+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Macs often refuse authentiaction against AD in Technical; We have 20 iMacs in our music department and we used Directory services to set up AD authentication with our ...

Thank Post

Macs often refuse authentiaction against AD

We have 20 iMacs in our music department and we used Directory services to set up AD authentication with our Windows 2003 server. Authentication works, but every couple of days it decides not to work and we need to go back in to Directory Services, unbin from the AD server and rebind and then it works fine for another few days. It is driving our head of music mad!

Anyone else had this? Anyone know a solution? We will throw money at an Apple server if this is going to fix it but the when the authentication works it is fine and users log on correctly and everything is locked down just like it is on Windows clients.

We use Ranger on our network - if that makles any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer . . .

Thank Post
    I haven't experienced that problem myself so i don't know what the solution is. Maybe you could post the system.log from an affected mac for us to look at.
    I can tell you that buying an OSX server won't hold the problem in any way as it is still the client machines that communicate with your AD servers.

Matt

Thank Post
    Thanks, saundersmatt, I will grab the relevant part of the system log as soon as the problem next occurs.

Thank Post
    I would log in locally when you cannot log in and check that the time is correct. I have had problems before with the clock being 1 hour fast.

By the way what version of OS 10 do you use?

Ross

Thank Post
    You're probably aware of this, but just making sure, with regards to authentication not taking place. Do ensure that the system time on the Mac's is exactly the same as the OS X Server and Windows Domain Controllers. Otherwise authentication fails; a security feature part of Mac OS X I believe.

You'd be surprised how long it took me to work out why every now and then a Mac or two would stop authenticating!
    I posted this a while ago on another thread http://edugeek.net/forums/showthread.php?p=120952.

You could possibly be having the same issue. Perhaps running your own NTP server might help?

Thank Post
    Thanks, guys, it could well be the time settings. I will check in the morning and if the time has drifted will set up time syncing with the server.

Fingers crossed that you've hit the nail on the head!

I will report back.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately it wasn't a clock issue. The time on the Macs and on the servers is in perfect synch

I tried logging onto a Mac today, which wouldn't log me on. I logged on locally and tried accessing a logfile. Which logfile should I be looking at? System.log? There didn't appear to be anything in it of any relevance to AD authentication.

Thank Post
    I now have a system.log file which shows us trying to log in as an AD user. Some of the messages are a bit cryptic so if anyone can shed any light on the problem I'd be most grateful.

The logfile is available by clicking here

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Try putting DirectoryServices in debug mode with a "killall -USR1 DirectoryService", then tail the log with, "tail -f /Library/Logs/ DirectoryService/DirectoryService.debug.log | grep ADPlug" and watch it while you bind. Make sure you reboot or killall DirectoryService again so you don't grow a giant log file.

Thank Post
    I've spent many hours sat in front of the AD debug logs, and its never been very helpful

What sort of "unable to login" are you getting? The shaking screen or the AFP or SMB share is unavailable message?

If it happens at boot then it can be because the DS plugin takes a while to start up.

Thank Post
    We get the shaking screen time after time. If we log in to the local machine and unbind, then rebind, we can subsequently log in successfully with an AD username/password. The first attempt after rebinding always results in an smb error - a message telling us that we are attempting to login to an smb volume. The second time always works fine. Things will remain fine for several days, then we are back to square one.

Thank Post
    Can you log in locally and then log out and log back in as a network user straight after?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scgf View Post
    We get the shaking screen time after time. If we log in to the local machine and unbind, then rebind, we can subsequently log in successfully with an AD username/password. The first attempt after rebinding always results in an smb error - a message telling us that we are attempting to login to an smb volume. The second time always works fine. Things will remain fine for several days, then we are back to square one.
    To solve that:

sudo nano /etc/hostconfig

and change automount from -auto- to -no- (or equivalent, can't remember off hand if it's no or disabled)

Thank Post
    Jan 23 10:51:05 MC-MU1-04 DirectoryService[44]: Active Directory: Could not determine closest Domain Controller from Site information in directory
    The above error from your log.

When you bind to AD. Try defining the server. I know it's possible but once again can't remember off hand. If you're stuck give me a shout and i'll have a look on a mac on monday.

Matt

Thank Post
    Jan 23 10:56:52 MC-MU1-04 /System/Library/CoreServices/mcxd.app/Contents/MacOS/mcxd: DSOpenNode(): dsOpenDirNode("/Active Directory/All Domains") == -14002
    That looks to be your error.

Just a few questions. Have you binded your mac server to Active directory? Did you add a kerberos realm as well if you added the mac server to AD?

Also try the auto mount fix that fixed a lot of problems for me. You may also wanna try the easy fix is to rebind the workstation to AD.

Ross

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast