+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Profile manager / Configurator in Technical; Can anyone tell me the deal here? I'm just looking in all the places I can think of but all ...

Thank Post

Profile manager / Configurator

Can anyone tell me the deal here? I'm just looking in all the places I can think of but all I find are amazing adverts and no instructions on how to download etc.

Are Config and Profile manager two different products I think?

I have 'bought' configurator on the VPP store (it was free) and they've emailed me a receipt which tells me it's now available to distribute - but I can't figure out how to download it to the macbook I'm using.

Then I just don't know where to find Profile manager? Do I download it? If so - where from?

Thanks guys...!!!!

Thank Post
    Yes, they are different.

Configurator is a stand alone app to configure iOS devices https://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/1.5/# which you download from the App Store app.
    Profile manger is to manage iOS devices and also Mac machines (local and over the internet). It is part of the server app https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/os-x...14547929?mt=12

Been brief there, what are you trying to achieve and what versions of iOS and/or Mac OS are you using?

Thank Post
    Well we are moving into Apple territory and need a decent solution for managing iPads. Thinking going down the Apple MDM route is the most sensible as it's all with the same company then - or isn't it the best? Not sure still.

I have borrowed a Macbook temporarily to trial on, but from what I now gather, we'll be needing a mac server - Would this be appropriate? Mac mini - Buy Mac mini Online - Apple Store (UK)

Thank Post
    If all you're interested in is "managing" iPads you don't need the Server App. You don't even need Apple hardware. You could use a web-based MDMs such as Meraki (free) instead. I would recommend using Configurator for initial set-up and mass deployment as it's designed for the job and as already mentioned can only run on Apple hardware.

Most schools with 10 or more iPads generally opt for an entry level MacBook Air and install the free Configurator App afterwards. Other equipment you should consider are sync cases and/or trolleys. As you add more iPads add more cases/trolleys. How much hardware will depend on how you want to deploy, charge and manage what you have not only initially but also for the future.

Other important aspects you should consider is understanding how Apple IDs and APNS work. For example APNS does not play well with most proxies used by most schools.

To be clear Apple have for some time now moved away from dedicated Enterprise hardware and software so there's no such thing as what most people would call a server. What Apple brand as a Mac Server is a standard Mac Mini with two drives instead of one and the Server App pre-installed. Remove the Server App and it reverts back to a bog standard MacMini with two drives. You can just as easily install the Server App on any compatible Apple hardware and it will become your 'Mac Server'.

They've not as yet started to brand their latest Mac Pro in the same way although it's hard to see how that too can be seen as a server?

Antonio Rocco (ACN)
    Last edited by AntonioRocco; 7th July 2014 at 03:41 PM.

5. Thanks to AntonioRocco from:

speckytecky (9th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Apple themselves calls Profile Manager "An MDM on training wheels". It can only support so much, i wouldn't suggest going over 1,000 devices. If you are over 1k i would suggest a third party MDM such as AirWatch/JAMF Casper/Cisco Meraki..etc

Apple Configurator (Legacy Model) is still used in a Multi-user environment
    Apples DEP Program is the new 1:1 User Envioroment

I suggest signing up for the DEP Program, but play around with all the different MDM's they have a lot of similar features but some have some really unique and great stuff.

Thank Post
    Is the Device Enrolment Programme US only?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by furby View Post
    Is the Device Enrolment Programme US only?
    Yes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread