+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Mac Mini Wi-Fi in Technical; Hello My photos and music are taking up a lot of space on my iMac. Been thinking about getting a ...
    Thank Post

Mac Mini Wi-Fi

Hello

My photos and music are taking up a lot of space on my iMac. Been thinking about getting a mac mini and putting them all on there and hooking it up to the TV. Loose my DVD player and get a bluetooth keyboard and gyro mouse - I reckon I could get the domestic boss to go along with that.

Sounds a bit silly when I type this aloud but what is the best way to make the mac mini connect with my wireless network / router. Presumably the mac mini is not wireless and I can get similar kit as apple would offer but at a better price. Recommendations?

Also I would imagine I would fill the disk in a year or two. Is it easy to swap out the hard disk for something with a larger capacity or is it a PITA ?

Time Capsule after this :-)

TIA

Darren

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have got wireless on my Mac Mini but not sure if I added it or was extra.

Russ

Thank Post

What I know

As far as I know Mac Mini's are wireless as standard. In fact they are bluetooth as standard. I will admit to having a Mac Mini instead of a telly. I watch lots of DVD's instead. All in all I would go with a Mac Mini wireless but with a hard wired connection to where ever you are storing the media (pretty much what I have now) The only thing I would change is the wireless keyboard as it eats batteries. If I bought it all again I would go for wired keyboard and mouse.
    It is pretty easy to get VNC working so why would you need a keyboard?

But then what do I know )

4. Thanks to beings from:

dagza (25th January 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dagza View Post
    Also I would imagine I would fill the disk in a year or two. Is it easy to swap out the hard disk for something with a larger capacity or is it a PITA ?
    You can buy snazzy external harddrives the same shape, size and colour as your Mac Mini, allowing you to stack them on top of each other. These will probably be USB2, but you might be able to get eSATA by now (anyone know if you can specify a Mac Mini with eSATA connection?).

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    You can buy snazzy external harddrives the same shape, size and colour as your Mac Mini, allowing you to stack them on top of each other. These will probably be USB2, but you might be able to get eSATA by now (anyone know if you can specify a Mac Mini with eSATA connection?).

--
    David Hicks
    Et Voilla - http://www.microwarehouse.co.uk/cata...utm_medium=pcc the matching hard drive (I am no means saying they are the cheapest source but first site i hit that had them on)

7. Thanks to john from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    Not sure what the speed difference would be like between gigabit versus usb 2.0 or firewire 400 but you could possibly get a gigabit switch and a gigabit NAS and the other gigabit ports on the switch would allow you to add more gigabit NAS drives later on and would free up the usb and firewire port(s) on the mac mini.

Just a thought.

Thank Post
    I have the mac mini for my TV with the "snazy" Lacie HD it comes with a firewire and usb cables to plug into the MAC mini. Also the HD is a USB hub and adds another 4 ports(I think). The Latest MAC mini's have N standard wifi too.

For the price/size definitely the best home cinema solution IMO

10. Thanks to Mr_T from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    I have EyeTv and EyeHome (both 50, one from Apple, one from Ebay), so I can record on my mac, then stream to my TV downstairs or my ipod touch.

Those Apple TVs are tempting though...

Thank Post

Thumbs up Mac Mini + TV

It was the new apple TV that got me to consider the mac mini. Sure the mini is a lot more expensive but it will be able to do the same and more (like release 120 gig from my imac)

I have ordered a mac mini to replace my DVD player and I will also put my photos and music on . Saved about 40 quid or so going through the education store. I think I need an adapter and component leads to plug it into my TV but will wait until it arrives. My TV does VGA but this is at the front so would look ugly with the panel open but I may put up with that for the mo.

Anyhoo, I may also get TVmax+ so I can just rip things from the Sky box to the mac (for work or keepsy). I have a great little device that does similar (firewire to component) but it is broke

Speaking of being broke, what mac software would be useful for a machine hooked up to a TV beyond iTunes, iPhoto, DVD player and Front Row ?

Darren
    Last edited by dagza; 25th January 2008 at 10:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dagza View Post

Speaking of being broke, what mac software would be useful for a machine hooked up to a TV beyond iTunes, iPhoto, DVD player and Front Row ?
    I would highly recommend EyeTV for 50.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread