+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" announced in Technical; Does everyone like the new iOS-inspired UI? OS Ten Ten dot Ten Yosemite will be released in the Autumn with ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,839 Times in 2,096 Posts

OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" announced

Does everyone like the new iOS-inspired UI?

OS Ten Ten dot Ten Yosemite will be released in the Autumn with a public beta in the Summer. As with Mavericks, the operating system will be downloadable for free from the Mac App Store.

Preview: www.apple.com/osx/preview/

Sources: Engadget, Ars Technica, The Verge

Apple's just unveiled the latest update to its desktop operating system for Macs and it's called Yosemite. While last year's Mavericks brought the inevitable reality of iOS/OS X integration even further with the introduction of familiar apps, like Maps and iBooks, this time around Apple's Tim Cook promises both systems are now "engineered to work seamlessly together."

Craig Federighi, SVP of Software Engineering at Apple, explained that Apple's focus for OS X Yosemite was on clarity, continuity and clear font type throughout the operating system. Finder window menus are now translucent, matching up with the image backgrounds on your desktop to dynamically shift for personality and color temperature. This effect has been translated to the refreshed dock which, itself, has also gotten a slight makeover with newer, flatter-looking icons and even a new trash can; something Federighi referred to as "fundamentally still Mac." There's even a new "dark mode," giving users the option to eschew translucency for dark grey toolbars.

Last edited by Arthur; 2nd June 2014 at 09:25 PM.

2. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (3rd June 2014)

Thank Post
    I like it - I heard the CEO of Box was in the front row, would liked to have seen his face when they released iCloud Drive.

Thank Post
    I wonder when Dropbox are going to reduce their prices? 200GB on Dropbox is $199 per year, whereas iCloud Drive is $47.88 per year!

I can't see many iOS and Mac users sticking with Dropbox.

Thank Post
    its a stupid name for an OS and its not touching my network.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    it's not touching my network.
    Does the translucency remind you too much of Windows Vista?

Once the OS comes pre-loaded on new Macs you probably won't be able to downgrade to Mavericks.

Thank Post
    Mother of god your right. I need to go buy some iMacs to last me a couple of years!

Thank Post
    Mother of god your right. I need to go buy some iMacs to last me a couple of years!
    Best to lease them and send them back when they produce more shinyness

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wish Mavericks hadn't touched our system - no advantages that I have found but a lot of PITA such as the flipping 'keychain' pester thingy.

It was trying to load itself onto our Mini Mac Server last month till I told it where to go!

Thank Post
    Looks like some good innovation, typically in a forum there are already people bashing it without evening trying it! Does beg to question why people struggle to embrace change.
    However I was expecting a XI rather than 10.10 from apple, but they obviously did not think that it was enough of a change to warrant it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the UI. To me it looks primary school like, if that makes sense?

Thank Post
    Here's the link to register for the public beta: https://appleseed.apple.com/betaprogram
    Last edited by Arthur; 3rd June 2014 at 09:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Was Helvetica a bad choice for a default system font? Several well known type designers seem to think so.

Why Apple's new font won't work on your desktop « Fast Co. Design

For the first time ever, Apple is ditching Lucida Grande as the OS X system font in favor of Helvetica Neue, which also happens to be the iOS system font. For an operating system that's used by 80 million people, that's no small thing. Will it make reading on desktop computers easier? Harder?

We asked Tobias Frere-Jones, the famed typeface designer who has worked with some of the world's best publications and design shops, to offer his insights on what this change means for consumers. In his view, Apple might have made a mistake.

Apple's desktop and mobile operating systems have been gradually converging for some time. So it was inevitable that one typographic palette would displace the other. With OS X 10.10, Mac desktops will sport Helvetica everywhere. But I had really hoped it would be the other way around, with the iPhone taking a lesson from the desktop, and adopt Lucida Grande. Check the lock screen on your iPhone. You’ll see Helvetica there, a half-inch tall or larger, and it looks good. Problem is, there aren't many other places where it looks as good.

Despite its grand reputation, Helvetica can’t do everything. It works well in big sizes, but it can be really weak in small sizes. Shapes like ‘C’ and ‘S’ curl back into themselves, leaving tight “apertures”--the channels of white between a letter’s interior and exterior. So each shape halts the eye again and again, rather than ushering it along the line. The lowercase ‘e,' the most common letter in English and many other languages, takes an especially unobliging form. These and other letters can be a pixel away from being some other letter, and we’re left to deal with flickers of doubt as we read.

Lucida Grande presents open apertures, inviting the eye to move along sideways through the text. It has worked really well--for years, and for good reason. For any text, but particularly in interfaces, our eyes need typefaces that cooperate rather than resist. A super-sharp Retina Display might help, but the real issue is the human eye, and I haven’t heard of any upgrades on the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Spiekermann
    It really wasn't designed for small sizes on screens. Words like milliliter can be very difficult to decipher. If you ever had to read or write a password with 1, i, l or I, you know the problem. (Source)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So...you base your decisions on whether an OS "touches" your network or not based on its name? Awesome.

15. Thanks to seawolf from:

FN-GM (4th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Does everyone like the new iOS-inspired UI?
    There are some good improvements (iCloud Drive, Spotlight, AirDrop compatibility with iOS, Mail drop) and the overall changes to the UI don't really trouble me either. However, there are a few "improvements" that I would prefer were dropped or had never even been considered:

• Helvetica - Why oh why? I hate Helvetica in iOS. It looks good in documents and printed type, but it is a sucky interface font.
    • Safari - I hate the look of the new Safari, and the apparent limitations of it. It might work for K-5 kids, possibly. For me though, now I'm going to be forced to choose between slowish Firefox or the resource hungry Chrome when this neutered version of Safari comes out.
    • Phone Calls - No, I don't want to receive phone calls on my Laptop...or my iPad. That's what my phone is for. I like these things being isolated from one another. I like to be able to put my phone on silent and concentrate one one single thing rather than 10,000 when I so decide. Or, not have a phone call pop up on my laptop when I'm trying to do a presentation in front of 100 people. Sure, I can turn it off - maybe, we'll see.
    • More crap to figure out how to disable - Now I will have to spend countless days trying to figure out ways to turn off most of these new social sharing features that are either utterly useless or just user nags in a managed environment. Of course some of them will likely turn out to be like Notifications, which cannot be reliably disabled for all users in a managed environment no matter how hard you try or however many plists you try to edit.
    Last edited by seawolf; 4th June 2014 at 07:05 AM.

Thank Post
    It's great that they named after this chap Yosemite-Sam-Quotes-300x281.png

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast