+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
Mac Thread, Anyone buy Apple machines just for the build quality? in Technical; Originally Posted by seawolf I agree that nothing should be purchased for the wrong reasons or based on misinformation. However, ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I agree that nothing should be purchased for the wrong reasons or based on misinformation. However, I think your frustrations with a single person at your school have resulted in some over the top conclusions.

For one, there is no way a $400 PC is going to be equivalent in specs and quality to a $1,200 iMac. Or, a $220 PC is going to be equivalent to a $660 Mac Mini. That would be feeding your management as much misinformation as you're complaining of. Now, a $400 PC might in fact solve the problem at hand and a $660 Mac Mini or $1,200 iMac isn't needed in any way, but that's a different argument.

As for Premiere Pro, it does in fact have its own problems even on Macs, and I consider it to be absolute rubbish compared to FCPX. We stopped using Premier Pro two years ago in favour of FCPX in fact and our media teacher and students have never been happier. If the argument were to get Macs so they could use iMovie, FCPX, Motion, and Logic Pro - I would be right there fighting in that corner. But, not just because they thought Premier Pro would magically work better on a Mac.
    Think your making your own over the top conclusions, I based the spec of the machine to what it will be doing. Exactly the reason why I say Windows PC over a Mac, no point spending that kind of money on a device which isn't going to be used for its max potential. I didn't give them misleading information I gave them what was needed and enough to last 5+ years as well.

I did not say the cheaper Windows PC was matching the spec of the over priced Mac I simply told them this is what you need as shown with the current Windows PC which that staff member uses and has used for 3 years with no trouble. As for Premiere this isn't my choice nor my specialty it's all down to the teacher who actually uses the software.

Sorry for going on but I am not having anyone claim "I give misleading info" the only time I would ever do that is if I actually didn't know and I am never afraid of putting my hands up on that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, adobe products USED to be miles better on Macs however, and the reputation has stuck. Now the playing field has been leveled substantially now that it takes GPU power primarily over CPU.

As for purchases here, where I am now. IF there is a need for buying Macs (such as a specific software required and it can only be used on a Mac) then we will buy a Mac Server (maybe a Mac mini server or something), and then set up a remote service for it. We wouldn't buy up one machine for each member of staff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    As for purchases here, where I am now. IF there is a need for buying Macs (such as a specific software required and it can only be used on a Mac) then we will buy a Mac Server (maybe a Mac mini server or something), and then set up a remote service for it. We wouldn't buy up one machine for each member of staff.
    That probably wouldn't work very well. It would be like using Terminal Services to play Crysis 3 on a Windows Server. Better not to even bother IMHO.

4. Thanks to seawolf from:

Jwzg (15th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Think your making your own over the top conclusions, I based the spec of the machine to what it will be doing. Exactly the reason why I say Windows PC over a Mac, no point spending that kind of money on a device which isn't going to be used for its max potential. I didn't give them misleading information I gave them what was needed and enough to last 5+ years as well.

I did not say the cheaper Windows PC was matching the spec of the over priced Mac I simply told them this is what you need as shown with the current Windows PC which that staff member uses and has used for 3 years with no trouble. As for Premiere this isn't my choice nor my specialty it's all down to the teacher who actually uses the software.

Sorry for going on but I am not having anyone claim "I give misleading info" the only time I would ever do that is if I actually didn't know and I am never afraid of putting my hands up on that.
    My apologies. I obviously misread what your were trying to say. A word of advice - minimising run on sentences would convey your point more clearly and make misunderstandings less likely.

Thank Post
    Boys and their toys, eh...

Thank Post
    Apple are apparently going to be making a "cheap" imac soon according to reports, so see what happens then. Hope its nothing like the iPhone C which is a complete waste of time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apple have a history of doing this. The last one was marketed directly to education at around the time they were using nVIDIA chipsets and Core 2 Duo CPUs. It was similar to the lowest end 20" iMac at the time but had a few features like Bluetooth removed and iirc a lower clocked CPU.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    Apple have a history of doing this. The last one was marketed directly to education at around the time they were using nVIDIA chipsets and Core 2 Duo CPUs. It was similar to the lowest end 20" iMac at the time but had a few features like Bluetooth removed and iirc a lower clocked CPU.
    They did it with a 21.5" core i3 machine as well. No bluetooth, but still with the wireless, a 3.06GHz core i3, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, was good at the time. Can't remember how much they went for though.

10. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

Norphy (15th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah right, I didn't realise they'd made a newer one since then.

Thank Post
    I wish they'd hurry up and add touch to their macbooks. I found an apple price list in one of my schools and someone had circled the retina macbooks and noted they were the touchscreen models. A red sharpie quickly resolved this misunderstanding!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
    I wish they'd hurry up and add touch to their macbooks. I found an apple price list in one of my schools and someone had circled the retina macbooks and noted they were the touchscreen models. A red sharpie quickly resolved this misunderstanding!
    I still don't get the use case for a touchscreen on a laptop and desktop. It works great for a kiosk, but otherwise I've found it somewhat useless.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts

Anyone buy Apple machines just for the build quality?

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I still don't get the use case for a touchscreen on a laptop and desktop. It works great for a kiosk, but otherwise I've found it somewhat useless.
    Me either unless like you said already it being used for a kiosk. Surely an iPad with one of those keyboard docks or an apple bluetooth keyboard and an iPad protective case, stand and kingston type lock would suffice ?

Could even get an android tablet and do something similar like one of the google tablets / asus or whatever
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 16th April 2014 at 07:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Surely an iPad with one of those keyboard docks or an apple bluetooth keyboard and an iPad protective case, stand and kingston type lock would suffice?
    Those peripherals essentially turn the iPad into a laptop/netbook with a touchscreen.

Thank Post
    Just quicker for certain tasks or situations. Although a macbook air with a detachable lid that runs iOS would be properly handy, they'd never do it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
    I thought that, then like others have said, what would be the point? You've basically then be better of with a iPad! Which is a dedicated touch device. If they did that you'd end up with a OS trying to do too much - much as I love Win8.1, it does seem like it's trying to do too much. It was when I was looking at getting a touch screen monitor JUST for the metro homepage and still using a keyboard\mouse that it kinda sunk in. Still be great for a media centre PC, still I'd prob get a xbox one if I wanted to do that...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread