+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, The Apple Check List in Technical; Hi there, So the inevitable will happen - we will soon have many iPad's. But we need to make sure ...

Thank Post

The Apple Check List

Hi there,

So the inevitable will happen - we will soon have many iPad's. But we need to make sure we have the knowledge and infrastructure to manage them.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of what needs to be in place?

We are a 1500 user school, 11-18 years. Wi-fi is not bad - we have a fairly good coverage in the main building, but will need to be installed school wide to accommodate for iPad usage, so that is on the top of the list.

Of course, other things to consider are -
    • App purchasing, deployment and management
    • Charging and physical security - some type of cabinet? I believe this can have some connection to updates etc as well?
    • Web browsing and content filtering - we use Smoothwall on our PC's currently.
    • Security - are virus' etc something to be concerned about?
    • Students work. If we are using these as class sets - we need some way for students to save their work to their work area really as there is no guarantee they will be allocated the same iPad in the next lesson (or that someone else didn't just delete their work in the meantime)

I am sure there are things I've missed, and these will soon become apparent.

But I really am not sure where to start with this. I've browsed the Apple website, but there doesn't seem to be much of use there, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. Are a lot of the things we require likely to be third party?
    Has anyone recently gone down this route?

Thanks!

2. Thanks to Novalee from:

aidenbran2000 (11th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Novalee View Post
    Hi there,

So the inevitable will happen - we will soon have many iPad's. But we need to make sure we have the knowledge and infrastructure to manage them.

We are a 1500 user school, 11-18 years. Wi-fi is not bad - we have a fairly good coverage in the main building, but will need to be installed school wide to accommodate for iPad usage, so that is on the top of the list.

• Charging and physical security - some type of cabinet? I believe this can have some connection to updates etc as well?
    • Students work. If we are using these as class sets - we need some way for students to save their work to their work area really as there is no guarantee they will be allocated the same iPad in the next lesson (or that someone else didn't just delete their work in the meantime)

But I really am not sure where to start with this. I've browsed the Apple website, but there doesn't seem to be much of use there, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. Are a lot of the things we require likely to be third party?

Thanks!
    We went with about 35 iPads but made similar lists to what you have come up with.

Breaking your points down these are your options.

If you are app purchasing you might want to look at VPP so you can retain ownership of apps but this will require a different apple ID on each iPad. You will need to have a mac with apple configurator installed on it to supervise the iPads. Then personal preference would be to use an MDM like Lightspeed, meraki mdm or use apples profile manager. All of them have pros and cons but are all limited by apple.

For charging and security you have a range of choices from fixed units to moveable trolleys. The one we had was pretty secure as it had a lock and key method and as long as you keep hold of the keys then you should be fine. It also had a charging unit where you could program it to charge at specific times and when to turn off.

We used to be with smoothwall but moved over to lightspeed when we got the iPads as there mobile filtering was a lot better and fitted our needs.

Viruses you should not be concerned about very rare never had one on my personal iPad and never had any on the schools either.

This is the hard bit. If you are happy to use solutions like dropbox and onedrive then these will work fine for the kids. The best solution i have come across so far is something called FOLDR Foldr - Free Your Files | Remote File Access From Any Device & Workflow Solution For iOS from Minnow IT. It uses active directory to store the pupils work back to there my documents so it works well. Another solution which worked well when we trialled it was something called air catch AirCatch. This uses email to redirect the kids work back to the my documents folder but takes some setting up.

Hope this helps, ask away if you want to know anything else.

4. 4 Thanks to Shadow_Walker:

aidenbran2000 (11th June 2014), Joanne (10th June 2014), jumpinjamez (8th July 2014), Novalee (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks @Shadow_Walker - that is very useful. We are now looking more into a 1:1 situation but will still need most of this as we will have to have spares etc.

Thank Post
    Thanks @Shadow_Walker - that is very useful. We are now looking more into a 1:1 situation but will still need most of this as we will have to have spares etc.
    If you are looking at 1 to 1 solution then i would speak with Glyn at KRCS https://www.krcs.co.uk/ed-contact as he was really helpful when we got our iPads as he goes through everything for you.

7. Thanks to Shadow_Walker from:

aidenbran2000 (11th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Hi there,

Thanks!
    We are going the same route as you by the sounds of it just a pain at the moment.

We have got all the infrastructure in e.g. wireless now but SLT want to buy them all at once and get them deployed over the summer which is going to be a task in itself. Can't see it happening though till Christmas now to be honest.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can use Profile Manager or go with a solution like Meraki, AirWatch, Tarmac, etc. for MDM. These solutions also provide ability to manage and deploy VPP apps. However, if you are only deploying iPAds to class sets/trolleys I would suggest starting with Configurator instead. You can use any Mac for this, used or new. You will want to put them in Supervised mode using Comfigurator.

Yes. The lock and charge trolleys are very good. These can sync and charge iPads including updates from Configurator.

Smooth wall isn't the greatest with iPads and you will need to test your configuration, and think about whether you use a capture page to require users to login on the iPads for Internet access.

No.

FOLDR, Acronis Access, or WebDAV. Choose based on budget. Acronis Access is the most full featured and capable and allows creation and editing of Office docs on the iPad as well as syncing folders to the iPad.

Probably, but it's hard to know without having knowledge of your setup and knowledge level. Based on your questions I would recommend hiring someone to assist with the planning and deployment. Perhaps get in touch with @Brimstone and he might be able to help you or refer someone in your area. Don't go it alone or you will likely end up frustrated. Like anything, zeal without knowledge is not good. Knowledge and preparation makes everything easier.

10. Thanks to seawolf from:

Brimstone (9th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Walker View Post
    If you are app purchasing you might want to look at VPP so you can retain ownership of apps but this will require a different apple ID on each iPad.
    This is not the case, if you sign up to the VPP program you have two accounts once setup as the Program Facilitator account to buy the apps the other is a separate account that you use on Apple configurator to redeem the apps codes you bought with the PF account, here's where it gets messy one main thing to do is to make sure when redeeming and app from iTunes to download you redeem using a code on the apps list and then go back to the VPP and re-download the spreadsheet of codes again this will give you another code making sure you haven't lost one and one of the codes will say redeemed, now import the app and codes into Apple Configurator and jobs a good-un.

------------------------------------

I would strongly urge you if you're located in the UK to check who supplies your internet connection, if it's provided by the LEA contact them and find out if all the schools in your area are under the same external IP address, if this is the case stay damn well clear, all you'll have are problems when deploying apps and it won't be as seamless as you'd like, it can also mess up your current codes if you ever want to re-import them and use them in Apple Configurator. Overall do your research before jumping the gun into an MDM solution.
    My recommendation is to use Apple Configurator, things do go wrong where the app decides to go a bit mental and a restart of your mac will sort it but overall it works well.

When buying an iPad trolley solution it's a must that you make sure they are Charge & Sync if not it will be a large dis-convinence down the road when managing them. Security wise just make sure the storage can be locked with preferably a padlock and you're pretty much good to go.

Smoothwall can work perfectly fine with iPads so if you don't want to change your current configuration you don't have to, here we have smooth wall setup on a transparent proxy with an SSL login page to keep monitoring the children's use on the internet even when using iPads. Otherwise I have seen other schools setup a transparent proxy with no authentication needed this allows the iPad to connect straight through and also bypasses the issue where some apps won't work with proxy setting enabled this method almost "tricks" the iPad if you like and makes it think there isn't a proxy and it just works.

When managing documents and work we use a solution called FileCloud this is an app that allows any other app save data to be uploaded to all school shares or even their own home drive if they login, works really well and automatically converts video when streaming content from FileCloud, it's all hosted on-site and works with any tablet format not just iPads, you can even set it up so people can connect to the service away from your internal network and treat it as a remote login access. I'd personally not use WebDav it's really a nasty piece of software other have their own opinion but it's just not great, mediocre at best but I don't want to bore you with the details. By the way FileCloud also syncs with Active Directory.

Solution look into LearnPads one of the best Tablets I have come across to date and require little to almost no management at all with education in mind!

Hope this helps mate!

Edit: Support, Support and more Support is key as you will struggle somewhere, I can get you in touch with a bloke called Alex (really knows his stuff about all things Apple) the company is AT Computers and I'm pretty sure they cover East Midlands
    Last edited by abillybob; 8th July 2014 at 01:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

Thanks!
    2 other important areas to think about before you deploy are;

Apple ID's (if using an MDM solution)
    Don't create Apple ID's using your institutions email or domain, there is really no reason at all not to let the students/teachers create them themselves, why?

It will mean YOU don't have to bother managing these as well as everything else, if you are using an MDM solution you should be using managed distribution, the MDM solution you use can't even see the Apple ID anyway,so you can assign apps and revoke them wirelessly. even from outside the school. This can cope easily as and when you start to scale iPads in your school.

As @abillybob has said check with your LEA to see if you can get a static public I.P. address, if you can then I'd recommend getting a copy of OS X Server (and a Mac) so you can use Caching server, this will massively save on bandwidth for app and iOS updates, and means again you are not tasked with managed these as well.

If you have an iOS device already you can check on all of Apple's ports and services from within your school network using the following tool. It's great for testing Apple's APNS and most of the major MDM providers to make sure you can reach them successfully.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/serv...663823983?mt=8

Thank Post
    Everyone basically covered what you need. One thing i noticed that wasn't mentioned by many was the NEED to sign up for Apple's DEP Program. It is a lengthy process to sign up, but worth it in the end. It will allow you to create non-removable profiles on the iPads to retain full control of your devices at all time. This will also allow you to create VPP Accounts, as well as creating student accounts for students under the age of 13 (Apple requires you to be 13). Other then that, a very strong IT Team, a Great MDM Solution (AirWatch / JAMF Casper Suite) [those were my top 2 choices] as well as caching servers and strong WiFi. Also something to think about is if your ISP Provides enough bandwidth, we had a problem once we deployed our 12,000 iPads with maxing out bandwidth. This would cause our PoE Phones to stop functioning creating a safety issue that needed to be delt with ASAP.

Also for 1:1 program, you would want to filter your students at home.. Our solution was to have the students forcefully proxy back to us so we can always restrict content as well as monitor and record sites.

As for saving data, 1:1 the student has the same iPad daily (for us) and can save everything locally. Our Students not in the 1:1 program but in the cart based 1:3 deployment (cart rotates to different class rooms), students could use Google Drive with our personalized Google domain to upload any files they would like to save and continue working on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coberlin View Post
    Everyone basically covered what you need. One thing i noticed that wasn't mentioned by many was the NEED to sign up for Apple's DEP Program. It is a lengthy process to sign up, but worth it in the end. It will allow you to create non-removable profiles on the iPads to retain full control of your devices at all time. This will also allow you to create VPP Accounts, as well as creating student accounts for students under the age of 13 (Apple requires you to be 13). Other then that, a very strong IT Team, a Great MDM Solution (AirWatch / JAMF Casper Suite) [those were my top 2 choices] as well as caching servers and strong WiFi. Also something to think about is if your ISP Provides enough bandwidth, we had a problem once we deployed our 12,000 iPads with maxing out bandwidth. This would cause our PoE Phones to stop functioning creating a safety issue that needed to be delt with ASAP.

Also for 1:1 program, you would want to filter your students at home.. Our solution was to have the students forcefully proxy back to us so we can always restrict content as well as monitor and record sites.

As for saving data, 1:1 the student has the same iPad daily (for us) and can save everything locally. Our Students not in the 1:1 program but in the cart based 1:3 deployment (cart rotates to different class rooms), students could use Google Drive with our personalized Google domain to upload any files they would like to save and continue working on.

DEP is not available outside the US.........

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    DEP is not available outside the US.........
    +1 on this just about to comment.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

Thanks!
    We work with a company in Leicester called Neustro, they help with our ICT needs such as bespoke support, infrastructure and devices including iPads. We are due to open a new sixth form which has been kitted out recently. All of our sixth formers will have an iPad (although they belong to the School) and we will be using an MDM solution – they even sorted out an MDM trial for us to test.

They also work with other Schools on managed 1:1 Schemes so they can discuss both options with you including the pro’s and con’s… The account managers and technicians are great and I’m sure they would be happy to nip in to look at the different options with you?
    Dan

Thank Post
    2 other important areas to think about before you deploy are;

Apple ID's (if using an MDM solution)
    Don't create Apple ID's using your institutions email or domain, there is really no reason at all not to let the students/teachers create them themselves, why?

It will mean YOU don't have to bother managing these as well as everything else, if you are using an MDM solution you should be using managed distribution, the MDM solution you use can't even see the Apple ID anyway,so you can assign apps and revoke them wirelessly. even from outside the school. This can cope easily as and when you start to scale iPads in your school.

As @abillybob has said check with your LEA to see if you can get a static public I.P. address, if you can then I'd recommend getting a copy of OS X Server (and a Mac) so you can use Caching server, this will massively save on bandwidth for app and iOS updates, and means again you are not tasked with managed these as well.

If you have an iOS device already you can check on all of Apple's ports and services from within your school network using the following tool. It's great for testing Apple's APNS and most of the major MDM providers to make sure you can reach them successfully.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/serv...663823983?mt=8
    What about the fact that if you let the students / teachers register the device on iCloud then they legally own it !
    Unless of course you go directly to apple to prove ownership.
    What happens when you get the ipad back to repurpose and it's locked to an Apple ID ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrnoisy View Post
    What about the fact that if you let the students / teachers register the device on iCloud then they legally own it !
    Unless of course you go directly to apple to prove ownership.
    What happens when you get the ipad back to repurpose and it's locked to an Apple ID ?
    Your talking rubbish....I've had 5 iPhones and 5 iPads, all been registered with iCloud do I own them, no

Supervise the iPad, disables activation lock
    If not supervised before iPad comes back to repurpose get student to turn it off, how do you think resellers replace stolen or broken iPads?
    Most large schemes give the iPad to the student at the end and once DEP arrives the MDM admin will be able to disable this themselves.

Thank Post
    Your talking rubbish....I've had 5 iPhones and 5 iPads, all been registered with iCloud do I own them, no

Supervise the iPad, disables activation lock
    If not supervised before iPad comes back to repurpose get student to turn it off, how do you think resellers replace stolen or broken iPads?
    Most large schemes give the iPad to the student at the end and once DEP arrives the MDM admin will be able to disable this themselves.
    No need to be rude, we have over 350 iPads supervision does not stop the devices from being dfu'd. Users can easily reset a device back to factory settings unless locked down with an iCloud ID.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast