+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Mavericks and Permissions in Technical; Ever since we updated our Macs to Mavericks, we've been getting an issue where the Mac seems to break its ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Mavericks and Permissions

Ever since we updated our Macs to Mavericks, we've been getting an issue where the Mac seems to break its permissions.

Whenever a standard user logs on, they get a line of question marks in their dock and the user doesn't have access to the /Applications folder. Logging on as an administrative user, running Disk Utility and doing a permission repair fixes the problem. However, every so often it happens again and we end up having to go around and fix it. Today it happened on about 40 of our Macs. I'm sure you can imagine what I've been doing this morning...

Anyway, anyone have any clue as to why they might be doing this? They're all running Mavericks, ranging from 10.9.1 and 10.9.3. They're different models, some mid 2010 iMacs, mid 2010 MacBook Pros and some 2013 Mac Minis. They're running different images so it's not an image specific problem. They're all joined to our AD domain but not to an OD.

The only one that I haven't had to repair this morning was a MacBook which isn't joined to the domain so I'm wondering if that's relevant.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Haven't seen this one. There was an issue in 10.9.0 and 10.9.1 where ACL permissions on an SMB2 share could,be corrupted by a mavericks user viewing the ACL permissions on finder. But that was something quite different from this problem.

I suspect there may be something such as Parallels for SCCM causing the problem. Either that or a process or script running at login for an AD user that is corrupting local permissions. There is likely a correlation between the corrupt permissions and domain user logins.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have a sneaking suspicion that you're right. Permissions appear to get b0rked as soon as the Parallels client gets installed. Whether it's actually the Parallels client or something that it ends up installing is another question. Could be the AV for all I know.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that you're right. Permissions appear to get b0rked as soon as the Parallels client gets installed. Whether it's actually the Parallels client or something that it ends up installing is another question. Could be the AV for all I know.
    Anything related to permissions issues with Mavericks/Mavervicks Server and AD/OD is down to SMB2 being broken, check out Apple discussion forums it's chock full of permissions and ACL problems or have a look below, Apple have said there is no current fix..

MacWindows: Mavericks File Sharing Tips and Reports

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    Anything related to permissions issues with Mavericks/Mavervicks Server and AD/OD is down to SMB2 being broken, check out Apple discussion forums it's chock full of permissions and ACL problems or have a look below, Apple have said there is no current fix..

MacWindows: Mavericks File Sharing Tips and Reports
    Yes, but in this case the permissions problems are showing up on the local computer "/Applications" rather than SMB network shares. I don't believe hat is the problem in this case.

6. Thanks to seawolf from:

Norphy (1st July 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I believe I've got it narrowed down. It's definitely being caused by the Parallels SCCM agent. More specifically, it's being caused when the Parallels agent tries to install a piece of software by copying a .app bundle from a DMG. When it installs software from a PKG, it's fine. When it copies a .app bundle, it changes the owner on the /Applications folder to itsupport (The admin user created when OS X was originally installed) and denies access to "Everyone".

Raising a case with Parallels now...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread