+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Help - New Macs and iPads - need help setting up in Technical; Been a little let down by the company that is supposed to be helping in setting these up and training; ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Help - New Macs and iPads - need help setting up

Been a little let down by the company that is supposed to be helping in setting these up and training; so with little time left I need to get these setup and running.

We've got a batch of iMacs on the network, AD integrated.

I've got 10 iPads not taken out of the box.

I'm trying to get myself up to speed on these, but with the usual pressures during Summer we're struggling. I'm reading stuff left, right and centre, but need a clear direction on getting things setup. Macs are not my bag...yet, so I need a quick check list to get where we need to be.

iPads - to be used by PE Department (!), not a 1:1 to solution but iPads will be handed out as and when required. I need to lock these down and ensure they are controlled correctly.

iMacs need software to be installed (we have a base image done and deployed), but have got redemption codes for things like Logic X ready to redeem. Not sure where to begin in terms of Apple ID etc.

I'm struggling where to start. Looking at Apple Configurator, but also looking at Meraki. I have a VPP application on the go at the moment. But would appreciate a quick check list of what I should be doing and in what order to get these working.

Big ask, I know.

Thanks

Pete

Thank Post
    VPP will only really help if you're purchasing apps in quantities of 20 or more. If you've only got 10 iPads Apple Configurator will probably be your best bet. It's not too difficult to use and you can lock things down more than just setting up the iPads manually. I'll leave others to give you the specifics. I'm sure we've a few people on here with decent experience on this.

3. Thanks to Sam_Brown from:

FragglePete (28th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts
    Apple configurator here installed on IMac, base install of free apps, give full autonomy to staff and let them deal with the devices.

Works extremely well and you don't have to lock the devices down too tightly as the internet access is governed by radius on smoothwall and the students and staff are policed by policy assigned to this group.

voila!

5. Thanks to bossman from:

Thank Post

Help - New Macs and iPads - need help setting up

If you're new to setting up iPads I would suggest doing the first few iPads manually.

Take screenshots (press home button and sleep/wake button simultaneously) at each stage of configuration.

These are saved to the Camera Roll (Photos), use these as a guide to help you to replicate the process on the next iPad.

Once you have activated the iPad and installed all the required apps, you could use the Configurator to make a backup of the iPad and then Restore that backup image to the remaining iPads (USB hub very useful here to configure multiple iPads simultaneously) essentially cloning them.

If you have a Mac running OSX 10.9 Mavericks and the Server App, then you can use Profile Manager to configure restrictions etc and deploy apps

Alternatively you could use Meraki as it is free and is a simple way to deploy profiles, configure restrictions etc, with the added bonus of being cloud based.

If you will have sole responsibility for the iPads and you want them locked down as much as possible, consider making them "Supervised" devices.

Meraki allows you to locate devices in a similar way to "Find my iPhone" through iCloud.com and with similar features such as remote lock, remote wipe, send message and play sound.
    It has more features than I have time to list, but you can manage windows, iPod, iPhone, Mac, android and chrome devices as well.

If you're not very experienced with OSX, then sign up to Meraki as it's fairly straight forward to get started and is a powerful tool.

I hope this is helpful.

Sent from my iPad using EduGeek
    Last edited by jfairbairn; 27th August 2014 at 11:51 PM.

7. Thanks to jfairbairn from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestions; we finally had a session on Friday with our ICT Supplier that involved getting a basic understanding.

We purchased Apple Remote Desktop and am using that to manage the iMacs (installing software, etc). On the iPads, using Apple Configurator to Supervise them and using Meraki to generally look after them. Early days, but at a point where they will be usable next week and we can build from there. It's only a small number overall at this stage, but have a feeling these will be the thin edge of the wedge.

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread