+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, OS Maverick - since updates slow and lumpy in Technical; Since our Macs have updated to OS Maverick they have been 'horrid' slow and grouchy. Opening Safari is ok but ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

OS Maverick - since updates slow and lumpy

Since our Macs have updated to OS Maverick they have been 'horrid' slow and grouchy. Opening Safari is ok but then clicking on any embedded URL's brings up that horris spinning thing and you have to go into Finder and kill it because it's unresponsive.

The keychain thing is just totally annoying and won't go away - what on earth is that all about? My Art teacher is beginning to prefer using Windows!!

Seriously, we run through a Mini Mac Server that's currently running the older OS - is there anything we can configure on the mini mac to try and sort these issues out?

Thank Post
    My experience with Mavericks is it works a lot better from a clean install rather than trying to install over an existing Mountain Lion installation. I'm led to believe the keychain thing is fixed in 10.9.3 which is out now so if you don't already have that you could try grabbing the combo update.

3. Thanks to LRSFC_DanJ from:

speckytecky (2nd June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,266 Posts
    I agree - in some instances restoring the OS from scratch is best. The good thing is Mavericks installs a tattoo, so it's easy to restore as new without the need for discs or a flash drive. Just hold the Option key at startup and select it from here.

5. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,914 Times in 2,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The good thing is Mavericks installs a tattoo
    That's a strange name to call the recovery partition. I've never heard anyone call it a tattoo before.

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

Zoom7000 (2nd June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    That's a strange name to call the recovery partition. I've never heard anyone call it a tattoo before.
    I've always known it as a tattoo, but also as a recovery partition you're right

Thank Post
    I always update our Mac Suite and Teachers Macs every time an update becomes available. We are currently running OSX 10.9.3 with all the latest updates for the apps. Every time I do so I create a fresh image on one iMac to how I want it to be and delete all the old workstations from Workgroup Manager on the server. I then use deploy studio to deploy the new packages, apps and OS.
    Keychains can be a nightmare but can easily be fixed by going to the library folder and deleting the Keychain folder, Mavericks will be forced to create a new one though we have never had an issue due to the fresh install of every OS!

I would consider doing it that way as our Macs work perfectly well here at super speeds Plus I've upgraded them all with an SSD and 8GB Ram!

10. Thanks to abillybob from:

Thank Post
    I've always installed every new iteration of OS X as a fresh install. Nice that it gets rid of any troublesome settings files and it's so much easier now especially seeing as you can download most of the needed apps from the AppStore. I just copy my personal docs on to a USB Flash Drive and reformat. And nowadays I hardly have to do that either seeing as I backup most things to Dropbox and Google Drive.

I know people have their fears about the cloud, but I'm a big advocate especially as it takes away the need for having loads of backups of the backups! The most personal document I have of myself on the cloud is my CV! And that's probably plastered all over most of the Internets job sites anyway!

12. Thanks to Zoom7000 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I would consider doing it that way as our Macs work perfectly well here at super speeds Plus I've upgraded them all with an SSD and 8GB Ram!
    Wasn't it a right nightmare opening up all those iMacs and replacing the RAM and HDD? Didn't you have to mess around with heat guns and suction cup openers?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    Wasn't it a right nightmare opening up all those iMacs and replacing the RAM and HDD? Didn't you have to mess around with heat guns and suction cup openers?
    I should have mentioned this was just for the MacBook Pro's not the iMacs sorry! I wouldn't open an iMac to fiddly!

Thank Post
    I should have mentioned this was just for the MacBook Pro's not the iMacs sorry! I wouldn't open an iMac to fiddly!
    I take it you haven't got the Retina Display MBPs, where you can't replace ANYTHING! (Well, technically, you can replace one or two bits and bobs on the 15" model, but with great difficulty! Nothing it seems on the 13" model!)
    Last edited by Zoom7000; 2nd June 2014 at 04:27 PM.

Thank Post
    I take it you haven't got the Retina Display MBPs, where you can't replace ANYTHING! (Well, technically, you can replace one or two bits and bobs, but with great difficulty!)
    Nope got the 2011 models here and two 2012 models neither have retina! Very easy to open few screws at the back and you're in. Is it really that difficult? I have replaced batteries inside iPhones and iPods before for family and they weren't to bad you just had to prise open the seal (this was easy enough with an old credit card)

Thank Post
    Nope got the 2011 models here and two 2012 models neither have retina! Very easy to open few screws at the back and you're in. Is it really that difficult? I have replaced batteries inside iPhones and iPods before for family and they weren't to bad you just had to prise open the seal (this was easy enough with an old credit card)
    Here is iFixit's Teardowns:

13 inch: MacBook Pro 13" Retina Display Late 2013 Teardown - iFixit
    15 inch: MacBook Pro 15" Retina Display Late 2013 Teardown - iFixit

Both received a repairability score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair).

18. Thanks to Zoom7000 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here is iFixit's Teardowns:

13 inch: MacBook Pro 13" Retina Display Late 2013 Teardown - iFixit
    15 inch: MacBook Pro 15" Retina Display Late 2013 Teardown - iFixit

Both received a repairability score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair).
    True, but a great many of the PC Ultrabooks are that way as well. The MS Surface 2 received a 1 out of 10 for repairability from iFixit, and the Lenovo X1 Carbon has the RAM soldered to the logic board and an SSD that is as difficult to replace as a MBPr.

It appears this is the trade off we are going to have for lightweight, thin, powerful laptops with great battery life. Fortunately, both that MBPr and most Ultrabooks come with SSDs and lots of RAM (8-16GB minimum).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Since our Macs have updated to OS Maverick they have been 'horrid' slow and grouchy. Opening Safari is ok but then clicking on any embedded URL's brings up that horris spinning thing and you have to go into Finder and kill it because it's unresponsive.

The keychain thing is just totally annoying and won't go away - what on earth is that all about? My Art teacher is beginning to prefer using Windows!!

Seriously, we run through a Mini Mac Server that's currently running the older OS - is there anything we can configure on the mini mac to try and sort these issues out?
    90% of the issues I've had with Mavericks were resolved with a clean install. The other 10% have slowly been improving with each patch release. I'd suggest a clean install and possibly deleting the keychain for users experiencing that problem.

21. Thanks to seawolf from:

speckytecky (5th July 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread