+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 225
Mac Thread, Anyone buy Apple machines just for the build quality? in Technical; Originally Posted by seawolf I agree that nothing should be purchased for the wrong reasons or based on misinformation. However, ...
  1. #166
    mthomas08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,615
    Thank Post
    134
    Thanked 165 Times in 146 Posts
    Rep Power
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I agree that nothing should be purchased for the wrong reasons or based on misinformation. However, I think your frustrations with a single person at your school have resulted in some over the top conclusions.

    For one, there is no way a $400 PC is going to be equivalent in specs and quality to a $1,200 iMac. Or, a $220 PC is going to be equivalent to a $660 Mac Mini. That would be feeding your management as much misinformation as you're complaining of. Now, a $400 PC might in fact solve the problem at hand and a $660 Mac Mini or $1,200 iMac isn't needed in any way, but that's a different argument.

    As for Premiere Pro, it does in fact have its own problems even on Macs, and I consider it to be absolute rubbish compared to FCPX. We stopped using Premier Pro two years ago in favour of FCPX in fact and our media teacher and students have never been happier. If the argument were to get Macs so they could use iMovie, FCPX, Motion, and Logic Pro - I would be right there fighting in that corner. But, not just because they thought Premier Pro would magically work better on a Mac.
    Think your making your own over the top conclusions, I based the spec of the machine to what it will be doing. Exactly the reason why I say Windows PC over a Mac, no point spending that kind of money on a device which isn't going to be used for its max potential. I didn't give them misleading information I gave them what was needed and enough to last 5+ years as well.

    I did not say the cheaper Windows PC was matching the spec of the over priced Mac I simply told them this is what you need as shown with the current Windows PC which that staff member uses and has used for 3 years with no trouble. As for Premiere this isn't my choice nor my specialty it's all down to the teacher who actually uses the software.

    Sorry for going on but I am not having anyone claim "I give misleading info" the only time I would ever do that is if I actually didn't know and I am never afraid of putting my hands up on that.

  2. #167

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,923
    Thank Post
    1,626
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    429
    To be fair, adobe products USED to be miles better on Macs however, and the reputation has stuck. Now the playing field has been leveled substantially now that it takes GPU power primarily over CPU.

    As for purchases here, where I am now. IF there is a need for buying Macs (such as a specific software required and it can only be used on a Mac) then we will buy a Mac Server (maybe a Mac mini server or something), and then set up a remote service for it. We wouldn't buy up one machine for each member of staff.

  3. #168

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    969
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 283 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    As for purchases here, where I am now. IF there is a need for buying Macs (such as a specific software required and it can only be used on a Mac) then we will buy a Mac Server (maybe a Mac mini server or something), and then set up a remote service for it. We wouldn't buy up one machine for each member of staff.
    That probably wouldn't work very well. It would be like using Terminal Services to play Crysis 3 on a Windows Server. Better not to even bother IMHO.

  4. Thanks to seawolf from:

    Jwzg (15th April 2014)

  5. #169

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    969
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 283 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Think your making your own over the top conclusions, I based the spec of the machine to what it will be doing. Exactly the reason why I say Windows PC over a Mac, no point spending that kind of money on a device which isn't going to be used for its max potential. I didn't give them misleading information I gave them what was needed and enough to last 5+ years as well.

    I did not say the cheaper Windows PC was matching the spec of the over priced Mac I simply told them this is what you need as shown with the current Windows PC which that staff member uses and has used for 3 years with no trouble. As for Premiere this isn't my choice nor my specialty it's all down to the teacher who actually uses the software.

    Sorry for going on but I am not having anyone claim "I give misleading info" the only time I would ever do that is if I actually didn't know and I am never afraid of putting my hands up on that.
    My apologies. I obviously misread what your were trying to say. A word of advice - minimising run on sentences would convey your point more clearly and make misunderstandings less likely.

  6. #170
    Fleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    715
    Thank Post
    162
    Thanked 89 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Boys and their toys, eh...

  7. #171

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    68
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    5
    Apple are apparently going to be making a "cheap" imac soon according to reports, so see what happens then. Hope its nothing like the iPhone C which is a complete waste of time.

  8. #172
    Norphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Harpenden
    Posts
    2,314
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 292 Times in 228 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    116
    Apple have a history of doing this. The last one was marketed directly to education at around the time they were using nVIDIA chipsets and Core 2 Duo CPUs. It was similar to the lowest end 20" iMac at the time but had a few features like Bluetooth removed and iirc a lower clocked CPU.

  9. #173

    ICTDirect_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ribchester
    Posts
    1,715
    Thank Post
    307
    Thanked 312 Times in 248 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    Apple have a history of doing this. The last one was marketed directly to education at around the time they were using nVIDIA chipsets and Core 2 Duo CPUs. It was similar to the lowest end 20" iMac at the time but had a few features like Bluetooth removed and iirc a lower clocked CPU.
    They did it with a 21.5" core i3 machine as well. No bluetooth, but still with the wireless, a 3.06GHz core i3, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, was good at the time. Can't remember how much they went for though.

  10. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

    Norphy (15th April 2014)

  11. #174
    Norphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Harpenden
    Posts
    2,314
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 292 Times in 228 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    116
    Ah right, I didn't realise they'd made a newer one since then.

  12. #175

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    32
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    I wish they'd hurry up and add touch to their macbooks. I found an apple price list in one of my schools and someone had circled the retina macbooks and noted they were the touchscreen models. A red sharpie quickly resolved this misunderstanding!

  13. #176

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    969
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 283 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
    I wish they'd hurry up and add touch to their macbooks. I found an apple price list in one of my schools and someone had circled the retina macbooks and noted they were the touchscreen models. A red sharpie quickly resolved this misunderstanding!
    I still don't get the use case for a touchscreen on a laptop and desktop. It works great for a kiosk, but otherwise I've found it somewhat useless.

  14. #177

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,758
    Thank Post
    3,269
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Rep Power
    365

    Anyone buy Apple machines just for the build quality?

    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I still don't get the use case for a touchscreen on a laptop and desktop. It works great for a kiosk, but otherwise I've found it somewhat useless.
    Me either unless like you said already it being used for a kiosk. Surely an iPad with one of those keyboard docks or an apple bluetooth keyboard and an iPad protective case, stand and kingston type lock would suffice ?

    Could even get an android tablet and do something similar like one of the google tablets / asus or whatever
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 16th April 2014 at 07:05 AM.

  15. #178


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,893
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Rep Power
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Surely an iPad with one of those keyboard docks or an apple bluetooth keyboard and an iPad protective case, stand and kingston type lock would suffice?
    Those peripherals essentially turn the iPad into a laptop/netbook with a touchscreen.

  16. #179

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    32
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Just quicker for certain tasks or situations. Although a macbook air with a detachable lid that runs iOS would be properly handy, they'd never do it

  17. #180

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,407
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 639 Times in 521 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
    I wish they'd hurry up and add touch to their macbooks. I found an apple price list in one of my schools and someone had circled the retina macbooks and noted they were the touchscreen models. A red sharpie quickly resolved this misunderstanding!
    I thought that, then like others have said, what would be the point? You've basically then be better of with a iPad! Which is a dedicated touch device. If they did that you'd end up with a OS trying to do too much - much as I love Win8.1, it does seem like it's trying to do too much. It was when I was looking at getting a touch screen monitor JUST for the metro homepage and still using a keyboard\mouse that it kinda sunk in. Still be great for a media centre PC, still I'd prob get a xbox one if I wanted to do that...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Building Schools for the Future
    By Dos_Box in forum IT News
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11th July 2008, 01:08 PM
  2. ICT in Building Schools for the Future
    By Squashy in forum BSF
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd July 2008, 01:02 PM
  3. Looking for the VLE SEF.. anyone?
    By steele_uk in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29th March 2008, 09:09 AM
  4. How to block GChat....Just for the students!
    By acrobson in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13th June 2007, 02:10 PM
  5. Need to buy a Laser Printer for the staff room.
    By tosca925 in forum Hardware
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10th October 2006, 05:15 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •