+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Mac Thread, Anyone buy Apple machines just for the build quality? in Technical; I am no fanboy of Apple, and I don't like most people who just buy Apple stuff because its Apple, ...

Thank Post

Anyone buy Apple machines just for the build quality?

I am no fanboy of Apple, and I don't like most people who just buy Apple stuff because its Apple, however I have bought an Apple PC because I like the build quality of Apple, For no other reason. I had to sell it to get a bit of cash back but I am thinking of buying a new one in June when they release the new models.

I know you are paying about 35% more just for Apple, but I could not find another PC maker that matches the build quality of Apple. Although why they use standard HDD's in their iMacs I find weird.

Is there anyone else of here who agrees?

Just to be clear I really tend to dislike fanboys of Apple and don't like going into their shop either because it is full of fanboys.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,697 Posts
    I buy kit because it does what I need it to do ... and choose the best I can afford. The result may or may not be Apple. Frquently it isn't because it's not what I need.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They're solid machines, that's certain. Doesn't mean much for what's in it though as many are not designed with longevity of the product in mind.

For Desktop machines, I'm not sure why it's of that much importance. For laptops it certainly is more important, but these days everything's fairly similar above the £600 mark. Quite a few of the older Lenovo/IBM machines, both desktop and laptop were as rigid, and on desktops, Gateway PC's were both behemoths and near indestructable, awesome build quality. That's going back a good few years though, late P2 era!

Thank Post
    No, and with a larger sample size, I found them no more reliable than PCs (sometimes worse) and unless you get AIO computers, with a PC you can just change the part that is faulty.

Do you want OS X? I don't get people who buy a mac to run windows on it...

Thank Post
    I got a mac mini because its small and quiet and doesn't take much faffing around. I couldn't see a pc equivalent in that respect.

Most of the rest of the apple range seems overpriced to me. The older mac pros were decent, but I would only pay about half the price they were asking for. I don't like the all-in-one concept - screens should outlast computers by quite a few years. And a laptop without a replaceable battery is just stupid.

I don't think a lot of the build quality. Yes they might be solid, but they are mostly un-serviceable. The cost of getting parts replaced on a mac is ridiculous compared to most PCs.

If the stuff was actually good, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Thank Post
    If I wanted a new personal laptop I'd probably consider a MacBook Air/Pro but I think it's the kind of thing you'd need to buy with your heart rather than your head as despite the improved build quality/finish compared to most other brands they don't really justify the extra expense IMO.

I think it would be very difficult to make a rational business case for buying them for a school/business unless you needed to run OSX.

Thank Post
    Would I buy;

Macbook x - Yes, build quality is by far the best.
    iMac - No, build quality is terrible IME. Around 25% failure rate compared to 1-2% on Dell.
    Mac mini - Yes, there's very little out there that compares in the same form factor.
    Mac Pro - No, what's the point unless you are running creativity apps on it? £2500+ is a lot of money to buy build quality.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Mac mini - Yes, there's very little out there that compares in the same form factor.
    Have you had a look at the new Intel NUC? My mates just bought one for home and it's very nice. Only half the price of a mac mini.

Mini PC - Intel® NUC

That said, I have a mac mini running my media centre and I am pretty happy with it. Mine is a 2011 model.

When I eventually replace it I'll be getting an NUC.
    Last edited by Gardinho; 8th April 2014 at 07:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    In terms of build quality the Lenovo X1 carbon is up there with the Macs - although very sturdy not as strong as the metallic Macbook

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    In terms of build quality the Lenovo X1 carbon is up there with the Macs - although very sturdy not as strong as the metallic Macbook
    Why they decided to remove the caps lock button in place of home and end keys then delegate this to a function combination is extremely odd. The Asus Zenbooks are a good alternative for nice build quality IMO having used one for a short while, the only downside is your limited to 13" but at a lovely 2560 x 1440 resolution
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 9th April 2014 at 10:52 AM.

Thank Post
    It depends what you are specifically talking about with regards to build quality. If you're talking about the components don't be fooled the components inside a Mac are the same in any PC's for example an Intel Processor in a Mac isn't made any differently than a PC it's still an Intel Processor made by the same company and the two items are identical. If you're talking about the chassis (the aluminium surround) you maybe surprised the macs here are only 1 year old and the metal gets scratched and chipped very easily, the keyboard is the second nicest keyboard I have used but the keys still feel slightly tacky and I don't like how easy it is to accidently pull of a key as the clips are small and break easily. The screen, now retina doesn't mean anything it's a marketing technique so don't let that sway you though I do have to say my friends MacBook Pro's screen is the best I have ever seen and it will display 4k video although the pixels are so small it makes working at that resolution almost impossible so defeats the object in my mind also the glare you get off the glass panel is very annoying especially in daylight.

I do like however the look of the unit but even to feel the metal it feels a bit like plastic to me and the fact when it's doing hard tasks the Mac isn't capable of dispersing the heat away from the track pad or where your hands sit on the corners while typing they can get hot! They look pretty but really not worth the money in my opinion and due to the lack of upgradability I don't think they are as robust and reliable as people think, if a GPU goes in a Dell it can be replaced with any other PCI-E 16x card with a Mac it has to be OEM which cost a lot more money and have high sale value and it has to be a GPU that the Mac OS will be able to use and the best GPU the Mac OS it compatible with (laptop wise) is a 750m GT which is really unsuperior now the 880m has been released.

Just to put it in perspective my Alienware cost £1499 this included and SSD, 1080p none glare screen, i7 Processor, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia 780m GPU, Intel 4600 HD GPU, Blu-Ray Re-Writer. It has some cool features too like you can use the laptop screen as an input device and connect a phone up to the screen or use it as an extra monitor there are more but can't be bothered to list them. To come anywhere near the spec of my unit it would cost you nearly £2600 for a MacPro that's double the cost for a device that isn't half as capable hardware wise although they do this as they want to make their devices look small and thin where as Alienware don't care about that.

Really do your research when looking into things and don't just go by what everyone else thinks your opinion could completely differ to mine, I realise this is about Macs but I would say the same for a LOT of windows laptops out there. If you have the kind of money to buy a MacPro consider the Alienware machines this is the nicest device for build quality I have ever owned and will at least last me around 5 years, every key on the keyboard is wrapped in a rubbery effect to stop your fingers slipping when using the keys they have even gone as far to put a steel plate underneath the keyboard so no matter how hard you push on it, it won't ever bend try this with a Mac keyboard and you'll see it bend! I CBA to list them all but do look at the Alienware 14 or 17 if you're in that kind of money you won't ever think you have made a bad purchase when it arrives through the door 100% best device I've ever owned and yes I have owned a Mac Pro!
    Last edited by abillybob; 9th April 2014 at 11:15 AM.

12. Thanks to abillybob from:

Chuckster (9th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Cook View Post
    I got a mac mini because its small and quiet and doesn't take much faffing around. I couldn't see a pc equivalent in that respect.
    That's the reason i got a Mac mini. Have since put a SSD in it tho

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Loads of very valid points here, but I have to say, my 2009 17" macbook pro is the nicest laptop I have ever owned.

It still runs like a dream, coping fine with Mavericks even though it's running a Core 2 Duo CPU.

The glossy screen has never bothered me, its much much more vivid than a matte one and at 1920 x 1200 the resolution is great!
    I'm still getting 3-4 hours battery life even five years down the line and the combination 9400mGT and 9600mGT nVidia graphics have been great.
    Oh and the trackpad is a magical thing of wonder and beauty, other multi-touch trackpads haven't come close.

It was a sizable investment back then but all things considered I'd say totally worth it!

Oh and it's pretty easy to get into and tweak too. Taking the back off to get access to the ram, hdd, and battery is no problem. I've popped 8GB RAM in since I bought it and opened the case to blow out the dust a couple of times, but that's all the attention it's needed.

Thank Post
    My Alienware M14xR2 is also of fantastic build quality, and costs LESS than a decent Mac Book Pro - it doesn't mean I'm replacing all the staff laptops with them!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    My Alienware M14xR2 is also of fantastic build quality, and costs LESS than a decent Mac Book Pro - it doesn't mean I'm replacing all the staff laptops with them!
    Too right, give staff robust Thinkpads that don't cost an arm and a leg when they finally do break

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast