+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Macs often refuse authentiaction against AD in Technical; Thanks for your help, guys. I am trying the /etc/hostconfig automount solution this morning. In reply to Ross, we don't ...

Thank Post
    Thanks for your help, guys. I am trying the /etc/hostconfig automount solution this morning.

In reply to Ross, we don't have any sort of Mac server, we are authenticating directly against AD. I used Directory Services to set up AD authentication and binded it. Not sure what a kerberos realm is :-(

Cheers.
    Last edited by scgf; 28th January 2008 at 12:56 PM.

Thank Post
    I've found an even worse bug in 10.5.1 that you can look forward to.

Once I have logged in, no other users can login until the machine is rebooted due to some permissions issue on the mount.

Thank Post
    Resurrecting an old topic, but I've just had two machines with broken AD.

When I looked in the AD plugin the details for the AD domain were some random entries, not the correct domain. It's a bit odd that it has managed to change all by itself, but I don't think anyone else could have changed it as the binding was still active.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We had a music technician with local admin access on the music macs and after there had been some building work in the lab the macs were all out of order. Rather than pick them up and move them he decided to rename them ... or rather he renamed the share name as he understood bugger all about how they were hooked up to the AD (not that we would have given him that access!).

This did cause us problems of bizarre computer names that didn't match up to those in the AD and so binding was subsequently broken. The annoying thing was that this tool a few weeks to develop and it happened a bit at a time. It was only after we had to rename and fix 4 machines that I went round and check them all.

Thank Post
    The biggest problem I find with os x is problem diagnosis. While there are extensive logs, they don't actually contain very much useful information.

This leads to a great deal of shouting at various machines because the "shaking log on box" doesn't actually convey much as an error :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    I've found an even worse bug in 10.5.1 that you can look forward to.

Once I have logged in, no other users can login until the machine is rebooted due to some permissions issue on the mount.
    Hi,

Did you ever resolve this problem, I am getting the same issue. I can login as one user on my imac (AD user). Try to login as a different user and no avail. Are there any fixes for this.

Regards

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swintle View Post
    Hi,

Did you ever resolve this problem, I am getting the same issue. I can login as one user on my imac (AD user). Try to login as a different user and no avail. Are there any fixes for this.

Regards

Steve
    I've not fixed it as so far it's only my machine running 10.5. I think it might be something to do with administrative privileges though and what happens to the auto mount folders. Try a non admin test user after a reboot and then see if another normal user can login afterwards.

Thank Post
    I have another one for the 10.5.1 buglist - it won't authenticate with our ISA 2006 firewall.

Thank Post

now it seems intermitent

Now the iMac seems to have a mind of its own, I can log off from an AD account and it refuses to logon to another.

Ill try the first account and it refues, try another account and this time it will log me on. There doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules.

Has anybody out there had a similar issue.

Regards

Steve.

Thank Post
    I have worked out what the problem with trying to relogin as another user is with 10.5. When the first user logs in, the sharepoint for their home folder is mounted, when they logout it is not unmounted and remains "busy" is you try to unmount it manually. If the next user to attempt login has a folder on the same sharepoint then they can login. If they do not, you get the error message appear when you try to login (not just the shake).

I've been testing (a little - need more) with disabling automount for network drives, the user still gets their home folder mounted by the ad plugin, but it no longer remains mounted when they logout so another user will login sucessfully. I have no idea if there are any bad side effects yet, but I really don't want a single sharepoint for all user folders. I have commented out the the following in the /etc/auto_master config file as below

Code:
    #/Network/Servers       -fstab

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12