+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, iMovie 10.0.3 on a Network Home Directory network in Technical; Hi All, I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on inability to save to a Network Home on ...
    Thank Post

Question iMovie 10.0.3 on a Network Home Directory network

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on inability to save to a Network Home on the new iMovie (10+). We run our mac network just like any other, where the Home directories are mounted from the Mac server and we manage the Macs by Centrify Enterprise.

The teachers would very much like to use iMovie 10+ however, it just fails so badly when we try to use it. Is there some sort of work around by using Symlinks or similar? This seems to be the same sort of issue, but not on an enterprise scale ofcourse. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5467989?tstart=0
    Any sort of input gratefully received.

Tom
    Last edited by TomPearceGeek; 4th August 2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: URL Incorrect

Thank Post
    I believe that it's just not workable, same as when using Logic. You'll need to save the work locally, then the users can copy it from the local disk back and forth to the network storage location. It's a pain, but it's due to the huge amount of disk I/O that it needs. It'll kind of work with one user, but with a class doing it - no.

Your options are IME:

A beasty dedicated box in the Mac suite connected via Firewire 800/Lightning.
    A super-duper NAS (of industry type) that is dedicated to the Macs for this purpose (I looked into this, and the type of device needed is eye-wateringly expensive)
    USB/Firewire/Lightning devices for each Mac (the cheapest and easiest)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    I believe that it's just not workable, same as when using Logic. You'll need to save the work locally, then the users can copy it from the local disk back and forth to the network storage location. It's a pain, but it's due to the huge amount of disk I/O that it needs. It'll kind of work with one user, but with a class doing it - no.

Your options are IME:

A beasty dedicated box in the Mac suite connected via Firewire 800/Lightning.
    A super-duper NAS (of industry type) that is dedicated to the Macs for this purpose (I looked into this, and the type of device needed is eye-wateringly expensive)
    USB/Firewire/Lightning devices for each Mac (the cheapest and easiest)
    We have a Fibre Channel Active storage raid directly on the mac network which is totally dedicated to the Macs if you might call that super-duper?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread