+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Mac Thread, Anyone buy Apple machines just for the build quality? in Technical; It's worth noting that business class laptops normally retail for the same price as a mbp. For example lenovo thinkpads ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's worth noting that business class laptops normally retail for the same price as a mbp. For example lenovo thinkpads usually retail brand new for close to a grand and spec wise they're very similar. But whilst incredibly robust I wouldn't say that very got the same solid seamless feel as a mbp. For example I love the T420 bit it's both bigger than an mbp and doesn't feel as well put together (although we all know it'll be indestructible) and special wise at launch it had no higher areas than the current mac.

Thank Post
    Yeah but buying a lenovo instead means you're not assimilated into the Apple collective

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spacebar View Post
    Show me an example They might be close, but they do not match the level, unless there is a device that I have not seen.
    Just to let you know if you actually read the posts you will have seen I owned a Mac and my school have 100 of the things! Have you ever owned an Alienware laptop? Unlikely, these things are the same price as a Mac with around 10x the spec and I have my Alienware and a MacBook here and there's no denying it my Alienware is better designed, has nicer use of materials and is more rugged with additional add ons like an MSATA SSD and a 2.5" SSD, it would already beat the Macs 2.5" HDD in reliability because SSD's are more rugged than mechanical HDD, there is something in my computer called a freefall sensor so the computer known when it's been dropped and powers itself down before it hits the ground thus saving all my work and not corrupting the hard drive like the Mac most likely would.
    Please tell me how a piece of hardware in a Mac differs to the same hardware in a PC? How an intel processor such as the i5 is somehow better in a Mac then a PC? It's not same hardware same reliability.

As said before because you obviously didn't bother reading the post the only + I can see is the screen which could do 4k, but put 4k resolution on a 15" screen and it defeats the object the pixels are too small and therefore the screen is far to small to work on. Though you are obviously just stating things for the hell of it you haven't backed up your argument on why you think Apple products are more reliable, if the hardware is no different and the only difference about it is that it has some metal around the outside for a case then I'm sorry you have been tricked into something Apple do very well at..... Marketing.

The only thing that is of better build quality is Mac OSX and that is because it's a *nix based OS and is less likely to have problems or crash. Though if you know how to maintain it properly neither will Windows.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi
    I prefer apple but that's just personal preference
    Not sure I could have guessed with your username

1) At least the solid base unit enclosure for the laptop range using a solid aluminium block instead of plastic which if lent on with some weight or if taken apart wrongly gives way / snaps / breaks etc
    This I agree with, it does feel more solid, however, the aluminium isn't a solid block, as if it was they'd have customs issues sending MBPs with precious metals in. Best way to describe the aluminium block is that it has half of the centre missing.

2) I prefer the back lit keyboard that you get with it as standard
    I've had this on various laptops, whilst not standard, it isn't a mac thing, I also have this on my PC. Point is moot however considering Acer, Lenovo and Dell offer these options at no extra cost on their custom builds.

3) High res screen - not looked at alternative laptops so can't comment on this point to be fair
    Many laptops I deal with at work, have screens that can go to 2560x1440, and even a small handful which can go to 3840x2160 (New toshiba ones reserved for Partners).

4) I do to some extent think gpu's on the laptop range should be better for what you pay
    Yup, though the GPUs are getting better. They'll never rival a desktop graphics card however, but they are definitely getting better.

I know the newer mbp's have items glued in place so am not keen on the newer ones for this as makes repairs a total PITA
    Hasn't this been the case since 2011? I remember opening one in a school I worked at and a lot of the components were glued in which meant I couldn't do the repair.

If however you are referring to the new mac pro then I would say its value for money ( @Arthur posted a link on this as the dual graphics cards would normally equate to a lot of ££££ and thats without the xeon cpu's, ram etc etc
    With the dual GPU option, you are paying a LOT more than you would for a single GPU, I think they tacked on nearly £200 on the Apple configurator last time I looked.

I enjoy apple devices more as a home user as

1) They work and if I have any issues I can book to go into an apple store and they sort issues out ( have not had to do that often )
    Yes that is a bonus, but you absolutely must pay for apple care for them to look at anything older than 1 year. And if you don't buy at purchase of the device, its usually a higher cost.

2) I don't have to deal with issues that I generally have to deal with on windows machines at work ranging from driver issues / hard drive or ram going faulty / having to use free tools to get rid of malware due to the current AV solution being either mis-configured or generally rubbish / DNS Issues / windows BSOD's etc
    Have you dealt with Windows 7 or 8(.1)? Driver issues have been non-existent to me since Windows 7. Hard drive/Ram faults can happen to anyone. Malware can happen to Mac users too, and when it does, it means usually a full reinstall rather than running a program, and cleaning. DNS issue is not OS specific, and can happen to Macs, as well as Unix/Linux and Windows. And I've not had a BSOD in a long time, infact I cannot genuinely remember the last BSOD I had since leaving college.

3) In comparison to linux I don't have to know a lot or do stuff on the command line. Install and go pretty much. That's not to say I don't want to learn but when its at home I just want to power it on and it work and not be greeted by errors on linux or windows etc that I then have to google and spend time on as I use it as a media and internet browsing device. I would much rather use a separate laptop for learning linux or other things in a vm so if it does go wrong then it's not an issue
    Windows is plug and play, picks up drivers and off you go, much the same as a Mac (though granted, Mac is usually quicker - but only because you can only use Mac approved hardware, which is quite limiting). Linux and Windows can be done on any machine, so I am not sure of your point. If you break it, there are literally hundreds of thousands of people willing to help out, unlike Mac where the usual advice I have found as a "new user" to some forums is "Take it too the Apple store, they can fix it for you if you have apple care" or "buy a new one as that one is old anyways". Some solid advice there!

I suppose everything is down to circumstances ie how much budget the person has, what there personal preferences are, what suits there requirements better etc etc

Only mac I currently have is a 2011 mac mini
    Yes, I agree here, it is down to budget.

You may want to look at your budget closer, as you complain A LOT on facebook about being financially stuck, or not great in terms of income/outgoings etc, when many people (myself included) have given you advice you plainly want to ignore. Many of the problems I have found with a lot of mac users, who claim to constantly be poor, is because they shell out £1K+ for hardware, slap it on a credit card or take a loan, and then make the absolute minimum payments, then the next year (or when the loan/cc is paid off) do it again. Its a horrible cycle and seems one that many (not saying all) Apple fans fall into.
    Last edited by nephilim; 11th April 2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: fixed horrible spelling errors

5. Thanks to nephilim from:

mthomas08 (14th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    there is something in my computer called a freefall sensor so the computer known when it's been dropped and powers itself down before it hits the ground thus saving all my work and not corrupting the hard drive
    Just out of curiosity... have you ever tried this? It would have to do everything bloody quickly! I don't suppose you have, as I don't think many people are into throwing their £1k laptop about.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by APMerry View Post
    Just out of curiosity... have you ever tried this? It would have to do everything bloody quickly! I don't suppose you have, as I don't think many people are into throwing their £1k laptop about.
    I haven't tried it on this one though my Girlfriends laptops (which is a new Dell) has got 1 too with a HDD and a freefall sensor. She dropped hers at college while it was on and in her hand. When she picked it up off the floor the computer had gone into hibernation and supposedly switched off the hard drive as when she started it back up it gives you a notice on what the freefall sensor has done! So I'm pretty sure it does work... well it does on hers anyway, but no I have never tried it on mine!! Haha

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    my Alienware is better designed, has nicer use of materials and is more rugged with additional add ons like an MSATA SSD and a 2.5" SSD, it would already beat the Macs 2.5" HDD in reliability because SSD's are more rugged than mechanical HDD.
    Just a quick note here,

Every MBP above the entry level (so every one at £1099 or above) comes with PCIe based SSD storage as standard, far superior to MSATA in terms of raw speed.
    Plus they get the awesome screen too. Now you may say the pixels are too small on a screen that size, but I don't care, it's a thing of beauty and a native res of 2560x1600 looks awesome!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mac laptops have had freefall sensors since the PowerBook and iBook were the current lines, i.e. since 2005

Sudden Motion Sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

There was even a screensaver which could read input from the thing and show which way the machine was being tilted.

Anyway, freefall sensors aren't foolproof. Even when the hard drive is powered down they are susceptible to impact damage.
    Last edited by Norphy; 11th April 2014 at 09:34 AM.

Thank Post
    I actually compare Apple to modern day BMW and Audi. People think they are 'bombproof' which they aren't. People think they are superior build quality of which they aren't. People think they are good looking of which most models undoubtedly are.

The above are ultimately for posers.

Thank Post
    Cheers guys for telling me that, I never knew and appreciate the feedback. Still no one has answered how a MBP is any different in quality hardware wise to an equivalent PC? The outside chassis/case is the only difference in my opinion... and that gets easily scratched and damaged, it bends also which I don't like and the metal itself feels tacky in my opinion.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What model Alienware do you have btw?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    What model Alienware do you have btw?
    Alienware 17, 500GB SSD,
    128GB MSATA Cache SSD,
    1TB HDD,
    32GB RAM,
    Broadcomm AC Wifi
    1080p 120hz 3D screen
    Nvidia 780m 4GB GDDR5 GPU
    i7 M700MQ @ 2.4Ghz Tubro to 3.6Ghz
    Intel 4600 HD Intergrated GPU
    Blu-Ray Rewriter

Love it best thing I have ever bought!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Alienware 17, 500GB SSD,
    128GB MSATA Cache SSD,
    1TB HDD,
    32GB RAM,
    Broadcomm AC Wifi
    1080p 120hz 3D screen
    Nvidia 780m 4GB GDDR5 GPU
    i7 M700MQ @ 2.4Ghz Tubro to 3.6Ghz
    Intel 4600 HD Intergrated GPU
    Blu-Ray Rewriter

Love it best thing I have ever bought!
    That's not a laptop, it's a house!!

It weighs over four kilos! Yes it mght have a decent spec, but i'd take a MBP over that any day. You don't need that musch spec, for gaming I have a decent desktop rig that will out perform your 'laptop'. I want a solid build (can't beat aluminium), portability, something that doesn't weigh as much as my car would be nice. My 17" MBP weighs less than 3 kilos and has a slightly nicer screen (1920 x 1200(not bothered about 3d, it's a gimmick at best)) and it five years old. It still plays what few games I need it too when on the move (Arkham Asylum (1080p), Football Manager & a heavily modded Star Wars Empire at War). With 8GB ram and a decent Core 2 Duo it still runs as fast as ever, even under 10.9.

You did get a good deal on that though! Can't find your spec for even slightly close to what you paid...
    Last edited by ICTDirect_Dave; 11th April 2014 at 10:36 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    That's not a laptop, it's a house!!

It weighs over four kilos! Yes it mght have a decent spec, but i'd take a MBP over that any day. You don't need that musch spec, for gaming I have a decent desktop rig that will out perform your 'laptop'. I want a solid build (can't beat aluminium), portability, something that doesn't weigh as much as my car would be nice. My 17" MBP weighs less than 3 kilos and has a slightly nicer screen (1920 x 1200(not bothered about 3d, it's a gimmick at best)) and it five years old. It still plays what few games I need it too when on the move (Arkham Asylum (1080p), Football Manager & a heavily modded Star Wars Empire at War). With 8GB ram and a decent Core 2 Duo it still runs as fast as ever, even under 10.9.

You did get a good deal on that though! Can't find your spec for even slightly close to what you paid...
    Haha it does way a ton. But it's not too bad it was just to replace my desktop gaming rig and my surface pro and combine them into one. I do a lot of travelling and go on holidays often with the over half, so it's nice that when she's getting ready and take 2 hours or more... I can sit in the hotel room and game my heart away and don't have to watch Portuguese TV to pass the time! I am aware that you can buy better desktops but I don't regret my purchase one bit. It will still play titles like Theif on full graphical settings. Also you can't go anywhere but your house if you want to game where as I can go anywhere, the mbp wouldn't live up to it you'd be lucky if you could run Orcs must die. The price was £1399 I bought it off a friend who only had it for a month but was moving to Abu Dabi or however you spell that place and he didn't want to take it with him! Long story I also chose Alienware as I can upgrade the GPU and it won't void the warranty (if you get accidental cover it includes it) So next year will be upgrading to the 880m or 980m So it's future proofed just like a desktop. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't that cheap but it has been the best purchase I have ever made it's a thing of beauty!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Horrible argument that's been done to death.

If you need max osx, buy a mac
    If you need windows, buy a pc
    If you buy a mac SOLELY to use windows, you're a moron.
    This made me crack up! Brilliant.

Although I will add:
    If you need internet access: There are tons of choices on the cheap.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast