+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, iPad MDM: Keep itunes logged in in Technical; I am testing Cisco Meraki MDM with several iPads currently. I completed the following general setup process: 1. Registered for ...

Thank Post

iPad MDM: Keep itunes logged in

I am testing Cisco Meraki MDM with several iPads currently. I completed the following general setup process:

1. Registered for VPP and linked our Apple VPP to Meraki account
    2. Created a Meraki device profile and downloaded to Mac Mini server running Mavericks Server with Apple Configurator
    3. Imported Meraki profile to Apple Configurator
    4. Used Apple Configurator to push wireless configuration and Meraki profiles to iPad and supervise device

At that point, Apple Configurator applies the wireless configuration but Meraki fails. (I think this is because the wireless is not connected quickly enough). I then repush the Meraki profile and hit install on the iPad prompt and Meraki installs properly.
    After Meraki installs, iTunes prompts for username/password on the iPad. I can enter the credentials, but it does not save the password - it prompts again after the iPad is restarted.

I'd really like to have the iPads never prompt for password so that apps can be pushed fully automatically. I thought supervising the devices would allow this to work as expected, but it does not seem to. Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanks to apple you need the end user to know the apple ID and enter it when ever apps are pushed out.

Thank Post
    ^^ This. @internetuser is right unfortunately. Enjoy your never ending battle with them

Thank Post
    This was all fixed in iOS 7 when Apple introduced silent app push for 3rd Party MDMs...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    This was all fixed in iOS 7 when Apple introduced silent app push for 3rd Party MDMs...
    But they didn't fix anything nothing has changed.... give it a go upgrade to iOS 7 and then try pushing an app out through Meraki!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post

More complete misinformation.......I despair

Thank Post
    I haven't seen it explicitly mentioned anywhere, but I'm pretty sure that silent app push only works using the newer Managed Distribution method of VPP, not the code claim method. It is definitely true that the device has to be supervised, but the OP seems to have that covered already.

Thank Post
    It appears that because I was trying to push the Meraki profile at the same time I was trying to supervise the iPads, supervision failed due to Meraki profile installation failing. My workaround (which seems to support silent app pushing now) was:
    1) Supervise the iPads with a basic non-Meraki profile that contains only the Wifi connection settings. This allows the iPad to be supervised successfully.
    2) On the iPads, go into settings and login as the App Store user, making sure to enable automatic installation of apps.
    3) Use Apple Configurator to push the Meraki profile to the iPad, and then press Install on the iPad when prompted
    4) Meraki apps have to be deployed through both VPP to the users and through the App section to the device to trigger fully silently.

I'm not really sure why the Meraki profile was failing to install during supervision but at least silent app deployment seems to work now.

9. Thanks to netadmin from:

JSchlackman (9th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by netadmin View Post
    It appears that because I was trying to push the Meraki profile at the same time I was trying to supervise the iPads, supervision failed due to Meraki profile installation failing. My workaround (which seems to support silent app pushing now) was:
    1) Supervise the iPads with a basic non-Meraki profile that contains only the Wifi connection settings. This allows the iPad to be supervised successfully.
    2) On the iPads, go into settings and login as the App Store user, making sure to enable automatic installation of apps.
    3) Use Apple Configurator to push the Meraki profile to the iPad, and then press Install on the iPad when prompted
    4) Meraki apps have to be deployed through both VPP to the users and through the App section to the device to trigger fully silently.

I'm not really sure why the Meraki profile was failing to install during supervision but at least silent app deployment seems to work now.
    The MDM Profile install will always fail (not just Meraki MDM) because the iPads needs to have trust certificate installed first from configurator to allow you to then manage this via your preferred MDM solution, this will change when DEP arrives in the rest of the world.

11. Thanks to Brimstone from:

netadmin (10th May 2014)

Thank Post
    As you've found out you need to run the devices through the prepare tab with just a wireless settings profile then switch over to the Supervised Tab and apply the MDM profile.

When the MDM profile doesn't apply it's 99.9% the fact that it doesn't have a network connection to the MDM server. About 2% of the time you might need to wake it up before the wireless connection grabs an IP from DHCP. Brimstone is also correct that if you're MDM solution doesn't have a commercial trusted cert assigned to it you also need to push out the Trust Profile at the same as the MDM Profile as it contains the self signed certificate for the server.

With DEP FYI students and or faculty will need to be privy of the schools wireless password(s). For most that shouldn't be an issue, but for groups that guard that password with there life that's another issue. For us at least that will probably just mean an open ssid during our "enrollment period" at the start of the school year. However if these are shared devices and you are not in a 1:1 then DEP isn't the workflow you should be utilizing, for that you need to stick with Configurator. Also keep in mind that once you're in DEP the devices cannot be managed or and or used at all with iTunes or Configurator due to the activation changes made to the device.
    Last edited by stevehp; 12th May 2014 at 01:57 AM.

13. Thanks to stevehp from:

netadmin (12th May 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread