+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Is there any screen better than a Mac in Technical; Originally Posted by seawolf Ummm...1920 x 1200 is quite a ways off from 2880 x 1800. But hey - a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Ummm...1920 x 1200 is quite a ways off from 2880 x 1800. But hey - a million or a billion - what's the difference besides 3 extra zeros? Just don't take up a career in accounting.
    Like one extra cheap monitors worth but yes, at the time those were high, the reason Apple is ahead by a margin is because everyone went backwards for a while there. Besides, 'high' PPI is a rather arbitrary line in the sand, suffice it to say that much higher PPI screens than were generally available in laptops from a couple of years ago existed and were used a long time ago and had it kept progressing instead of being hijacked most things would have as good or better screens today.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Coulda, woulda, shoulda I reckon. Just shows how lacking in vision and courage the other manufacturers were/are.

It's kind of like saying that the athlete who constantly choked during crucial moments would have been better than anyone ever, if he hadn't choked constantly. But they weren't great. They choked. Every time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Coulda, woulda, shoulda I reckon. Just shows how lacking in vision and courage the other manufacturers were/are.

It's kind of like saying that the athlete who constantly choked during crucial moments would have been better than anyone ever, if he hadn't choked constantly. But they weren't great. They choked. Every time.
    Apple weren't really ever under the push of Hollywood anyway as even getting a blueray to play was a mission. Not that I am condoning the other manufacturers, you are right, they were stupid and Apple did get back to using higher def screens first.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it was a lack of courage. It was done on purpose to grow profits.

Basically, they cut the market up into segments - consumer/low end and high end.

They assumed that 95% of everyone fit into the first category, and decided that 1366x768 would suit them fine, and as all the panel manufacturers worked together on this (they were fined for the financial side of the fixing activity), no-one had any choice. They then produced the "high end" stuff just like they did before, but bumped the price up, because it was now a niche product.

It was a very capitalist thing to do...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not that Apple would ever do such a thing. They wouldn't...give it away that is. But then again neither would MS, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, Sony, Lenovo, HP, Dell, Samsung, et al. - no, they would all seek to suck as much money out of us that they could.
    I'm sure they would, there are degrees though, Microsoft has Microsoft research which has made lots of stuff and released a bunch of it, they also contribute to and donate to OSS as they realise it benefits them too. Facebook have released a bunch of their developments in their database back end and work with google and the others in ultra dense server work. Google despite their evil have made and released a bunch of stuff open source and worked - yes in their own interests - to get ultra fast internet to some and any internet to others, they have google earth and streetview which are rather decent services that can be used by anyone, likewise Bing maps that uses the excellent nokia maps that don't direct you through airfields. World wide telescope, sketchup, Microsoft robotics studio are all hugely useful tools that can be used by anyone. Google has also been a massive contributor to mapreduce and twitter with non-relational database tech, hp donates to OSS but can't think of anything else this second, likewise to dell.

This is leaving out work by The MS founder who while he has been a massive tool is now with some of the other tech billionaires on the verge of getting rid of malaria. The Google founders donating the use of their personal jets to NASA for research and the huge amounts they have both put into education even if it has not worked out as well as they hoped thanks to unforeseen barriers.

Question is what has Apple or their lorded founder done, build some services that are locked solely to their platform, fork a bunch of tech so that they contribute back comparatively very little given their dependence on it to OSS and buy a shiny boat/car lease deal.

You are right that the other companies would charge for it too but as far as I can see they may actually care enough to give a little back rather than hording it like scrooge mcduck in a tower of gold.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 4th July 2014 at 01:20 PM.

Thank Post
    @SYNACK has a point. @seawolf you've been beaten, let it go

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,182 Posts

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good so they - founders - did manage some charity, my other points still stand though, the pay us to donate some of the profit to help people project does not change the overall theme of Apple as a company not being as charitible as the others with their tech and with their money, at least until a leadership change.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 4th July 2014 at 02:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I'm sure they would, there are degrees though, Microsoft has Microsoft research which has made lots of stuff and released a bunch of it, they also contribute to and donate to OSS as they realise it benefits them too. Facebook have released a bunch of their developments in their database back end and work with google and the others in ultra dense server work. Google despite their evil have made and released a bunch of stuff open source and worked - yes in their own interests - to get ultra fast internet to some and any internet to others, they have google earth and streetview which are rather decent services that can be used by anyone, likewise Bing maps that uses the excellent nokia maps that don't direct you through airfields. World wide telescope, sketchup, Microsoft robotics studio are all hugely useful tools that can be used by anyone. Google has also been a massive contributor to mapreduce and twitter with non-relational database tech, hp donates to OSS but can't think of anything else this second, likewise to dell.

This is leaving out work by The MS founder who while he has been a massive tool is now with some of the other tech billionaires on the verge of getting rid of malaria. The Google founders donating the use of their personal jets to NASA for research and the huge amounts they have both put into education even if it has not worked out as well as they hoped thanks to unforeseen barriers.

Question is what has Apple or their lorded founder done, build some services that are locked solely to their platform, fork a bunch of tech so that they contribute back comparatively very little given their dependence on it to OSS and buy a shiny boat/car lease deal.

You are right that the other companies would charge for it too but as far as I can see they may actually care enough to give a little back rather than hording it like scrooge mcduck in a tower of gold.
    Who's wearing the rose coloured glasses?

You must not remember the many, many years of attacks against open source by Microsoft. I was a very early adopter of Linux back in the days when you had to first compile it and I remember well their "cancer" comments and war on everything open source, including their infamous "235 patents" lawsuit. Here's a (very, no microscopically small) sampling:

Why Microsoft is wary of open source - CNET News

"Microsoft Attacks Open Source" Want to know why? [Archive] - SpeedGuide.net Broadband Community

SCO v. IBM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Linux Foundation to Microsoft: stop secretly attacking Linux | Ars Technica

Dead and buried: Microsoft's holy war on open-source software - CNET

Today, Microsoft tries to pretend they like Open Source, but it's only a ploy. If you can't beat em, join em. All the while looking for for a soft spot to stab them in the back of course. Need proof?

Opinion: Antitrust complaint against Android is an attack on open source | Ars Technica

Linus Torvalds: I will not change Linux to “deep-throat Microsoft” | Ars Technica

Hidden Costs of Open Source

How Linus Torvalds Helped Bust a Microsoft Patent | Enterprise | WIRED

Now, let's consider Apple. They have actually been more supportive of OSS and generally more respected by a country mile by the OSS community than Microsoft has been. For a good reason. They've contributed far more and attacked far less. Of course, it has been somewhat self serving. Anything that damages Microsoft was good for Apple for a long time and OSS was considered a threat by MS so Apple fed their fear. Besides that, Apple doesn't make money selling software, so OSS was no real threat to them anyway. That's the case for Google, Amazon, Facebook, and others you mentioned - none of them make money off of software, so OSS is no threat. To Microsoft though, software was their bread and butter.

https://www.apple.com/opensource/

Symbiotic: What Apple Does for Open Source — RoughlyDrafted Magazine

Apple's Relationship to Open Source

As for Steve Jobs philanthropy or lack thereof, it appears the criticisms on that front were misplaced as well. Maybe he was following the advice of Matthew 6:2, or at least just disliked making a big show of helping other people out. It's hard to say what anyone's true motives are, so it's wisest not to try to judge that.

How Steve Jobs and his wife secretly gave away TEN OF MILLIONS of their own money to charity... even as critics accused him of not doing enough | Mail Online
    Last edited by seawolf; 4th July 2014 at 02:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    OK
    That's enough please - you are ALL descending into "he said" and "I said"
    Play nice and stick to the original question
    Last edited by witch; 4th July 2014 at 02:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    p.s. In answer to the OPs original question - yes there are screens available that are better than those found on Macs. But, they are not common, and not produced with the consistency of Macs (or iPads) by any manufacturer. At the moment.

12. Thanks to seawolf from:

witch (4th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Deleted.
    Last edited by seawolf; 4th July 2014 at 02:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    I do find it interesting that this is said only after I posted a pretty civil response with some evidence rebutting a stated opinion. Do whatever you feel is right though. This thread has run its course anyway.
    I was talking to all of you - not specifically you @seawolf
    Sorry if it came over as just aimed at you. Will edit

15. Thanks to witch from:

seawolf (4th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    . This thread has run its course anyway.
    I'm out too, you are right, asked and answered with reasonable civility.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 4th July 2014 at 02:37 PM.

17. Thanks to SYNACK from:

seawolf (4th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I was talking to all of you - not specifically you @seawolf
    Sorry if it came over as just aimed at you. Will edit
    Understood. Thanks for clarification.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12