+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, AD/OD User folder / default save in Technical; Seems to be the time of year for user folder queries! We have our triangle set up (Active and Open ...

Thank Post

AD/OD User folder / default save

Seems to be the time of year for user folder queries!

We have our triangle set up (Active and Open Directory), and users configured with Workgroup Manager. With 'Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive network home location' checked in the advanced binding options in Directory Utility we can add a dock item that opens the students home folder (on our Windows servers). (This is the 'AddDockMCXOriginalNetworkHomeFolder' 'MCX Special Folder').

So students can open their work folder but when they are in an application (Cubase for instance) and go to save their work there is no way to access their folder.

I should mention that we are using the simple finder, and have hidden network locations etc, Lion on clients, Mountain Lion on the server (not ideal, I know).

It seems crazy that the Mac has (obviously) mounted the users Windows folder but doesn't list it as a location in any save dialogs.

Anyone got any smart ideas as how to do this? Even a link within their Home would help. Anyone know where the mounted folder would be?

Thank Post
    Simple Finder. For shame

You need to uncheck "Force local home directory on startup disk" in Directory Utility.

Thank Post
    Hopefully I can help? The Simple Finder setting may seem like a good idea at first but can very quickly become too restrictive. In the main I would tend to use it in an Infant and Primary school setting. It tends to be unhelpful, in my experience, in a senior school setting.

This sounds like an unfamiliarity with the OS issue more than anything else? Using the normal Finder setting the Open/Save dialog box (by default) is presented in a simplified way at first and simply clicking the down arrow to the right of the document name field will expand the dialog box and automatically place the end user at the root of their home folder.

Altering how the open/save dialog box presents itself is something that can be controlled with a managed setting.

By default text-based applications will automatically 'direct' themselves to the users Documents folder. This will be the 'Mac Documents' folder and not necessarily the 'Windows My Documents/Documents' folder. Students are usually guided by teaching or IT staff or sometimes their own intuition (amazingly some of them do have it!) to navigate their home folder structure and select the 'right' folder themselves.

When using mac specific music applications such as GarageBand, Logic etc, or Video such as iMovie, FCP etc, the Save Dialog Box will automatically 'direct' the user to their mac Pictures and mac Movies folder that are also (by default) part of their 'mac' home folder structure. It may prove useful (assuming you've not done so?) to take time exploring the mac OS first, especially the home folder structure, so when the invetible questions such as this arise they can be quickly dealt with.

Once a document has been saved, the application will 'remember' the last saved location and present it again the next time the application is used. Because of the way applications are written for the mac it's not something that can be easily managed using WorkGroup or Profile Manager. It's really part of what the user is supposed to experience and become familiar with when using and navigating the mac OS.

Antonio Rocco (ACN)

Thank Post
    @furby - many thanks for the reply but we don't have "Force local home directory on startup disk" checked in Directory Utility.

@AntonioRocco - also many thanks for the reply. My focus is trying to get the macs to be able to save to the users work folders, and although the Mac has mounted their Windows folder (and this appears in the dock) it isn't available in any save dialog, with either the simple or full finder. You say

Altering how the open/save dialog box presents itself is something that can be controlled with a managed setting.
    Where is this in Workgroup Manager? Is there a specific plist you are referring to?

Otherwise I don't mind doing a bit of scripting / linking if someone could enlighten me as to where the mount is?

Many thanks,
    Peter

Thank Post
    In that case it should default to their network home folder then.

In Finder when you get info (cmd +i) on Documents or Desktop etc. Does it show the network folder/server like the user below

Attachment 26265
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png d.png (73.8 KB, 16 views)

Thank Post
    Nope, if I cmd+i on the desktop the 'Where' is /Users/Username. Obviously something is not working correctly.

Thank Post
    Yep, you're not geting folder redirection. I don't use workgroup manager so can't help you if there's a setting in there for force local home directory I don't know it.

When you open up directory utility and -> directory editor do you see the home folder populated with the SMB Home and Home Directory settings?
    AD.jpg
    Last edited by furby; 8th September 2014 at 11:54 AM.

Thank Post
    Think I've cracked it, was settings in Directory Utility, Search Policy.

Say our domain is 'school.internal'. The default for the Active Directory search policy after binding seems to be '/Active Directory/school/All Domains'. Changing this to '/Active Directory/school/school.internal' worked.

Many thanks to furby for the clues - using the Directory Editor enabled me to search for a user against the various possibilities ( '/Active Directory/school/All Domains', '/Active Directory/school', '/Active Directory/school/school.internal'), the one that found the user was correct!

After a restart SMB home and home directory are as furbys screenshot, in full finder (yes we will use it) the user home and documents etc all point to the network location. Yay!

Thank Post
    Awesome, glad you got it working and imagine that will help someone else in the future.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread