+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Magic Triangle Home folder woes in Technical; Hi, I've been setting up a magic triangle setup for our 16 iMacs (10.8) and amazingly it all seems to ...

Thank Post

Magic Triangle Home folder woes

Hi,

I've been setting up a magic triangle setup for our 16 iMacs (10.8) and amazingly it all seems to have gone quite well. However, I seem to have got stuck correctly mapping A/D users' home drives.

In WGM Ive added 'network home share point' and chosen to authenticate with that users credentials.
    When a user logs on you can see their correct home drive path (in this case smb://whs4034-uss-03/student_home$/2013/ahmeh248.309) and when I go to System Preferences->Users and Groups->*Click on the user* then login items->double click on this link - it works correctly and opens user home folder.

Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 09.11.30.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 09.11.45.png

However, if I use the shortcut listed in finder or on the desktop, the path appears to be 'smb://whs4034-uss-03/student_home$/' - somewhere this user can't look and I get an error message.

Somebody please help

Thank Post
    I might be wrong wight his but I'm I think thats just the way it is. We have a magic triangle set up and when we map the network home folder it populates to the folder above where the actual user folder lives. I think its an OS X thing as after a lot of troubleshooting we realised users need to have read access to the above folder, where as on windows we could just give them full control over the home folder with no access to the above areas.

Are you using force local home directory or are you using network accounts?

Thank Post
    Thanks for reply.

Yes that's exactly what mine is doing- trying to populate the folder above. So on your setup are students required to select their username after pressing documents? I'm using network accounts (I think)

Thank Post
    Anybody??

Thank Post
    It's permissions - users will need (I think) "Traverse folder" custom permissions on the folders above... then OSX will happily map it.

I'll double check - I've got it documented somewhere!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Magic Triangle Home folder woes

Quote Originally Posted by ajstan View Post
    Hi,

I've been setting up a magic triangle setup for our 16 iMacs (10.8) and amazingly it all seems to have gone quite well. However, I seem to have got stuck correctly mapping A/D users' home drives.
    :
    Just one question. Why are you using a Magic Triangle and WGM when your clients are running 10.8? Doing this is unsupported and prone to errors as managed preferences and WGM are being deprecated. Is there a specific reason why you are sticking with this method of management?
    Last edited by seawolf; 5th March 2014 at 11:09 AM.

7. Thanks to seawolf from:

ste1988 (5th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Using Profiles and profile manager will give you far greater control over home drive mapping, also i find pushing settings out seems to work much quicker and easier than WGM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    It's permissions - users will need (I think) "Traverse folder" custom permissions on the folders above... then OSX will happily map it.

I'll double check - I've got it documented somewhere!
    Thanks, I tried this but as suspected the user had to then trawl through all user accounts in the folder to find their own. There must be a better way!

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Just one question. Why are you using a Magic Triangle and WGM when your clients are running 10.8? Doing this is unsupported and prone to errors as managed preferences and WGM are being deprecated. Is there a specific reason why you are sticking with this method of management?
    I've previously used 10.7 and assumed that as WGM was available to 10.8 that it would work ok. How else would you apply policies and prevent students from accessing certain applications?

Quote Originally Posted by ste1988 View Post
    Using Profiles and profile manager will give you far greater control over home drive mapping, also i find pushing settings out seems to work much quicker and easier than WGM.
    Really? How does this work?

Thanks everyone

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I know Apple is trying to push people down the profile manager route, but at present there is still some support for Workgroup manager? Why else would they bring out a new version of the program for 10.8 and 10.9? Having said that we do have issues with 10.9 and applying preferences but I'm more inclined to think this is down to our dreadful .local domain.

Thank Post
    I've heard a lot of bad things about WGM and 10.9 hence why I stayed with 10.8. I would think it's more likely to be evil Mavericks screwing that up

It all seems to be working ok other than the documents though - I just want users to be mapped their home folder so they can seamlessly save work on a windows computer, then continue it on the macs.

Thank Post
    Thanks, I tried this but as suspected the user had to then trawl through all user accounts in the folder to find their own. There must be a better way!

I got the permissions wrong - they actually need "List Folder / Read Data" permissions.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jthornton1605 View Post
    I know Apple is trying to push people down the profile manager route, but at present there is still some support for Workgroup manager? Why else would they bring out a new version of the program for 10.8 and 10.9? Having said that we do have issues with 10.9 and applying preferences but I'm more inclined to think this is down to our dreadful .local domain.
    I really don't know why they bothered with WGM in 10.9. Let's just say that Managed Preferences no longer work "as expected" it's Russian roulette using them in 10.9.

It would be best if you got rid of the .local domain for sure. It can be done. I have done a domain rename on a Windows network and it took only a week to get it all working fantastic. You just have to plan it well and then execute it to plan.

Thank Post
    I got the permissions wrong - they actually need "List Folder / Read Data" permissions.
    Just tried this. Again the user has to manually select their homefolder.

Why on earth isn't it using the correct path!!!??

Thank Post
    In WGM Ive added 'network home share point' and chosen to authenticate with that users credentials.
    Skim read and missed this - why not use the advanced binding options to connect the user's AD home directory? See here: http://information-technology.web.ce...s/screen09.jpg

Thank Post
    Skim read and missed this - why not use the advanced binding options to connect the user's AD home directory? See here: http://information-technology.web.ce...s/screen09.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 11.36.37.png

I have. Is there anything else I need to do after?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast