+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, 10.5 AD Binding in Technical; I thought it was the local computer name. I still receive the same error as in my last post...

Thank Post
    I thought it was the local computer name. I still receive the same error as in my last post

Thank Post
    Just another quick note if I change the domain name I typed in to st-ambrose or st-ambrose.local, it says could not contact domain.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahunter View Post
    Just another quick note if I change the domain name I typed in to st-ambrose or st-ambrose.local, it says could not contact domain.
    I was only checking as os x uses .local for bonjour so you have to make some changes to join a domain ending in .local.

See if a lookup of your domain name in the network utility (with all/any information selected) returns the correct domain controllers.

Thank Post
    I can confirm lookup of the domain does return a result for both our DC's.

Thank Post
    i thought that was no longer an issue.

also anyone know if that problem exists where the system starts up to fast for the network? we have machines in our LRC that i put a 10 second wait command in 1 of the startup scripts, but i cant remember doing that for our latest image.

anyway, done a bit of googling this morning try adding your AD servers to /etc/hosts

here's the link: http://www.macwindows.com/leopard.html#102907i
    (its a bit further down around Feb time)
    Last edited by gaz350; 17th March 2008 at 09:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Sadly I have tried that and still receive the same error

Thank Post
    firewall is turned off right?

Thank Post
    It is set to accept all incoming requests. Im not sure if its a simple on/off button like it is on tiger unless I'm missing something.

Thank Post
    starting to get desperate

Thank Post
    ditto, I read somewhere that the error I get can be caused if you have multiple DC's as its not "clever" enough to pick one. Doesn't appear to be a solution for it though.

Thank Post
    we have multiple DC's works fine. Only thing i can think of is something in your domain is setup in a non-standard way.

Thank Post
    Hmm, could be, the only confusing part is our tiger clients will bind/unbind to their hearts content. I would just put tiger on this iMac but 10.4 doesn't have the right drivers for the new iMacs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahunter View Post
    Hmm, could be, the only confusing part is our tiger clients will bind/unbind to their hearts content. I would just put tiger on this iMac but 10.4 doesn't have the right drivers for the new iMacs
    Really sorry you are having problems with this. Have you got the constitution to try one more thing? If you have, try this:

1. Reinstall one of your iMacs and DON'T install the 10.5.2 update. Only update to 10.5.1 if you can.

2. Add the computer name you will be using for the iMac into ADUC on your Windows Server before binding.

3. In Directory Utility you get the option of "Prefer this Domain Controller"- use that option and put your Windows Server IP address in there. Don't let Leopard decide which DC to choose (this will help if you have a multiple DC site).

4. Uncheck "Allow Authentication for any Domain Controller"

5. In the "Directory Servers" screen add your domain controllers

6. Bind and test

Do a "dsconfigad -show" if it doesn't work and post the results back here if you have the time.

Remember- don't update to the 10.5.2 release yet. If it binds you might want to check that after the update it still works. I really think that this has something to do with particular domain setups, but haven't seen much of a pattern yet because most people haven't the time or inclination to actually post chunk loads of configuration settings etc.

Another thing to check is that if you enter an A and PTR record for your Mac before binding whether it then works. This would indicate something DNS related on your domain that Tiger ignored but that Leopard is more fussy about. Also remember that with Leopard Open Directory is now integrated into the client as well as server product- NETINFO has been deprecated. They worked differently at local level and when binding to AD!

Hope that helps,

Paul

Thank Post
    Hi,

Still no joy I'm afraid. When I try to add the directory servers I can add our apple server but it will not let me add anything related to our domain controllers or 03 domain. It just says eDSCannotAccessSession, I cannot seem to find anything on the net which resembles the problems we are having.

Starting to get a bit desperate now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
    Really sorry you are having problems with this. Have you got the constitution to try one more thing? If you have, try this:

1. Reinstall one of your iMacs and DON'T install the 10.5.2 update. Only update to 10.5.1 if you can.

2. Add the computer name you will be using for the iMac into ADUC on your Windows Server before binding.

3. In Directory Utility you get the option of "Prefer this Domain Controller"- use that option and put your Windows Server IP address in there. Don't let Leopard decide which DC to choose (this will help if you have a multiple DC site).

4. Uncheck "Allow Authentication for any Domain Controller"

5. In the "Directory Servers" screen add your domain controllers

6. Bind and test

Do a "dsconfigad -show" if it doesn't work and post the results back here if you have the time.

Remember- don't update to the 10.5.2 release yet. If it binds you might want to check that after the update it still works. I really think that this has something to do with particular domain setups, but haven't seen much of a pattern yet because most people haven't the time or inclination to actually post chunk loads of configuration settings etc.

Another thing to check is that if you enter an A and PTR record for your Mac before binding whether it then works. This would indicate something DNS related on your domain that Tiger ignored but that Leopard is more fussy about. Also remember that with Leopard Open Directory is now integrated into the client as well as server product- NETINFO has been deprecated. They worked differently at local level and when binding to AD!

Hope that helps,

Paul
    As requested here are the dsconfigad results:

Last login: Mon Apr 21 10:05:45 on console
    rm-918a33376752:~ localadmin$ dsconfigad -show

You are not bound to Active Directory:

Advanced Options - User Experience
    Create mobile account at login = Disabled
    Require confirmation = Enabled
    Force home to startup disk = Enabled
    Use Windows UNC path for home = Enabled
    Network protocol to be used = smb: