Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, "Active Directory time error" when binding OS X Server 10.5 to Active Directory in Technical; I've just received a bunch of new Apple gear and OS X server 10.5, and I am trying to join ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries

"Active Directory time error" when binding OS X Server 10.5 to Active Directory

I've just received a bunch of new Apple gear and OS X server 10.5, and I am trying to join it to the domain for authentication.

I am in Directory Utility and have gone to the services screen and entered the domain. I click bind, enter the username and password, confirm the OU is correct and click OK.

It then does a couple of stages (flashes through authenticating) and then pops up with an error 'Active Directory time error' 'Active Directory only permits sliight variations between clocks on your computer and on the Active Directory server. You should check the time and time zone settings on your computer and reset them if needed.'

Now, I have checked the times on both, and they both pull their times from the same time server - so there is no difference. Both are set to british as the format for dates etc, and the time zone is set to GMT on both.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, we now seem to have solved the issue. Even though the times were appearing the same, something odd was happening with the ntpd service on the os x server and shutting it down, then binding, then starting it up seems to have done the trick.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    NTPD is fussy. If the time is too far off, it'll just shut down.

AustenLowe
    I got something going on just like this with a mac mini running 10.5, its very odd indeed, during the bind process to my domain, it accepts the password and fails at stage 5 complaining about the credentials, after checking the console its failing to rename the workstation.

Entering incorrect credentials provides a different failure message, and the account is the domain administrator account.
    Last edited by AustenLowe; 17th January 2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: diplexiplaa

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AustenLowe View Post
    I got something going on just like this with a mac mini running 10.5, its very odd indeed, during the bind process to my domain, it accepts the password and fails at stage 5 complaining about the credentials, after checking the console its failing to rename the workstation.

Entering incorrect credentials provides a different failure message, and the account is the domain administrator account.
    I seem to be getting this sometimes too. I solved it by creating the computer in the AD and using a different domain admin account.

Thank Post
    I have tried the suggestion regards the ntpd - but am still getting the AD time error.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Also, is there any way to add an internal windows time server to the used list of time servers on a Mac OSX 10.4machine? (Client and Server).

Thank Post
    Click in the box where it says time.euro.apple and then type in the Ip address.

Thank Post
    great thanks - can't believe it was that simple!
    Any ideas about the AD time error? Only change from the above comments is that i am running 10.4.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread