+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Mac Book Air ? in Technical; Was just wondering if the mac book pro's that they are selling also are able to do those new track ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts

Mac Book Air ?

Was just wondering if the mac book pro's that they are selling also are able to do those new track pad actions ie flip, rotate, pinch etc like the mac book air does ?

Is that just apart of OS X 10.5 or is that only for the mac book air ?

Thank Post
    I believe its just the Mac book air, wow is it amazing. check out the video on the apple website for the Air, brilliant piece of hardware.

Its a new innvoation which has been added in the iphone, itouch and the new air.

Thank Post
    yeah just a shame it doesn't have as much power as the mac book pro or at the very least that they haven't transferred the trackpad actions to the mac book pro line via an update whether it be a firmware / driver or w/e.

Would be nice to be able to enable / disable that feature on a mac book pro for iphoto or apperture etc

Thank Post
    Looks good.

My only concern with something so small is battery running time.......
    I like the trackpad features as well...how long before MS offer it under new names ?

Thank Post
    there was a video on youtube not long ago showing a PC with such a device running XP.

and here it is, it was at CES

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QVxZZ5ryG7g

I assume this is the same as apples current trackpad that can detect 2 finger gestures, dont know if they can detect 3 like the new Air trackpad.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rrichmond View Post
    Looks good.

My only concern with something so small is battery running time.......
    I like the trackpad features as well...how long before MS offer it under new names ?
    The battery lifetime is apparently five hours on a full charge.

To be honest, while I happily admit that the Macbook Air is an incredible piece of engineering, I wouldn't want one. For starters, it has a 13.3" screen which is imo too big for what's supposed to be a subnotebook. It has one USB port. No ethernet port. No optical drive (although I admit I'm perhaps being overly picky there). And a sealed in, non user replaceable battery.

Most of those are forgivable but one usb port? FFS! So you either have the choice of having one peripheral plugged in or having a USB hub and/or port replicator hanging off the back of your machine, neither of which would be an appealing solution. I think they dropped the ball with this one.

Thank Post
    I think a lot of people are forgetting that the emphasis of this machine is "Air".

I think it is looking at an alternative way to work as well as being a very lightweight and portable device.

I am by no means saying that its the best piece of equipment ever to grace you presence but you do have to admire the ingenuity to come up with something that has drastically reduced the foot print of a system and use the latest technology at the same time.

The HDD size is small since it is a 1.8 " device. They could have used the Ipod HDD (there must be a reason why they didn't) and the SSD is spanking new. How many other devices have cutting edge SSD inside a laptop at 64GB in size?

To put yourself constantly in the frame for implementing new ideas and ways of working while using the latest technologies is always going to be a risky game and most companies in ICT just stick to the safe game where they all look the same and at a mid-range price just to keep ticking over. If all companies were the same there would never be any advancement.

I for one am glad that a company such as Apple are willing to try and give alternatives to working environments and methods and advancing hardware technologies. I love the excitement of when one of their products is launched, good or bad. It's not just Apple either. I am looking forward to seeing the Microsoft Table. It's just their products come with a stigma attached as well.

Thank Post
    Im not after a mac book air i just wanted to know if the trackpad actions are transferrable whether it be by a driver or software update.

Seem to be going a bit off topic ( could be wrong )

Anywho, any answers to this ?

Thank Post
    rather have a macbook pro for that type of money. Although it does look good

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread