+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Windows 7 running quite slow on 2011 iMac in Technical; Hi there, I have been working on a 2011 iMac which has Windows 7 installed on it. The iMac is ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 running quite slow on 2011 iMac

Hi there,

I have been working on a 2011 iMac which has Windows 7 installed on it.
    The iMac is very high spec, but I am surprised by how sluggish Windows 7 seems to run on it.

I have ran a defrag, malware, spyware and av scan and nothing suspect. The Windows 7 OS is fully up to date with Windows Updates.

It is run via BootCamp. Would it be worth me running any OSX updates? Would this help the Windows 7 partition in anyway? I am assuming not, but can't understand why it is not running to its full potential.

Any ideas would be really appreciated!

Thank Post
    What HDD does the Mac have in it? We've got some that are high-spec but Apple put a 5400rpm hard drive in so boot times and general performance aren't great as a result.

Thank Post
    If you believe Paul Thurott apples drivers for windows are badly written which means poor performance. I'd go with a virtual machine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A good spec apple is generally a mediocre spec PC at best. I would agree that the drivers are probably not helping, just look at iTunes on a Windows box for how bad they can sabotage software. I'd also run any updates that may include firmware as that could also be partially to blame.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I find that hard to believe. The bulk of the hardware inside a Mac is perfectly standard, i.e. the chipset, CPU, GPU, network controllers etc. They'd use the same drivers as they would on a "standard" Windows box.

I'm inclined to agree with @gshaw, it's likely to be a 5400rpm HDD that's the problem. Assuming you have a 20" Mac anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone for your posts. It is a 27" iMac. Not sure on the specs, but I do have the serial no and have checked on one of the online spec websites, the following is shown:
    Thought the processor would be better, but hdd does not look all that bad.....
    iMac -Core i3- 3.2 27-Inch (Mid-2010) Specs (Mid-2010, MC510LL-A, iMac11,3, A1312, 2390) @ Every.png
    Introduction Date: July 27, 2010 Discontinued Date: May 3, 2011
    Processors: 1 (2 Cores) Architecture: 64-Bit
    Geekbench 2 (32): 5922 Geekbench 2 (64): 6599
    Geekbench 3 (32): 1983 Geekbench 3 (32): 4115
    Geekbench 3 (64): 2074 Geekbench 3 (64): 4389
    Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz Processor Type: Core i3 (I3-550)
    Details: This model is powered by a 32 nm, 64-bit Intel Core i3 "Clarkdale" processor with dual cores (two independent processor cores on a single silicon chip). Each core has two threads, for a total of four threads for the system, as well as a dedicated 256k level 2 cache. The processor cores share a 4 MB level 3 cache. It also supports Hyper Threading, but does not support "Turbo Boost" -- which "automatically boosts the processor speed based on workload" (so if an application is only using one of the two cores it will automatically increase the speed of the core in use and turn off the unused cores).

Also see: How much faster are the "Mid-2010" Aluminum iMac models than the "Late 2009" models?
    Turbo Boost: N/A Custom Speeds: 3.6 GHz (Core i5)
    Processor Upgrade: LGA 1156 (Socket H)* FPU: Integrated
    System Bus Speed: 2.5 GT/s* Cache Bus Speed: 3.2 GHz (Built-in)
    ROM/Firmware Type: EFI EFI Architecture: 64-Bit
    L1 Cache: 32k/32k L2/L3 Cache: 256k (x 2), 4 MB
    RAM Type: PC3-10600 DDR3 Min. RAM Speed: 1333 MHz
    Details: Supports 1333 MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 SO-DIMMs (204-pin).

Also see: How do you upgrade the RAM in this Aluminum iMac model? How much RAM does it actually support?
    Standard RAM: 4 GB Maximum RAM: 16 GB
    Details: By default, 4 GB of RAM is installed as two 2 GB SO-DIMM modules. Two slots free.

In the US (and many other countries), site sponsor Other World Computing sells memory -- as well as other upgrades -- for this iMac.

In Canada, site sponsor The Mac Market sells memory and other upgrades for this iMac.

In Australia, site sponsor RamCity sells memory and other upgrades for this iMac.

In Southeast Asia, site sponsor SimplyMac.sg sells memory and other upgrades for this iMac.

Also see: Actual Max RAM of All G3 & Later Macs.
    Motherboard RAM: None RAM Slots: 4
    Video Card: Radeon HD 5670 VRAM Type: GDDR3
    Details: By default, this model has an ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics processor with 512 MB of dedicated GDDR3 memory. However, by custom configuration it also could be equipped with an ATI Radeon HD 5750 with 1 GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory.

Also see: What type of video processor is provided by the Aluminum iMac systems? Is it upgradable?
    Standard VRAM: 512 MB Maximum VRAM: 512 MB
    Built-in Display: 27" 16:9 Widescreen Native Resolution: 2560x1440
    Details: This model has a 27" glossy LED-backlit 16:9 widescreen TFT active matrix display with "IPS technology" and a native resolution of 2560x1440. Apple also reports a "typical" brightness of 375 cd/m2, and viewing angle of 178 degrees horizontal and 178 degrees vertical. The contrast ratio is 1000:1 and the PPI is 109.

Site sponsor MicroReplay provides display replacement as well as advanced repair services like liquid spill recovery, logic board repair, accident and abuse repair, and more for this iMac.
    2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring 2nd Max. Resolution: 2560x1600
    Details: Apple reports that this model simultaneously supports the native resolution of the built-in display and up-to a 30-inch external display (2560x1600).
    Standard Hard Drive: 1 TB (7200 RPM) Int. HD Interface: Serial ATA (3 Gb/s)
    Details: Via custom configuration, this model could be equipped with a 2 TB hard drive for an additional US$150, a 256 GB SSD for an additional US$600, a 1 TB hard drive and a 256 GB SSD for an additional US$750 or a 2 TB hard drive and a 256 GB SSD for an additional US$900.

Also see: How do you upgrade the hard drive in the Aluminum iMac models? What type of hard drive do they support? Can you swap the hard drive for an SSD?

Site sponsor Other World Computing sells storage upgrades for this iMac.

Site sponsor Mission Repair offers professional storage installation and other services in 24 hours for this iMac.
    Standard Optical: 8X DL "SuperDrive" Standard Disk: None
    Standard Modem: None Standard Ethernet: 10/100/1000Base-T
    Details: N/A
    Standard AirPort: 802.11a/b/g/n Standard Bluetooth: 2.1+EDR
    USB Ports: 4 (2.0) Firewire Ports: 1 (800)
    Expansion Slots: SDXC SD Card Expansion Bays: None*
    Details: *As first documented by site sponsor OWC, this iMac has an extra 3 Gb/s Serial ATA connector and power for the optional SSD, but if one is not installed at the time the system is purchased the connector cables and mounting bracket are not present. Nevertheless, it is possible to install a 2.5" SSD in addition to the hard drive if an SSD is not installed initially it's just a bit of a "hack."
    Incl. Keyboard: Apple Wireless Keyboard Incl. Input: Magic Mouse
    Case Type: All-in-One Form Factor: iMac (Late 2009)
    Apple Order No: MC510LL/A Apple Subfamily: Mid-2010
    Apple Model No: A1312 (EMC 2390) Model ID: iMac11,3
    Details: Please note that these identifiers often refer to more than one model.

Also see: All Macs with the A1312 Model Number, the 2390 EMC Number, and the iMac11,3 Model Identifier.

For more about these identifiers and how to locate them on each Mac, please refer to EveryMac.com's Mac Identification section.
    Battery Type: N/A Battery Life: N/A
    Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.6.3 (10D2322a) Maximum MacOS: Current*
    Minimum Windows: 7 (32-Bit)* Maximum Windows: 8 (64-Bit)*
    MacOS 9 Support: None Windows Support: Boot/Virtualization
    Details: Also see: Are there any third-party programs to run Mac OS 9/Classic applications on Intel Macs?

Site sponsor OHS specializes in heavily upgraded Macs capable of running both Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 applications.

For more on running Windows on Intel Macs, please refer to the exhaustive Windows on Mac Q&A.
    Dimensions: 20.4 x 25.6 x 8.15 Avg. Weight: 30.5 lbs. (13.8 kg)
    Original Price (US): US$1699 Est. Current Retail: US$1300-US$1500
    Details: Please note that on average the estimated current retail pricing of used systems is updated twice a year (please refer to the date on the bottom of the page for the date last updated).
    Last edited by talksr; 24th April 2014 at 11:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's the same model that I run at home, albeit with the equivalent quad core i5 rather than the dual core i3. It runs bootcamped Windows quite happily with no performance issues that I can see.

It may be worth disabling some of the Apple background services and downloading the latest drivers for hardware from the hardware manufacturers? Mine has a Intel chipset, an Atheros wireless card, Broadcom NIC and an ATI graphics card.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Mavericks is a good upgrade (subject to application compatibility) and is well worth doing. Presumably when OSX runs, it runs fast?

Depending how old the Windows install is, you could also re-install Windows as new (if possible), or alternatively see if there's anything such as malware or anything else bringing it to a crawl.

Like a native PC, Windows 7 works fine on Bootcamped Macs with 2GB+ of memory for most general tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by talksr View Post
    Hi there,

I have been working on a 2011 iMac which has Windows 7 installed on it.
    The iMac is very high spec, but I am surprised by how sluggish Windows 7 seems to run on it.

I have ran a defrag, malware, spyware and av scan and nothing suspect. The Windows 7 OS is fully up to date with Windows Updates.

It is run via BootCamp. Would it be worth me running any OSX updates? Would this help the Windows 7 partition in anyway? I am assuming not, but can't understand why it is not running to its full potential.

Any ideas would be really appreciated!

Thank Post
    I'd check Device Manager and Google the HDD model number just to make sure it is what the spec says before you spend time diagnosing anything else...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apple are usually quite good when it comes to hard drives. My iMac has a Western Digital Black drive in there, pretty much the best that was available at the time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts
    I would re-install windows 7 with SP1 and ensure that the latest AHCI / chipset and other drivers are installed

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    Apple are usually quite good when it comes to hard drives. My iMac has a Western Digital Black drive in there, pretty much the best that was available at the time.
    Some Education spec Macs seem to be built down to a price by putting 5400rpm drives in, certainly some Mac Minis we have are afflicted with that despite having fast i5 CPUs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread