+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Mac Thread, Anyone buy Apple machines just for the build quality? in Technical; Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 Why they decided to remove the caps lock button in place of home and end keys ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    Why they decided to remove the caps lock button in place of home and end keys then delegate this to a function combination is extremely odd. The Asus Zenbooks are a good alternative for nice build quality IMO having used one for a short while, the only downside is your limited to 13" but at a lovely 2560 x 1440 resolution
    I agree they do tend to do strange things with a Keyboard - but i am now used to how the keyboard is layed out and it doesn't bother me.

Thank Post
    I considered an alienware m14 but it's slightly bulky and heavy for my liking. I like the look of some of the slimmed down laptops from MSI and Razer though. They seem to pack plenty of power and aren't too heavy (<2kg).

Razer Blade 14 Review

MSI GS60 Ghost Review

Thing is I'd want to see one before spending that kind of money on it. None of my local stores would stock the MSI and Razer don't even had an official distributor in the UK as far as I can see which doesn't bode well for support. One advantage the Alienware does have is that it's backed by Dell so support isn't an issue. I just wish that Alienware would bring out some slightly sleeker looking and more portable models.

Edit: Those Asus Zenbooks look really nice too actually
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 9th April 2014 at 12:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I considered it in the past, but have found that Dell's XPS models are superb in terms of build quality, and despite being premium models they still come in a little bit less than Apple. I'd take my XPS 13 Ultrabook over a MacBook Air any day.

@flyinghaggis - after the amount of trouble I've had with Razer products recently (and their support), I'd avoid like the plague if I were you. @CAM will back me up on this

Thank Post
    @AngryTechnician - Thanks for the heads up. I keep contemplating whether I could replace my ageing desktop with a laptop then use that as my primary PC with a monitor/keyboard/mouse at home but still be able to carry it around when required.

I still haven't seen any laptops that would really fit the bill. The Razer looked good but the support threads I've read and comments about their general reliability scare me!
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 9th April 2014 at 12:25 PM.

Thank Post
    The Alienware 14 isn't too bad my friend has one and it isn't half as heavy as my 17. MSI have never let me down and I do believe that would be a very good choice of laptop although before making a purchase like this I will always do some extensive research on YouTube of unboxing and reviews!

Thank Post
    The 14" AlienWare isn't that heavy! Yes, it's thick but that is because of the number of good components in there.

I find mine is lighter than someone of the big cheap Toshiba 17"s that staff keep bringing in.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Do you want OS X? I don't get people who buy a mac to run windows on it...
    Personally, I don't get this argument. I have a MacBook Pro and I use OS X as my primary OS for everyday general browsing and bits and bobs. But, I also have VMware Fusion virtual machine on it running Windows 8.1 because sometimes I just need to do something in Windows which you can't do on a Mac. I find Microsoft Office much more feature filled on Windows and I am a heavy user of OneNote. Something I couldn't do on a Mac until last week. I also do a lot of work using Paint.Net and there isn't really an as easy to use alternative on OS X (Not that I know of anyway!)

What I'm trying to say is that it's nice that my MacBook can do both. I can run OS X and use the features and apps attributed to it and I can fire up a VM or BootCamp and use Windows when needs be. All in 1 machine. Not something I can do seamlessly on a PC/Laptop (Yes, I know you can do Hackint0sh etc, but it's an awful lot of faffing around whereas it's as easy as pie on a Mac).

Essentially, although you are paying a lot more for a MacBook than a Windows laptop, you are getting the flexibility of the best of both worlds, being able to seamlessly run OS X and Windows. And yes, I do feel that the build quality of a MacBook is highly better than most Windows laptops. I've had many laptops in the past, Acer, Toshiba, Samsung and even a Vaio. None of which really came close to the quality feel of my MacBook which is now out of the 3 year AppleCare warranty, but still going strong.

Also, who said you can't change the battery on a MacBook? (Sure, it might not be as easy as replacing a standard removable battery, but it's not the hardest thing in the world).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    Personally, I don't get this argument.
    It wasn't an argument? He was simply stating he doesn't understand why some people buy a Mac and then never end up using the OSX side only using Windows on it. I have to agree with him here we have around 30 Macs and out of all the teachers only 2 in the whole school actually use them on the Mac Side the rest switch straight to Windows. So then what's the point in buying £1000+ Macintosh that has the same spec as some of the Asus laptops here which where £350 to do the exactly the same job.... Unless you have disposable income of course and just want it to try and look cooler.

If you're using OSX and Windows equally such as yourself then there's no probhlem in that you're making the most out of the amount of money you have spent but if you just use it for Windows all the time 24/7 then why not go with the Asus?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I considered it in the past, but have found that Dell's XPS models are superb in terms of build quality, and despite being premium models they still come in a little bit less than Apple. I'd take my XPS 13 Ultrabook over a MacBook Air any day.

@flyinghaggis - after the amount of trouble I've had with Razer products recently (and their support), I'd avoid like the plague if I were you. @CAM will back me up on this
    I'm never touching a Razer product again. -.-

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I'm never touching a Razer product again. -.-
    Really that bad? What happened?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I buy kit because it does what I need it to do ... and choose the best I can afford. The result may or may not be Apple. Frquently it isn't because it's not what I need.
    Same, it's also what I recommend to other people. I've had two members of staff this year alone asking shall I buy an Apple, I instantly ask "what do you want to use it for". Both have said word/internet.

I respond with that's expensive device just to use word and the internet. I give them products e.g. tablets, laptops, PCs and let them choose. As long as they get accurate information it's down to them what device they get but both times the person who is a Apple fan has told them to simply buy Apple without even asking them what they intend to use it for.

Have to remember there is such a thing as expensive machines that come with Windows that are the same high quality build as an Apple device. The only thing that really is different is the OS.

I know some one that spent the money on the Alienware laptop, very expensive, very impressive and he's had no trouble with it after 2 Years.

At the end of the day if you shop around you can find other machines that just look as pretty, same components inside and as mentioned above it's only the OS that's any different. We have 5 Year old all in ones here and the only difference is they are black compared to White. The keyboard are cheap but again Lenovo do nice flat keyboards (have one at home) which cost a little more. It looks the same as the apple ones but black instead of white (don't cost as much as a Apple keyboard either).
    So yes, if you shop around you can find something that is very similar in quality but the OS will be different.
    Last edited by mthomas08; 9th April 2014 at 01:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    both times the person who is a Apple fan has told them to simply buy Apple without even asking them what they intend to use it for.
    This drives me mad! I know a few people that are like that, it's like a cult.

Thank Post
    Mac Mini's I can understand, they are impressive little machines for sure. But I have found that iMac's and Macbook's are no more robust than other hardware, in a school environment the costs can ramp up (chipped glass on the new iMac's for example will set you back a few hundred pounds to get resolved), not to mention the keyboards can be pretty short-lasting (build quality of the keyboard 'part' of the keyboard is fine, its the cable quality / strain relief they seem to sacrifice to achieve the most appealing design), the same goes with the mice really. As for Macbook's, they can get just as dented / scratched as any other laptop if people aren't careful with them.

Thank Post
    For a Laptop i would go Apple for build quality and at home i would buy nothing else. If i was after a desktop currently the only reason i would get a desktop Mac would be to run Mac OS. I've had the Acer's, the HP's and the Sony laptops and they work, but they just do not come close to the current MacBooks. Just little things like the Magsafe connector for the power so if you trip over the cable your laptop does not go flying, the gesture trackpad with no buttons. The Macbook Air is my favourite of all the laptops i own, i think its a bargain at the price you get an i5, solid state hard drive, backlit keyboard, bluetooth, magsafe power connector, wireless A,B,G,N,AC , webcam, upto 13 hour battery, gesture mouse and its just so thin and light. Add to this they actually hold some value unlike other brands which just nose dive £891 for the entry model with edu discount is a great price, plus you get to run Mac OS which is great.

Thank Post
    I want to have babies with the new Mac Pro.

I don't get all inappropriate over hardware very often, but I want that system BAD! You know, I'd even put up with OSX.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast