+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Hackintosh in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    I've successfully built one before now, for the wife to replace her aging G4 that I got for £80 in 2005 when she was made redundant and went freelance then spent £300 on a CPU upgrade for it and shoved a load of SDRAM in I had laying about and turned it into a bit of a beast.

The key is picking the right components (not so easy for laptops obviously). Usually Gigabyte motherboards are the best and then choose a supported GPU.

If you're doing it from scratch best bet is to look on the aforementioned sites and use bits that someone else has already done the hard work on. If you choose the right bits there's no reason why it wouldn't be 100% reliable

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    I've successfully built one before now, for the wife to replace her aging G4 that I got for £80 in 2005 when she was made redundant and went freelance then spent £300 on a CPU upgrade for it and shoved a load of SDRAM in I had laying about and turned it into a bit of a beast.

The key is picking the right components (not so easy for laptops obviously). Usually Gigabyte motherboards are the best and then choose a supported GPU.

If you're doing it from scratch best bet is to look on the aforementioned sites and use bits that someone else has already done the hard work on. If you choose the right bits there's no reason why it wouldn't be 100% reliable
    Yeah I know it's can be done on my model as YouTube videos and the like prove it but it does seem to be a lot of unnecessary work. All I wanted it for was to make use of the intel hd 4600 and be able to use applications that require OpenCL/QL Support as the current VMWare image I've been using won't work with iMovie and iPhoto as VMWare doesn't support OpenCL/QL support. I think I can live without it now and maybe look into it when I have some more free time.
    I get how to do it all it's just a lot of hours of config need to be put in and I really can't be bothered :/ I don't normally give up on things like this but meh...

Thank Post
    Yeah can be a bit of a labour of love. Luckily mine just involved booting up, install and install the sound drivers and that was it, it was up and running in under 90 minutes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    Yeah can be a bit of a labour of love. Luckily mine just involved booting up, install and install the sound drivers and that was it, it was up and running in under 90 minutes.
    Yeah I mean if I had the money and the care I'd of just invested in a tried and tested Hardware build and installed it on that so Mac OSX would work out of the box with next to no faffing. I'm not too worried anyway think I will stick with my VMWare setup

Thank Post
    it is im lucky mine worked out of the box....

@abillybob - did u tick the hardware / kexts on install.... customize bottom left ??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    it is im lucky mine worked out of the box....

@abillybob - did u tick the hardware / kexts on install.... customize bottom left ??
    I couldn't I had to un-tick everything like the boot loader and stuff because otherwise it wouldn't let me boot from my hard drive after installation and would have a kernel panic. I installed most of the stuff after using MultiBeast although certain drivers weren't on Multibeast such as my GPU and Wi-Fi card and to find and install all these kexts is a pain! :/ Given up now buddy going to stick with my VM!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,266 Times in 860 Posts
    VMWare is supposed to support OpenCL/CUDA via VT-x, which according to the Intel website your CPU supports; do you have the option to enable it in BIOS?

ARK | Intel® Core
    GPGPU Computing in a VM | VMware VROOM! Blog - VMware Blogs

EDIT: misread VMWare article, you need VT-d for GPGPU, not VT-x; your CPU doesn't support that.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 15th May 2014 at 04:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    VMWare is supposed to support OpenCL/CUDA via VT-x, which according to the Intel website your CPU supports; do you have the option to enable it in BIOS?

ARK | Intel® Core
    GPGPU Computing in a VM | VMware VROOM! Blog - VMware Blogs

EDIT: misread VMWare article, you need VT-d for GPGPU, not VT-x; your CPU doesn't support that.
    I don't know, bring my hopes up and drop them again

Thank Post
    Hackintoshes pretty much only lead to the path of pain. Even if it "worked out of the box" .. that only applies to _this time_ ... I just watched a buddy end up spending about a solid month and well over the price of a new Mac in order to build a Hackintosh. He ordered the mboard from a company that specializes in hackintosh stuff that was supposed to "just work". So two motherboards, two complete sets of ram and two different processors and he _almost_ has it running properly. And about a month of debugging and fighting and reading and waiting for customer support replies that never came.

If you want to run OSX ... but a Mac. If you just like to tinker because you can ... run Linux and knock yourself out. On the other hand if you like having a machine that may or may not end up running as expected, will be incredibly fragile, and will have you quaking in your boots every time you see the word update, then Hackintosh is the machine for you

Thank Post
    Pmsl I've built several of them and never had a problem, maybe he wasn't following the instructions properly

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,910 Times in 2,142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerk View Post
    He ordered the mboard from a company that specializes in hackintosh stuff that was supposed to "just work".
    It wasn't a Z77MX-QUO-AOS from QUO by any chance?

I would have chosen a Gigabyte motherboard myself since they are generally less hassle.

Thank Post
    Yep that sounds about right, I wasn't paying that close of attention to be honest ... but I think that may also be the second board he bought. He also still ended up having to swap out to a different CPU as well, but finally got a stable combination as far as I know. It all just reminds me of the old days doing linux when there was really limited hardware support, etc. I prefer using computers to building them these days

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information