+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Mac Thread, Anyone buy Apple machines just for the build quality? in Technical; On the older note, I've got a pallet full of G5 towers if anyone wants a cheap mac?...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On the older note, I've got a pallet full of G5 towers if anyone wants a cheap mac?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What price you wanting, and what spec would one be? I'm a sucker for old stuff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I hate to be the stick in the mud here but I should point out yet again that a Mac *IS* a PC. In fact by very definition, they are more of a PC than a "PC" is.

** Actually, thinking about it I'll take that last bit back. I'm thinking more home computer than personal computer, a personal computer is still a singular machine used by a person regardless of where it is.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 11th April 2014 at 05:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    probably sixty quid or so for one of the better specced ones

I'll have to find a 10.5 DVD tho.

5. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

mac_shinobi (11th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts

Anyone buy Apple machines just for the build quality?

Cool :-)
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 11th April 2014 at 05:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Just to let you know if you actually read the posts you will have seen I owned a Mac and my school have 100 of the things! Have you ever owned an Alienware laptop? Unlikely, these things are the same price as a Mac with around 10x the spec and I have my Alienware and a MacBook here and there's no denying it my Alienware is better designed, has nicer use of materials and is more rugged with additional add ons like an MSATA SSD and a 2.5" SSD, it would already beat the Macs 2.5" HDD in reliability because SSD's are more rugged than mechanical HDD, there is something in my computer called a freefall sensor so the computer known when it's been dropped and powers itself down before it hits the ground thus saving all my work and not corrupting the hard drive like the Mac most likely would.
    Please tell me how a piece of hardware in a Mac differs to the same hardware in a PC? How an intel processor such as the i5 is somehow better in a Mac then a PC? It's not same hardware same reliability.

As said before because you obviously didn't bother reading the post the only + I can see is the screen which could do 4k, but put 4k resolution on a 15" screen and it defeats the object the pixels are too small and therefore the screen is far to small to work on. Though you are obviously just stating things for the hell of it you haven't backed up your argument on why you think Apple products are more reliable, if the hardware is no different and the only difference about it is that it has some metal around the outside for a case then I'm sorry you have been tricked into something Apple do very well at..... Marketing.

The only thing that is of better build quality is Mac OSX and that is because it's a *nix based OS and is less likely to have problems or crash. Though if you know how to maintain it properly neither will Windows.
    Clearly you do not read posts either as I stated iMacs have gone down hill in recent years with build quality.

If you take apart an Apple and compare the boards to a standard laptop you can spot small differences, I could not tell you if this results in any long-term performance or longevity. From my experience, We have over 300 macs in use here and its only recent models that have a higher failure rate. We have iMacs still in use from 2007, any PC's from that year have ether died or on their last legs, the Apple runs the same way as the day it was brought.

Alienware laptops are big, chunky and ugly in my opinion, Like a MacBook pro chunky. About the retina "4k" resolution, mac os is designed for the high resolution and sizes the gui so that it appears "normal", and I can tell you the image quality is extremely good on the MBP retina.

I have not been tricked into anything as I do not own any Apple products at this time.

For a moment there I sound like an Apple fanboy and I can ensure you I am not, but the feel of Apple products is of quality, Dell is close but not close enough, and Apple has built its reputation around this, now since jobs died its started to drift, but its products are still superior in terms of feel at least.

When you look at something you just know if care has gone into it or not. I can't explain it.
    Last edited by spacebar; 11th April 2014 at 05:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spacebar View Post
    Clearly you do not read posts either as I stated iMacs have gone down hill in recent years with build quality.

If you take apart an Apple and compare the boards to a standard laptop you can spot small differences, I could not tell you if this results in any long-term performance or longevity. From my experience, We have over 300 macs in use here and its only recent models that have a higher failure rate. We have iMacs still in use from 2007, any PC's from that year have ether died or on their last legs, the Apple runs the same way as the day it was brought.

Alienware laptops are big, chunky and ugly in my opinion, Like a MacBook pro chunky. About the retina "4k" resolution, mac os is designed for the high resolution and sizes the gui so that it appears "normal", and I can tell you the image quality is extremely good on the MBP retina.

I have not been tricked into anything as I do not own any Apple products at this time.

For a moment there I sound like an Apple fanboy and I can ensure you I am not, but the feel of Apple products is of quality, Dell is close but not close enough, and Apple has built its reputation around this, now since jobs died its started to drift, but its products are still superior in terms of feel at least.

When you look at something you just know if care has gone into it or not. I can't explain it.
    We don't need to worry any more. He already said I won on the look of out of the window thread

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    probably sixty quid or so for one of the better specced ones

I'll have to find a 10.5 DVD tho.
    Is that including delivery ??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Might be. I'll have to see what I can put in them. Drop me a pm on Monday and ill get a couple out and see

Thank Post
    Picked up a dual 2.0ghz G5 tower the other day locally for 60 320gb hard drive & 120gb ssd, 4gb ram plus 10.5.8 installed and Adobe suite and it really flies along the wife (graphic designer) is over joyed so much so as she picked up a website job for 500,sweet

Tbh those g5s are easy worth 60.

What spec are they?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    Picked up a dual 2.0ghz G5 tower the other day locally for 60 320gb hard drive & 120gb ssd, 4gb ram plus 10.5.8 installed and Adobe suite and it really flies along the wife (graphic designer) is over joyed so much so as she picked up a website job for 500,sweet

Tbh those g5s are easy worth 60.

What spec are they?
    I'm sorry but you can't credit the purchase of the Mac with your wife getting a job, your wife would be equally well equipped to make a website with Adobe suite in Windows; they're identical!

EDIT: I will say 60 is a good deal for Adobe (dependant on version) but I stand by what I said, Adobe is Adobe, Mac or Windows is irrelevant
    Last edited by LosOjos; 11th April 2014 at 08:46 PM.

Thank Post
    The laptops definitely desktops not for me. Got a macbook air and I'd buy it even if I was just running windows on it

Thank Post
    I hope that was a joke? There wasn't a smiley in there so....

I wasn't saying that the mac got her the work I said she was so overjoyed she got the work ie she was enthusiastic to tender for it.

As for Windows no she's been a designer since back in the day and a proper Mac fan ie she's been a mac user since before they became cool and idiots started ranting about them.

She wouldn't use Windows on her computer simple as that.

Oh and I think you'll find the keyboard shortcuts are different :-P

I can't remember off the top of my head which cs it is either 3/4 can't remember which was the last powerpc version but whatever it is its that one. Adobe didn't come with it we already own it
    Last edited by witch; 12th April 2014 at 07:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Please tell me how a piece of hardware in a Mac differs to the same hardware in a PC? How an intel processor such as the i5 is somehow better in a Mac then a PC? It's not same hardware same reliability.
    In the case of things like the CPU or RAM, they don't. But, many if the components in an Apple computer are tailor made for the product. Pull apart a Mac Pro or MBPr and you will see the parts have been specifically engineered and are not simply off the shelf components. The dual FirePro GPUs in the new Mac Pro are offered as an upgrade for less than half the equivalent GPUs at retail. And take a look at the specs of the SSDs including the read/write speeds - they aren't standard. Not many workstations offer ECC RAM either. So, there are some observable differences. I challenge you to actually physically touch, use, take apart one of the new Mac Pros and tell me there is no difference in build quality and design. Pictures do not do it justice.

The Brilliant Insanity Behind The New Mac Pro's Design | Gizmodo Australia

As said before because you obviously didn't bother reading the post the only + I can see is the screen which could do 4k, but put 4k resolution on a 15" screen and it defeats the object the pixels are too small and therefore the screen is far to small to work on. Though you are obviously just stating things for the hell of it you haven't backed up your argument on why you think Apple products are more reliable, if the hardware is no different and the only difference about it is that it has some metal around the outside for a case then I'm sorry you have been tricked into something Apple do very well at..... Marketing.
    I think you've overlooked the reality of the Retina display. When it came out, nothing was close to the resolution and quality (i.e. - it was innovative when it was introduced). It was declared an "engineering marvel" on Gizmodo and it really was. Yes, Apple is very good at marketing and vastly overplayed the "Retina" marketing imagery. That didn't diminish the actual fact that the Retina display was very good and still is. It has now been equalled and beaten for pure resolution, but find the Retina display to be more colour accurate than many of the competitive displays.[/QUOTE]

The only thing that is of better build quality is Mac OSX and that is because it's a *nix based OS and is less likely to have problems or crash. Though if you know how to maintain it properly neither will Windows.
    There are some very widely used software products that are only available on the Mac (Final Cut Pro, Motion, Logic Pro), so if you're using those Windows isn't going to cut it. Many others just prefer OSX because it is easier to maintain for reasons we've gone over previously. For people who have not used a computer before, OSX also tends to be more intuitive to pick up (not talking switchers with previous Windows experience).

Finally, I think the reason why Macs are being recommended to people more often these days is the simple fact that Apple has made it simple and easy to buy a computer. People become easily confused at the vast array of difficult to understand (for the avg person) options and plethora of models of PCs on the market from other manufacturers. It's a bad idea to give most people more than three choices or they have analysis paralysis. Apple gets that. Many other manufacturers haven't yet and continue to confuse their main customer base (and, that's not you and me) by offering 20 models x 100 configurations in a shotgun approach.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Makes me laugh how Apple for the last year or so have been DESPERATE to wipe off all knowledge of the iPad 3 having a Retina display. It's not mentioned in any marketing and hasn't been since launch (I can't remember if "Retina" was a thing at the time of launch, memory is fuzzy) and so many people swear blind it's not a retina screen that it's hilarious. That includes the stores and "genius" bars (how they have a right to call them that I have no idea. I've only ever been in an apple store once, and after spending a minute listening to one of these "geniuses" I was >< close to coming home to get my certification and right to that title, going back and demanding to see theirs.)

Regardless, it's clear to see there's a world of difference in the way Apple machines are built, the whole unified design approach ensures there's going to be far less issues with reliability as a a result of software and compatibility. They're not perfect by any means. Those G5's for instance are great machines and I'm tempted to buy one from ICT Direct purely for the chassis, but they don't age too well; about now be prepared to bake/reflow the mainboard for dry joints if they've been well used. They have had their fair share of "buy cheap, buy twice" issues in the past (capacitor plague), and I won't go into form over function reducing lifespan for some of the products. I've said before, it shouldn't be too long before the PC market (that's Personal Computer which includes anything with an Apple badge on) moves towards the unified approach but I've been saying that for years and sadly it appears that OEM's won't let it happen.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 12th April 2014 at 08:59 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast