+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, dot mac account in Technical; Am considering getting a dot mac account http://www.apple.com/uk/dotmac/ but was wondering ( probably a daft question ) Do they support ...

Thank Post

dot mac account

Am considering getting a dot mac account

http://www.apple.com/uk/dotmac/

but was wondering ( probably a daft question )

Do they support mysql databases or anything like that or would that require getting my own web hosting and paying for it as I am guessing a dot mac account would not support something like that as I am thinking that the dot mac account is for normal every day people who only want a quick and easy website without any back end stuff.

Thank Post
    just for every day people i believe

Thank Post
    ok fair enough - apparently there is support for php, just iweb obviously does not have that built in.

Would there be any way to get a mysql or other format of database online to use as a backend .

Bottom line is i dont want to buy a dot mac account for 74 quid a year and then have to pay for web hosting which will probably be another 70 quid or so. As the dot mac accoutn already has basic web hosting capabilitys and seems a shame to go for normal web hosting.

Thank Post
    no need to spend 74 search ebay for dot mac and you will only pay around 40-50 its only a code that activates .mac.most sellers just email you the code i have done this in the last 2 years

mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markcuk View Post
    no need to spend 74 search ebay for dot mac and you will only pay around 40-50 its only a code that activates .mac.most sellers just email you the code i have done this in the last 2 years

mark
    if you do this, do you get the full year or do you only get whats left on the account time wise ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    if you do this, do you get the full year or do you only get whats left on the account time wise ?
    full year you are buying the same product that apple sell at there stupid prices

Thank Post

It's worth it

Apple's .Mac service isn't too shabby if you ask me. Yes, there are other online (and free- yadayada) services. The price?

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...ple&nplm=MA927

You can buy more storage and addresses.

Advantages(?) to .Mac are Sync, Backup, iWeb integration is nice, Photo gallery support and "Back to my Mac" service (which has worked extremely well for me but could be done with Logmein).

Having said all that, I love it. It's the only professional service I have found out there amongst lots of free offerings and is the only account I use along with my GMX account for serious email. I have been a .Mac user for around five years

Oh- and no PHP or MySQL on .Mac. It's not a "Web Hosting" site and doesn't claim to be one. If you *really* need those things then look elsewhere. I said *really* because a lot of people think they need those things, sign up for webspace that lets you do it, and then don't *really* know how to do it or what to do with it

Now I wait patiently for the backlash

Paul

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I definitely agree about it not being a web hosting service, but it is a file hosting service that gives you a web front-end.

I've been a user since it arrived too and haven't looked back. Saved me hours of grief ensuring my address book, etc is the same across both machines until recently. Now I also use the Plaxo plug-in to hook in with other services (LinkedIn, etc) ...

It is possible to have all the individual bits provided elsewhere ... but it is the fact that it is all in one place that saves time and effort.

I used to be a SpyMac user too ... that was fun and funky until they decided to be all about web 2.0. Note to others ... web 2.0 is *not* always a good move!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
    Apple's .Mac service isn't too shabby if you ask me. Yes, there are other online (and free- yadayada) services. The price?

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...ple&nplm=MA927

You can buy more storage and addresses.

Advantages(?) to .Mac are Sync, Backup, iWeb integration is nice, Photo gallery support and "Back to my Mac" service (which has worked extremely well for me but could be done with Logmein).

Having said all that, I love it. It's the only professional service I have found out there amongst lots of free offerings and is the only account I use along with my GMX account for serious email. I have been a .Mac user for around five years

Oh- and no PHP or MySQL on .Mac. It's not a "Web Hosting" site and doesn't claim to be one. If you *really* need those things then look elsewhere. I said *really* because a lot of people think they need those things, sign up for webspace that lets you do it, and then don't *really* know how to do it or what to do with it

Now I wait patiently for the backlash

Paul
    I think someone above posted with re to getting dot mac off of ebay cheaper so am most likely going to go down that road and get a dot mac family account and from there just go with a web hosting company for the other stuff as you said already.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread