+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, VPP, Profile Manager and iPads Ummm... in Technical; Freshly extracted conversation on the finer points of actually getting Profile Manager working with iPads and VPP. Long story short, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries

VPP, Profile Manager and iPads Ummm...

Freshly extracted conversation on the finer points of actually getting Profile Manager working with iPads and VPP.

Long story short, the apps do not show up in profile manager.

----original extraction----

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    If you have a Mac server, just use Profile Manager.

Using Profile Manager 3 In Mavericks Server | Krypted
    If you have a mac server and several weeks to spend on hold with Apple tec support
    Last edited by SYNACK; 31st March 2014 at 12:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    If you have a mac server and several weeks to spend on hold with Apple tec support
    Interesting, since PM often works better than many 3rd party MDMs, especially in smaller environments (under 100). So, I'll give that comment the well deserved - whatever.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Interesting, since PM often works better than many 3rd party MDMs, especially in smaller environments (under 100). So, I'll give that comment the well deserved - whatever.
    Having spent three weeks being bounced around apple thanks to two corrupted apple IDs that no one seemed to be able to diagnose let alone fix and still not being able to get VPP apps to show up in the wretched thing it leaves me longing for a nice comparatively clean hundred or so page Linux config file in Chinese that actually had a shot of working. Profile manager appears to be a very large pile of junk and a solution that actually had documentation better thank 'look at the pretty' would be a better choice.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Having spent three weeks being bounced around apple thanks to two corrupted apple IDs that no one seemed to be able to diagnose let alone fix and still not being able to get VPP apps to show up in the wretched thing it leaves me longing for a nice comparatively clean hundred or so page Linux config file in Chinese that actually had a shot of working. Profile manager appears to be a very large pile of junk and a solution that actually had documentation better thank 'look at the pretty' would be a better choice.
    So, how exactly did Profile Manager corrupt two Apple IDs, or is that just a general gripe in Apple's direction?

As for VPP not showing up, is this the first time you've set it up (if so, check out the link I posted before)? Or, is this the first time that you've tried to use VPP with PM? Have you enabled Push Notifications? Opened up all of the ports required for PM to work with push notifications, etc?

There are people on here with some experience in these matters that might be able to help.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So, how exactly did Profile Manager corrupt two Apple IDs, or is that just a general gripe in Apple's direction?

As for VPP not showing up, is this the first time you've set it up (if so, check out the link I posted before)? Or, is this the first time that you've tried to use VPP with PM? Have you enabled Push Notifications? Opened up all of the ports required for PM to work with push notifications, etc?

There are people on here with some experience in these matters that might be able to help.
    General gripe about the whole system and the VPP support that have never ever got back to me in any form.

Yes it is the first time I have set it up and I did read through the link, have enabled push notifications through the firewall and it successfully pushes settings to an iPad but there are no apps that show up from the VPP despite them being purchased. I am wondering if I need yet another iTunes ID to tie into each separate user to allow for apps to show up and be pushed. Happy to separate this out into another thread if you think there may be a solution.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    General gripe about the whole system and the VPP support that have never ever got back to me in any form.
    Yes, VPP isn't currently supported very well at least outside of the US.

I am wondering if I need yet another iTunes ID to tie into each separate user to allow for apps to show up and be pushed.
    No, there are ways around this.

Happy to separate this out into another thread if you think there may be a solution.
    Yep, probably best to do that so this thread doesn't get hijacked.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, VPP isn't currently supported very well at least outside of the US.
    Couldn't agree more, even Apple support couldn't get a hold of the VPP team.

No, there are ways around this.
    @seawolf - you have my interest, is there a trick to getting the apps to show up?

Yep, probably best to do that so this thread doesn't get hijacked.
    Done

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK. Firstly what version of OS X and Server App are you using?

Next, have you downloaded the VPP token and installed it into Profile Manager? I'm sure you have, but just in case.

Are you seeing any apps at all in the "Apps" section of the web interface for PM?

Screen Shot 2014-03-31 at 11.02.56 PM.png

Now regarding the need for separate Apple IDs for each iPad. Although this is technically the case as VPP is intended to distribute to individuals, you can use a little trick to do it for a trolley of iPads. How we set this is up is to create an Apple ID (without a credit card as the payment option) for each cart of iPads. So, with your Apple ID at the ready, first use Configurator to put the iPads into supervised mode and not to require a password for every app purchase in iTunes in your profile. Then, sign into each iPad with your Apple ID created for that cart and set Apps to automatically download (iTunes & App Store). Next, create a dummy user to assign one of the iPads push out the VPP invitation to (as this is how the invitations are sent). Once you have accepted this on one of the iPads and the app has installed, you should see it start downloading on the other iPads as well.

Alternatively, you can use the method outlined in this article, which assigns all of the iPads to the one user and doesn't make use of the automatic download feature. It's just another way to try to crack the same egg (the fact it's discussing doing this usingAirWatch isn't important). Either way, its much easier than creating a separate Apple ID for each iPad.

9. 2 Thanks to seawolf:

MicrodigitUK (15th April 2014), SYNACK (31st March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK. Firstly what version of OS X and Server App are you using?
    The latest for each as at last week, I know mavericks has some issues but it came with the Mini.

Next, have you downloaded the VPP token and installed it into Profile Manager? I'm sure you have, but just in case.
    Yes, did this with the primary account which may be some of the problem, may need to use the second facilitator one again come to think of it as the first one did not allow any app purchases and got stuck in a login loop but did let me get the token perhaps the token got corrupted as well - I will try that tomorrow.

Are you seeing any apps at all in the "Apps" section of the web interface for PM?

Screen Shot 2014-03-31 at 11.02.56 PM.png
    No apps show up at all in the web interface.

Now regarding the need for separate Apple IDs for each iPad. Although this is technically the case as VPP is intended to distribute to individuals, you can use a little trick to do it for a trolley of iPads. How we set this is up is to create an Apple ID (without a credit card as the payment option) for each cart of iPads. So, with your Apple ID at the ready, first use Configurator to put the iPads into supervised mode and not to require a password for every app purchase in iTunes in your profile. Then, sign into each iPad with your Apple ID created for that cart and set Apps to automatically download (iTunes & App Store). Next, create a dummy user to assign one of the iPads push out the VPP invitation to (as this is how the invitations are sent). Once you have accepted this on one of the iPads and the app has installed, you should see it start downloading on the other iPads as well.

Alternatively, you can use the method outlined in this article, which assigns all of the iPads to the one user and doesn't make use of the automatic download feature. It's just another way to try to crack the same egg (the fact it's discussing doing this usingAirWatch isn't important). Either way, its much easier than creating a separate Apple ID for each iPad.
    Ah, the missing step was the invitation accept, I had generated an email invite for one but this seemed to require some weird hoops with iTunes. Should be easier when sorting it out to invite a device.

Thanks for your helpful and concise reply.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The latest for each as at last week, I know mavericks has some issues but it came with the Mini.
    That should be fine.

Yes, did this with the primary account which may be some of the problem, may need to use the second facilitator one again come to think of it as the first one did not allow any app purchases and got stuck in a login loop but did let me get the token perhaps the token got corrupted as well - I will try that tomorrow.
    Yes, you will need to use the VPP login that you purchased the apps with in the VPP store. The VPP login won't work for purchases in iTunes alternatively (although you can login to the iTunes store with it). There are some strange oddities with Apple IDs like this because originally created purely as a consumer purchase method and the transition for business use has been rough to say the least.

No apps show up at all in the web interface.
    I think this is likely something to do with the VPP token or the wrong ID being associated with the token. It could be another issue though. Let me know how you go with the above.

Thanks for your helpful and concise reply.
    No worries. Hopefully, it helps you get this sorted.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think this is likely something to do with the VPP token or the wrong ID being associated with the token. It could be another issue though. Let me know how you go with the above.
    Yay, they now do show up after downloading the new VPP token, it must have chewed the old one. Had some issues with it saying that there were no eligible devices and that they now seem to have changed it so that to use an apple ID on an iPad it needs a credit card or some redeemed credit making individual accounts for each user a total no go.

Just setting up a Configurator profile now that should get them supervised and enrolled for transparent pushing of apps then all I need to do is figure out how to integrate all the other individual iTunes accounts that they had setup for the first 16 iPads into the mix. I am at least making progress now which is a major change from the purgatory I was stuck in before.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yay, they now do show up after downloading the new VPP token, it must have chewed the old one. Had some issues with it saying that there were no eligible devices and that they now seem to have changed it so that to use an apple ID on an iPad it needs a credit card or some redeemed credit making individual accounts for each user a total no go.
    You actually can still create an Apple ID with "none" as the payment options. However, the pain in the bum of it is that you have to create the App ID when you are not signed into iTunes and "buy" a free app, then select "Create Apple ID" at the login prompt. If you try it any other way, the "none" option doesn't appear. Really asinine.

Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, and Mac App Store account without a credit card

If you make a single user the "owner" of all of these iPads, sign in with the same Apple ID on them all and set apps to automatically install in the App Store settings on the iPad not only will they all get the apps OTA via VPP, but in your MDM it only shows 1 license being used. We still buy the number of app licenses we need, except for the iLife/iWork suite, which comes free with new iPads. You can either just "claim" these with your Apple ID on one iPad and it gets pushed out to all, or buy 1 license of each and push it out.

Just setting up a Configurator profile now that should get them supervised and enrolled for transparent pushing of apps then all I need to do is figure out how to integrate all the other individual iTunes accounts that they had setup for the first 16 iPads into the mix. I am at least making progress now which is a major change from the purgatory I was stuck in before.
    Unless you had a load of apps purchased under those Apple IDs, you might just want to abandon them. Otherwise, it will be an ongoing pain.
    Last edited by seawolf; 1st April 2014 at 09:11 AM.

14. Thanks to seawolf from:

SYNACK (1st April 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The first lot was 15 or 16 ipads each with its own iTunes id and yes they brought stacks of apps on each. I'm going to make 15 local users on the mac and assign them to each apple id and accept the vpp on each then bang them all in a group. Should be able to sign in the first 15 back to their original ipads once they are managed then just push apps to the group which should let us keep existing stuff and push new stuff.

Have the cache switched on on the mac server and it does seem to be caching ios apps but no speed improvement yet, still like using a 56k modem and we are on a 100mbit fiber.

Got to figure out how to remote into it reliably at some point to as realvnc with screen share fails out and lags terribly when it does work.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The first lot was 15 or 16 ipads each with its own iTunes id and yes they brought stacks of apps on each. I'm going to make 15 local users on the mac and assign them to each apple id and accept the vpp on each then bang them all in a group. Should be able to sign in the first 15 back to their original ipads once they are managed then just push apps to the group which should let us keep existing stuff and push new stuff.
    Yep, that will work. Saves some money too.

Have the cache switched on on the mac server and it does seem to be caching ios apps but no speed improvement yet, still like using a 56k modem and we are on a 100mbit fiber.
    The first time you download a specific version of an app the caching server won't help. If you kick off an app download on a lot of iPads at once the caching server also won't kick in until the app is fully downloaded and an iPad starts a download. Whenever an app is updated, the first download of it won't use the caching server. However, if you are having performance issues outside of these circumstances, you might want to do a little troubleshooting - Reference 16.4 Troubleshooting the Caching Service | OS X Server Essentials: Caching Content from Apple | Peachpit

EDIT: Also, make sure you aren't using OpenDNS or Google DNS or it will make Apple downloads slooowww. I can vouch for this one.

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/1...dns-for-itunes

Got to figure out how to remote into it reliably at some point to as realvnc with screen share fails out and lags terribly when it does work.
    Apple Remote Desktop works much better than any VNC client, but if you are using Windows to manage a Mac server you might try Timbuktu or LogMeIn, which also work better than VNC most of the time.
    Last edited by seawolf; 1st April 2014 at 10:14 AM.

17. Thanks to seawolf from:

SYNACK (1st April 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OMG the VPP support team got back to me after a month, they have twiddled some settings, I only hope they have not broken what I had going

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast