+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Mac Thread, Anyone buy Apple machines just for the build quality? in Technical; Originally Posted by synaesthesia Horrible argument that's been done to death. If you need max osx, buy a mac If ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Horrible argument that's been done to death.

If you need max osx, buy a mac
    If you need windows, buy a pc
    If you buy a mac SOLELY to use windows, you're a moron.
    But how else will I show my hipster friends that I am so hipster that I use Windows on a Mac which runs a VM of a linux OS?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was gonna say I thought that was too cheap, to get similar spec new you're looking at £2,000 plus. And you could get a pair of macbook pros or a mac pro for similar prices!

What's the battery life like btw? Everyone in the office here reckons about ten minutes
    Last edited by ICTDirect_Dave; 11th April 2014 at 11:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    I was gonna say I thought that was too cheap, to get similar spec new you're looking at £2,000 plus. And you could get a pair of macbook pros or a mac pro for similar prices!

What's the battery life like btw? Everyone in the office here reckons about ten minutes
    Depends when the dedicated graphics is running it will last 1-2 hours when it's using only the intergrated GPU it'll do 6-8. I don't ever game unless it's plugged in anyway You can pick up an Alienware 14 though for under £1000 so cheaper than a MBP and a lot more to show for it!

The only thing that has annoyed me is the support, it was awful from Dell, granted they tried to get it sorted for me (it was BSOD'ing, but after my own messing found out it was a Dell Driver issue) I just couldn't understand them, would be put on hold it was fairly annoying trying to speak with Dell support about it!

Oh and just to add never look at Alienware direct costs as they are so much more expensive buy them from a reseller you can save 100's!
    Last edited by abillybob; 11th April 2014 at 11:54 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Depends when the dedicated graphics is running it will last 1-2 hours when it's using only the intergrated GPU it'll do 6-8. I don't ever game unless it's plugged in anyway You can pick up an Alienware 14 though for under £1000 so cheaper than a MBP and a lot more to show for it!

The only thing that has annoyed me is the support, it was awful from Dell, granted they tried to get it sorted for me (it was BSOD'ing, but after my own messing found out it was a Dell Driver issue) I just couldn't understand them, would be put on hold it was fairly annoying trying to speak with Dell support about it!

Oh and just to add never look at Alienware direct costs as they are so much more expensive buy them from a reseller you can save 100's!
    I wouldn't say a lot more. That entry level AW14 has a better gfx card, far worse screen and less ram than the entry level retina mbA - admittedly it's £200 cheaper, but i'd say that the lightning quick PCIe flash storage is well worth the difference

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post

You may want to look at your budget closer, as you complain A LOT on facebook about being financially stuck, or not great in terms of income/outgoings etc, when many people (myself included) have given you advice you plainly want to ignore. Many of the problems I have found with a lot of mac users, who claim to constantly be poor, is because they shell out £1K+ for hardware, slap it on a credit card or take a loan, and then make the absolute minimum payments, then the next year (or when the loan/cc is paid off) do it again. Its a horrible cycle and seems one that many (not saying all) Apple fans fall into.
    Nope I dis-agree

1) I Sold the 2008 Mac Pro and other items I had for £1,600 on ebay as

A) I needed a new car to get to work and back
    B) I used some of the money that was left over from selling the items to get a 2011 mac mini and an airport extreme 5th gen for about £600

I have paid my bank loan off so financially am better off, yes I still have a few debts to pay off but nothing major , so just an overdraft , one store card and one credit card ( none of which amount to a lot like you are insinuating !! )

I don't even post statuses on face book complaining , not that I remember. Only complaints I recall were that in order to learn more about virtualisation / exchange etc that I would need to upgrade the mac mini with an SSD and more RAM as currently it only has a slow 5,400 rpm hard drive and 4gb of cheap ram which came with it, looking in the system profiler it shows that it supports SATA 3 hard drives and if I re-call correctly I can get a 16gb RAM kit ( 2 * 8gb modules ) -->

16GB kit (8GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 upgrades for Apple Mac mini (Intel Core i5 2.5Ghz) DDR3 - Mid 2011 Desktop/PC, CT3327436 from Crucial.com

Also in my original posts which you seemed to have deleted off the important parts regards to saying you need to get apple care, well in my original post I did state that I had apple care and no I did not get that straight away ( as long as you get it within the first year from the date of purchase you can still get apple care for whatever apple device ). Cost me £140 for apple care which runs out I believe August this year and so far I have not had to use it what so ever.

DNS is not anything to do with me and is work related - so was just having a bit of a moan about that.

I stated in one of my posts about none of the computers being immune to hardware faults regardless of Apple / Dell / HP / Lenovo / AlienWare etc etc, motherboards / RAM , Power Supplies etc after a number of years and heavy use even if looked after pack up or get issues, capacitors on the motherboard going / bulging ( am sure you know all the common faults that occur with computer equipment over time )

I know about the aluminum case not being a solid lump of metal - otherwise where would the computer components go if it was ?? Kind of a given obvious really !!

Laptop GPU's vs Desktop GPU's is a no brainer - Desktop GPU's always perform a lot better and always have done in comparison to laptop GPU's whether onboard Intel HD4400 or whatever model or even comparing the mobile versions to the desktop versions such as the GTX 650 or whatever model on a laptop versus the desktop versions. The desktops have a much newer / updated range of cards available that are a lot better than the best laptop GPU's about

Desktop would / could be either AMD 295x2 or Nvidia Titan Black edition just as a couple of examples, might even be the GTX 780 Ti

Not sure where that thread is for the dual GPU link that was posted - if I find it I will post it but am sure Arthur or someone else will no doubt find it faster than I can

We all know how 98% of EG Folk are anti apple so like I said before Personal preference / budget etc

Thank Post
    I have a MAC, but it's a PC with OSX installed onto it.. It's solid... it has an i5 CPU and oober amounts of RAM. OSX Works flawlessly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    'Build quality' or 'teh pretteh shineh'?

IME Apple components are not top notch and are overpriced for what you're getting. Graphics cards are a perfect case in point and are the easiest to compare. If you build a basket of components on somewhere like Scan or Overclockers or even Ebuyer that matches the overpriced 'upgrade' options on an Apple machine you'll find that price wise you're not getting good value for money.

But they LOOK nice. That's the important thing right?
    Apple’s new ‘overpriced’ $10,000 Mac Pro is $2,000 cheaper than the equivalent Windows PC | ExtremeTech

8. 2 Thanks to seawolf:

Brimstone (11th April 2014), mac_shinobi (11th April 2014)

Thank Post
    I suppose my MAC doesn't count for looks as it's a PC

It's a boggo HP Pro 3300

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Well fair play to them for that, it's unlike Apple to be cheaper but credit where it's due! The original article that link is based on is interesting: http://www.futurelooks.com/new-apple...c-diy-style/3/

However, I wonder how it would stack up on UK prices? Historically, we've been ripped off over here paying the same in GBP as Americans pay in USD. If that remains the case, I suspect you could still build an equal to the Mac for less in this country at least.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Well fair play to them for that, it's unlike Apple to be cheaper but credit where it's due! The original article that link is based on is interesting: The New Apple Mac Pro is Here - But Can We Build it Better (and Cheaper) PC DIY Style? - Page 3 of 3 - Futurelooks

However, I wonder how it would stack up on UK prices? Historically, we've been ripped off over here paying the same in GBP as Americans pay in USD. If that remains the case, I suspect you could still build an equal to the Mac for less in this country at least.
    Am sure @SYNACK and others from that part of the world would agree with you there @LosOjos as hear a lot about apple mac prices being very high over there as well

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Well fair play to them for that, it's unlike Apple to be cheaper but credit where it's due! The original article that link is based on is interesting: http://www.futurelooks.com/new-apple...c-diy-style/3/

Am sure @SYNACK and others from that part of the world would agree with you there @LosOjos as hear a lot about apple mac prices being very high over there as well

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Or you could go here and spec a Z820: http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/Mid...D=19701&SBLID=

I stopped at $81,334.

Now I just need to figure out what I'd use 512GB RAM for....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Or you could go here and spec a Z820: http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/Mid...D=19701&SBLID=

I stopped at $81,334.

Now I just need to figure out what I'd use 512GB RAM for....
    Ramdisk for a huge multiplayer server of Minecraft? 😄

Thank Post
    I do buy Apple computers for the build quality, the oldest I've still got are..

1 x Mac SE30 (1990)
    1 x Centris 610 (1993)
    1 x PowerMac G3 (1998)

Still all power up and work fine, I sometimes use them and reminisce.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My old housemate had a G3 macbook. He spent his time playing guitar through it or playing marathon infinity.

Great old machines!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've got a G3 tower downstairs in my lounge. I fire it up occasionally to play Harry the Handsome Executive. Those were an era of easy to service machines.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast