, or screwed to *everything else*. The cd drive needs everything to be taken out, so I left it in the end. I did manage to put it back together and it still works :P

  10. #9
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,386
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 483 Times in 423 Posts
    Rep Power
    110
    Oh, for those that are interested Apple wired (white) keyboards have 48 Screws. Plus the usb cable and hub is soldered in so you can't unclip it to make life easier.

  11. #10

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,227
    Thank Post
    1,051
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 622 Posts
    Rep Power
    738
    spending even more money though macs have cost us twice the price of a PC already.
    Just twice the cost ? I would have bet it's a great deal more - man hours etc etc.

  12. #11
    gaz350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rutland, east.leicestershire :P
    Posts
    579
    Thank Post
    47
    Thanked 49 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    well apple has got to give us techies something to do with our time

  13. #12

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,493
    Thank Post
    1,184
    Thanked 745 Times in 647 Posts
    Rep Power
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    the imac G5's were really easy to access (just unscrew and lift off the back)
    A little too easy - I had one under my desk that used to fall open every time I brushed my foot against it. Anyone remember the Mac OS 9 machines that were passively cooled and had slot-loaded CDROM drives mounted vertically in the top of the machine? Looked /exactly/ like toasters... Ah, Mac OS 9 - non-pre-emptive multitasking and no memory protection to speak of. Write something that segfaulted and the machine needed rebooting, including smug little "You didn't shut down this computer properly..." message upon restart. On the move to Mac OS X, I spent a fun six months trying to sort out the mismatch between the old Mac OS style file attributes and the new BSD style ones - the OS developers had simply left both in place, so your application /might/ be able to read it own files, or it might not, depending on whim...

    --
    David Hicks

  14. #13

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,371
    Thank Post
    624
    Thanked 949 Times in 651 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    317
    Oh the joys of paying 3 times as much money, for fewer macs than PCs, and still being told what you will and won't do by one company.


  15. #14
    gaz350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rutland, east.leicestershire :P
    Posts
    579
    Thank Post
    47
    Thanked 49 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    you must be buying the most nasty, cheap under powered windows desktops then webman.

  16. #15

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,371
    Thank Post
    624
    Thanked 949 Times in 651 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    317
    Nope, why do you say that? Macs are just ridiculously over-priced pieces of so-called 'stylish' crap. Our latest machines are Intel C2D, 1GB RAM, Seagate 80GB SATA HD, Neovo 17" LCD, MS Kbd+Mouse, No operating system, Micro ATX formfactor - 259.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SIMS Web Parts
    By robknowles in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 23rd March 2009, 07:03 PM
  2. Certain Parts of GPO not applying
    By Kyle in forum Windows
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th March 2008, 07:26 PM
  3. Spare Parts
    By Wildebeaste in forum Hardware
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st August 2007, 08:19 AM
  4. CMIS web parts
    By NewOrder in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 8th June 2007, 08:25 PM
  5. WSS3 & web parts
    By beeswax in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th April 2007, 06:22 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •