Poll: Do you use Workgroup Manager (WGM) or Profile Manager (PM)

+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Do you use Workgroup Manager or Profile Manager? in Technical; I went to use PM last year but had issues so went back to Mountain Lion Server using WGM. I've ...
    Thank Post

Do you use Workgroup Manager or Profile Manager?

I went to use PM last year but had issues so went back to Mountain Lion Server using WGM. I've been testing out PM with Mavericks Server this past week and I'm leaning towards another year of WGM on Mavericks over PM. Web based seems like a good idea but the ease of WGM seems to always win. I find layout much easier and better control over PM when handling hundreds of Macs.

Both have their downsides and benefits but I've found that WGM handles everything better.

What do you use?
    Last edited by Carter; 29th April 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Thank Post
    I've found it more reliable to use then both side-by-side.

I use profile manager for managing the macs themselves I.e computer policies

And then I use WGM to manager users

Thank Post
    WGM for Macs and user policy links to AD, PM for iPads.

Thank Post
    Primarily I use WGM to push out:

Printer Mappings
    Energy Settings
    Update Server
    Finder Settings
    Security Settings
    Network Shares
    & a few other options hidden away under each of these areas

I had tried using PM and though it seems to work great at times I found it would hang for making that needed connection at times to push out changes. The web interface with PM is a nice idea but I want to be able to select multiple computers, groups etc or drag items like in WGM but you cannot with PM. One thing I do like with PM over WGM is the search option of Mac Address. If I take a computer out os service and forget to take it out of WGM it can be a pain in the butt to deal with. If I re-image and rename the computer it will continue to pull WGM info. I then need to then figure out what the old name was which I can then delete but if I pulled couple computers it can get messy. With PM I can search the Mac Address and delete it quickly.

When it comes down to it they both have benefits and downsides but I think WGM still handles everything and a more organized fashion over PM. WGM was pulled by Apple a few OS's ago then brought back out. Apple knows WGM is still widely used over PM so you'd think they'ed look to make PM closer to WGM but web based.

Apple please stop make items more consumerish like Server App, Final Cut X etc. Apple is pushing many people away with this idea. I know they are doing so with large companies like schools.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    I went to use PM last year but had issues so went back to Mountain Lion Server using WGM. I've been testing out PM with Mavericks Server this past week and I'm leaning towards another year of WGM on Mavericks over PM. Web based seems like a good idea but the ease of WGM seems to always win. I find layout much easier and better control over PM when handling hundreds of Macs.

Both have their downsides and benefits but I've found that WGM handles everything better.

What do you use?
    Ha ha great question!!!I use primarily PM for alot of tasks but still find myself falling back onto WGM when PM is being a pain and not following simple commands

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread