+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, BRU Server in Technical; I am using a evaluation of BRU Server as I am looking to Backup our data from our Apple XRAID ...
    Thank Post

BRU Server

I am using a evaluation of BRU Server as I am looking to Backup our data from our Apple XRAID box and backup every weekend to our Adaptec SNAP Server 520 NAS. I am having trouble adding the SNAP server to "Servers authorized to backup this client" area.

I know the IP address is correct and am using the password for the local admin on the SNAP server, I have tried all the admin passwords I can think of but It just doesnt accept the connection. I get a message "connection to server, connection refused". please check ip address and/or password and try again. Please ensure you have not exceeeded the licensed number of clients for your server.

Can anyone help me with this query.

Thank you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    I am using a evaluation of BRU Server as I am looking to Backup our data from our Apple XRAID box and backup every weekend to our Adaptec SNAP Server 520 NAS. I am having trouble adding the SNAP server to "Servers authorized to backup this client" area.

I know the IP address is correct and am using the password for the local admin on the SNAP server, I have tried all the admin passwords I can think of but It just doesnt accept the connection. I get a message "connection to server, connection refused". please check ip address and/or password and try again. Please ensure you have not exceeeded the licensed number of clients for your server.

Thank you.
    This option is for when you have one media server and multiple clients.

Code:
    OSX1              OSX2            OSX3
    Bru Server        Bru Client      Bru Client
    Tape Drive        XRAID
    OSX1 doesn't need this set, OSX2 and 3 need to have OSX1 added so that it can pull the files from them to put onto tape.

This setting is nothing to do with the snap server, just for BRU media servers to backup other servers which only have the client installed

Thank Post
    I dont understand what I am doing wrong here.

I purchased BRU Server with 2 licenses and am struggling to get past the configuration stage, well actually I cant even get in to configure.

Ok so I have an apple server which is running 10.4.11 which Tolis claim it supports and I have a NAS Box and I want to back the data on the XRAID and then send that to my nas box. Nas box is a adaptec SNAP server 520.

So on the mac server I have installed the complete server package which includes the BRU server componenet, server agent and console.

So all three components are installed and I have put in the licensing information in the server component area. What do I do now. I had to put some passwords in at the initial setup which I have and also started the ncessary services

It says when I installed that the server component should only be installed on the machine which is the destination for the backups but with the snap server I cant install software onto it as it's only a storage area for files and has an embedded os on there (guardian OS).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do?

Thank Post

Thank you.
    i haven't got any experience of using bru but i have a liittle bit of experience in using other backup solutions.

i think the problem is you're trying to add you're snap server as a backup client. This simply won't work as you can't install the bru client agent on the snap server and in any case you're actually wanting to use the snap server as the disk staging device from the way you've described it NOT a device to actually backup. In typical media/master server backup environment each client that needs backing up requires an agent to be installed. Backup jobs are then coordinated by the media server, which will typically host the tape drive. You're basically trying to configure the wrong option for you're environment.

now there may be a way for you to backup via IP to the snap (effectively using the SNAP server as the target for you're backup data. But you'd need to maybe setup the SNAP as a licensed disk library (or whatever term Tolis use for backing up to NAS) if the bru supports backup to disk via IP. I'm doubtful you can do this, but do a bit more digging.

google 'BRU disk backup' 'BRU D2D' or 'BRU CIFS backup' or something similar. And check the bru documentation. see if there any white papers on backup to disk over IP for the bru product.
    Last edited by torledo; 7th February 2008 at 01:20 PM.

Thank Post
    I dont understand what I am doing wrong here.

I purchased BRU Server with 2 licenses and am struggling to get past the configuration stage, well actually I cant even get in to configure.

Ok so I have an apple server which is running 10.4.11 which Tolis claim it supports and I have a NAS Box and I want to back the data on the XRAID and then send that to my nas box. Nas box is a adaptec SNAP server 520.

So on the mac server I have installed the complete server package which includes the BRU server componenet, server agent and console.

So all three components are installed and I have put in the licensing information in the server component area. What do I do now. I had to put some passwords in at the initial setup which I have and also started the ncessary services

It says when I installed that the server component should only be installed on the machine which is the destination for the backups but with the snap server I cant install software onto it as it's only a storage area for files and has an embedded os on there (guardian OS).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do?
    You are going to need to use the BRU server console to set the disk staging options if you want it to write files to the NAS, you will also have to mount a NAS share on the Xserve to use in the staging options. Chapter 5 of the admin guide http://www.tolisgroup.com/docs/pdf/B...e_01.10.08.pdf covers disk staging. With only the nas its going to be a little limited in terms of versions as it isn't a virtual tape library - there is only one store (although you can change the path manually).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread