+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, PXE Boot a Mac! in Technical; Hey Guys Is there a way I can deploy Windows 7 to our iMac's and MBP's using WDS , I ...

Thank Post

PXE Boot a Mac!

Hey Guys

Is there a way I can deploy Windows 7 to our iMac's and MBP's using WDS, I have the drivers extracted from the boot camp assistant and are uploaded to WDS! If this can't be done does anyone know how to do this in DeployStudio?

Thankyou

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No, you cannot PXE boot a Mac. However, you can NetBoot a Mac and use Winclone and DeployStudio to do what you want. All you need to know to do this is below. If you don't need to use OSX on them ever then just install a minimal OSX image with no apps to minimise disk space usage.

Winclone Using DeployStudio and Winclone Pro to Image a Lab of Dual-Boot Macs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    No, you cannot PXE boot a Mac. However, you can NetBoot a Mac and use Winclone and DeployStudio to do what you want. All you need to know to do this is below. If you don't need to use OSX on them ever then just install a minimal OSX image with no apps to minimise disk space usage.

Winclone Using DeployStudio and Winclone Pro to Image a Lab of Dual-Boot Macs
    Winclone seems to charge for their service is there any way of doing this without win clone do you know mate?

Thank Post
    We have been able to deploy Windows 7 via WDS to our iMac/MBP fleet. PM me your email address and I can send you our documentation for deploying and capturing images from macs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehollingsworth View Post
    We have been able to deploy Windows 7 via WDS to our iMac/MBP fleet. PM me your email address and I can send you our documentation for deploying and capturing images from macs.
    Thankyou mate I might use that as a last resort if I can't get deploy studio to work because preferably I'd rather it all just work through deploy studio so I'm hoping @seawolf may know a free solution.

Thankyou though appreciate the help!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Winclone seems to charge for their service is there any way of doing this without win clone do you know mate?
    Well, you can just capture a Windows image using DeployStudio (see below) and I have used this, but there are limitations to it and this is where WinClone shines.

http://deploystudio.wikispaces.com/C...n+Bootcamp+2.x

It is also possible to create a WinPE disk and use WDS as well apparently - Deploy Windows on Macs using MDT. by Guillaume Remy

However, I find my time to be valuable so paying a small amount of money for WinClone to save a lot of time seems like a pretty good bargain to me (labour vs capital).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Well, you can just capture a Windows image using DeployStudio (see below) and I have used this, but there are limitations to it and this is where WinClone shines.

http://deploystudio.wikispaces.com/C...n+Bootcamp+2.x

It is also possible to create a WinPE disk and use WDS as well apparently - Deploy Windows on Macs using MDT. by Guillaume Remy

However, I find my time to be valuable so paying a small amount of money for WinClone to save a lot of time seems like a pretty good bargain to me (labour vs capital).
    @seawolf you shine again thank you I think we will end up buying win clone but the Finanace Manager is off sick at the moment so I don't know when she'll be back to buy it! I would sys prep although I'm worried this will wipe all the drivers from the image is there anyway to do this without sysprep? Sorry about all the questions!
    Thankyou!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You need to sysprep with the persistpnpdrivers option set in an unattended xml. You need the dsim to make those xml files though which is a hassle but you only need to do it once.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread