+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Apple Configurator and "Over the Air" Supervision in Technical; Hello everyone I have had a google about but cant find any info on this. I was wondering if it ...
    Thank Post

Talking Apple Configurator and "Over the Air" Supervision

Hello everyone

I have had a google about but cant find any info on this. I was wondering if it is possible to Supervise iPads over the WiFi with Apple configurator (1.5). We currently have 3 trolleys full and they have to be connected via usb

Another question i have is, do any of you know if it is possible to put apps in folders via apple configurator. The only way i can see to do it is to backup an iPad and then push that backup out to the others.

Just one more quick thing, have any of you seen StormFront. Its quite expensive but sounds really good! If you haven't it is an app for the iPads and a program for the Mac server that connects to Active directory on a windows domain. It uses WEBDAV to connect to the users shares (Home, public. etc). I haven't seen it in action yet, but at the moment we are using File browser to connect to a single WEBDAV share in public. Just looking for a more user friendly way. Any input would be great.

Thanks for you time

Mat
    Last edited by Matyb2k; 13th May 2014 at 01:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Hello there,

We've got a similar setup at our school, and also use Apple Configurator to image the iPads. Their software doesn't support "over the air" imaging, and as such can only be used by directly connecting the iPads with cables.

To get the applications into folders you need to compose one iPad exactly how you want it, then back that device up and push it down to the other devices. Before pushing it down to all of them at once, perform a test run on one or two devices, to ensure all your settings have been pushed down as you wanted. Any new application installed on the devices will assign itself a place on an app page until you create a new updated backup with them in the desired locations. It's a bit of a pain, especially when the staff using the devices don't put them back after use, leaving you with the option of re-imaging some of them now or waiting till another time to hopefully catch the trolley when they've all been put back.

For the above reason we are also looking at an "over the air" solution for managing the iPads, however the solutions don't look cheap. We're looking into the Casper suite at the moment as it appears to offer some nice control features for teachers too.

Hope this helps,
    Tester.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread