+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Profile Manager - Preferences Dont Apply First Login in Technical; Hi guys, Need some help - I've successfully set up profile manager and enrolled our mac clients. I've created an ...

Thank Post

Question Profile Manager - Preferences Dont Apply First Login

Hi guys,

Need some help - I've successfully set up profile manager and enrolled our mac clients. I've created an open directory group and nested our AD users inside, but the preferences do not apply on first login. They do however apply when you login the 2nd time. If you go to system preferences - profiles you can see the correct profiles are downloaded when the user logs in, and the dock and background refresh as though they are applying the preferences but nothing happens until the 2nd login.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Have you found a solution for this?
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi,

Never did manage to get it working just ended up using workgroup manager for user preferences and profile manager for system.... ran out time to get a working solution in place let me know if you work it out though please

Thank Post
    my school is new to this iMac and OSX Server. I have my iMacs on our windows network pupils can login and see the home directory. Osx server is running. ive created a test group with restrictions applied. like taking away settings finder etc, but these settings do not apply to any of our 3 iMacs. Stumped. anyone shed any light?

thanks

Thank Post
    Have you added the enrollment and trust profiles to the macs?

Thank Post
    ive just installed a trust profile - Which is unsigned on a iMac
    on the profile manager I can work out how to make it appear in the device group.

OSX server is very new to me

Thank Post
    Ok cool
    How are you applying the preferences are you trying to set the restrictions using computer groups or active directory users? also what version are you using of OS X on your iMac clients and profile manager server?

Thank Post
    in the osx server (left hand side under accounts, users I see all my AD users.) click the user and right hand says (not allowed)
    under profile manager same user I have applied some basic restrictions to start with to make sure its working. like you do for the ios apple configurator.
    but when logon to any imac the setting restrictions do not apply.
    within profile manager I cannot work out how to get my imac's to appear there

Thank Post
    If the iMacs do not show up in profile manager devices tab you need to go to your servers FQDN so for instance: osx-server.yourdomain.internal/mydevices
    If you then click the enrol button a series of prompts will appear, the end result of which will be the mac appearing in profile manager. At this point I usually then apply a machine policy in profile manager e.g. show Test machine on the lock screen as its then obvious that the machine part of the settings are applying.
    User settings are a bit more complicated and in the end I gave up with profile manager for user based settings and instead used the traditional workgroup manager method. If your users are active directory based ensure you are not using OS X mavericks 10.9. You will need at least 10.9.1 update to ensure that preferences of any kind apply to users from AD. There is a flaw in 10.9 which stops preferences applying to user groups that are AD based.

10. Thanks to jthornton1605 from:

andybarker27 (18th June 2014)

Thank Post
    osx-server.yourdomain.internal/mydevices I have now successfully enrolled one iMac, which now appears on Profile Manager.

using my test login the settings I restricted didn't work, but I feel one huge step closer.

Thank you very much for your help so far :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jthornton1605 View Post
    Hi guys,

Need some help - I've successfully set up profile manager and enrolled our mac clients. I've created an open directory group and nested our AD users inside, but the preferences do not apply on first login. They do however apply when you login the 2nd time. If you go to system preferences - profiles you can see the correct profiles are downloaded when the user logs in, and the dock and background refresh as though they are applying the preferences but nothing happens until the 2nd login.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    User-level Profiles don't work very reliably and certainly not on first login. Computer-level profiles usually work quite well though. Best solution I've found is to script the install of user level profiles at login and removal at logout. Since a profile is just XML and can be exported, they can be pushed and pulled in this way. WGM worked much, much better for user-level settings.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread