+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Mac Thread, No user serviceable parts! in Technical; When Apple say there are no user serviceable parts in an iMac they mean it! Not because you can't change ...
    Thank Post

No user serviceable parts!

When Apple say there are no user serviceable parts in an iMac they mean it!

Not because you can't change them but because you can't get anything out without spending a week taking it to bits.

Worst layout ever!

For those who are interested, there was just one cd in the drive, which was stuck on something, but the something seems to have moved after I spent an hour and a half trying to extract the drive. Sigh, I wonder what it could be, as the cd was definately not ejecting (I'm not daft, you don't open an iMac unless you have to!).

Next time I'll just send it away to be fixed.

Thank Post
    This is why we are looking at apple care - spending even more money though macs have cost us twice the price of a PC already.
    Apparently apple will charge you up to 35 for a phone call once warranty has expired and then you have to take it to an apple centre.
    Told em not to get macs :-)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post

Not because you can't change them but because you can't get anything out without spending a week taking it to bits.

Worst layout ever!

For those who are interested, there was just one cd in the drive, which was stuck on something, but the something seems to have moved after I spent an hour and a half trying to extract the drive. Sigh, I wonder what it could be, as the cd was definately not ejecting (I'm not daft, you don't open an iMac unless you have to!).

Yes, there are user serviceable parts - usually after you've hit it with a hammer a few times....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post

Worst layout ever!

Yeah, it's very annoying, although it wasn't always thus - the imac G5's were really easy to access (just unscrew and lift off the back) and removal of components such as HDD were a piece of cake. They were terrific.

The intel imacs are a nightmare to open, plus they've got the tin foil to cover all the parts which says 'don't touch' effectively. I really don't think it was worth the price of a slightly slender frame to make it so inaccessible.

Thank Post
    I wonder how long Apple & Jobs can keep the clueless public blind to the fact that apple products are in fact not that great. Sure they look nice but so they should for twice the price.

It makes me cringe when I see people in general walking around with white ear pieces sticking out of their heads wearing a rather smug look on their faces.

I refuse point blank to speak to people who will not remove them when talking to me.

And I have lost count of the number of people who come to me after buying a mac, then finding out it does not "work" the same way as their PC did, and tell me the problems they have had getting used to the os.

One mouse button? Don't even get me started on that.

Its not that I am anti apple, Its just another big corporation with a huge amount of spin. Selling expensive goods when you can buy mp3 players for 5 in Tesco and 200 laptops that work well.

</rant>

6. 2 Thanks to ICT_GUY:

SYNACK (14th March 2008), webman (13th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    I wonder how long Apple & Jobs can keep the clueless public blind to the fact that apple products are in fact not that great. Sure they look nice but so they should for twice the price.

It makes me cringe when I see people in general walking around with white ear pieces sticking out of their heads wearing a rather smug look on their faces.

I refuse point blank to speak to people who will not remove them when talking to me.

And I have lost count of the number of people who come to me after buying a mac, then finding out it does not "work" the same way as their PC did, and tell me the problems they have had getting used to the os.

Its not that I am anti apple, Its just another big corporation with a huge amount of spin. Selling expensive goods when you can buy mp3 players for 5 in Tesco and 200 laptops that work well.

</rant>
    i'll take an old ibook G3 over a 200 windoze laptop anyday of the week.
    Trackpad, keyboard, battery life are all streets ahead on the old ibooks.
    Plus the fact it had the powerpc procesoor was actually a bonus with these machines.

Plus the 12inch ibook models were as light as a feather. I always found them to be very reliable. The imac G5's are great machines also, not without the odd technical glitch but they are serviceable if out of warranty.

What frustrates me about Apple is they take something great, such as the first gen. ipod nano or the 12inch ibook G4 and discontinue the line or give it a design refresh that it clearly doesn't need. With so many of their products i've said 'Wow, but if only....' that tells me that they do think about design and usability but occasionally they make a sacrifice or two for design or product placement reasons that is not in the customers best interests.

It's hard to appease all the people all of the time, all the while remembering that you stand and fall by quarterly results, in light of that Apple have done a pretty good job since Jobs returned to the company.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    </rant>
    Apple haven't made or sold a one button mouse for about three years.
    It's true that the iMacs are now a sod to work on, but on the other hand, swapping HD's between MacBooks is now a doddle where the iBooks were a pain.
    Swings and roundabouts.

Thank Post
    The "Poking some card in the back of the vent" procedure is the most difficult part. Two catches on the top of the screen that have to be undone to remove the front. Once inside it goes rapidly downhill. Everything is taped, or screwed to *everything else*. The cd drive needs everything to be taken out, so I left it in the end. I did manage to put it back together and it still works :P

Thank Post
    Oh, for those that are interested Apple wired (white) keyboards have 48 Screws. Plus the usb cable and hub is soldered in so you can't unclip it to make life easier.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 622 Posts
    spending even more money though macs have cost us twice the price of a PC already.
    Just twice the cost ? I would have bet it's a great deal more - man hours etc etc.

Thank Post
    well apple has got to give us techies something to do with our time

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    the imac G5's were really easy to access (just unscrew and lift off the back)
    A little too easy - I had one under my desk that used to fall open every time I brushed my foot against it. Anyone remember the Mac OS 9 machines that were passively cooled and had slot-loaded CDROM drives mounted vertically in the top of the machine? Looked /exactly/ like toasters... Ah, Mac OS 9 - non-pre-emptive multitasking and no memory protection to speak of. Write something that segfaulted and the machine needed rebooting, including smug little "You didn't shut down this computer properly..." message upon restart. On the move to Mac OS X, I spent a fun six months trying to sort out the mismatch between the old Mac OS style file attributes and the new BSD style ones - the OS developers had simply left both in place, so your application /might/ be able to read it own files, or it might not, depending on whim...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh the joys of paying 3 times as much money, for fewer macs than PCs, and still being told what you will and won't do by one company.

Thank Post
    you must be buying the most nasty, cheap under powered windows desktops then webman.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nope, why do you say that? Macs are just ridiculously over-priced pieces of so-called 'stylish' crap. Our latest machines are Intel C2D, 1GB RAM, Seagate 80GB SATA HD, Neovo 17" LCD, MS Kbd+Mouse, No operating system, Micro ATX formfactor - 259.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast