+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Question about iPads and Meraki MDM in Technical; I agree ... if you are not using the ipads in a 1:1 environment, and sharing the same apple id. ...

Thank Post
    I agree ... if you are not using the ipads in a 1:1 environment, and sharing the same apple id. Then yes it asks for the central (shared) apple id password every time you push out an app using Meraki.
    Ive also spoken to Apple (on the phone) and meraki and both said that it is a limitation in the Apple terms and conditions.
    They suggested submitting feedback on their website. -_-

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by quietriot1983 View Post
    Am I right in thinking (after messing with this for a while) that you can't push a profile to an iDevice unless it is 'supervised' and the only way to get it 'supervised' is to use the Apple Configurator, which is only available on OSX?

You can push a profile to any device that has enrolled into the MDM however in education without supervision app licences that are pushed to the device are now owned by the Apple I.D. used to install the app

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    I have had Apple, AT Computer's, Stormfront all helping me at some point! It's fine if you're in a 1:1 environment MDM works fine but not when you're sharing with one Apple ID! I have an email from Apple US confirming this is not available to do which has been uploaded to edugeek! Before you start dictating to me what I should do, first find out what I've been doing before then you can say! In regards to your UK comment I have had over 8 technicians on the phone to me at once and had 2 different technicians actually visit our school to see what is going on so that is not true either.

They're now managed through Apple Configurator, it still angers me how some people on here criticise my technical knowledge towards iPads and Apple kit when I know more than enough it's my management that tell me to implement it in an impossible way which seems simple to do but Apple won't allow it, Apple need to give more freedom to consumers using the devices and create an easy to use management system which dosen't have problems, not because I should have seeked help.
    All I have to say to this response is....

Apple support would not send anyone out who is not following the correct guidelines e.g. One shared Apple I.D. for all of your devices (I think you have 100 of them?), I'm sure the techs you have had on site do not work for Apple, otherwise their first response would have been...

Why are you not using 1 x Apple I.D. per iPad?

Workarounds that are unsupported to get around one Apple I.D. per iPad always fall over, despite the total misinformation on best practice to deploy iPads that I see on here.

One Apple I.D. per device does NOT imply 1:1.

I'm sure you are familiar with creating email addresses for all of your students so why is this so difficult? I'm sure by the time you have spent ranting on here about iPads you could have created all the I.D.'s by now.

I'll leave you to your head scratching....

Thank Post
    I'm in a primary school so no children have email addresses. They where from Apple Ireland as we where having huge issues and we have been selected one of the schools to do the Apple sharing programme where different schools from different countries come to visit! It would look very bad if one of the schools didn't work hence all the help for us.

What a mess it would be to make 1 apple ID per device! Our email server would be chock a block full of rubbish!

Oh and it was Apple who advised me to use 1 AppleID and had to write a formal apology for misleading me after 4 months!

We did do the seperate apple ID with 20 iPads and they still where asking for password authentication on random intervals. We also had the issue where an app would download on one iPad and on another it would be greyed out. This even left apple scratching their heads! They then advised me to look into getting out own home broadband for the school unblocked with no proxy to stop experiencing problems which is a no go!

They don't think of iPads in a educational setting and they have admitted all this to me "the educational sector surprised us we weren't prepared" the other said they don't think Apple themselves know all the different factors in how schools WOULD LIKE to run them!
    Last edited by abillybob; 3rd March 2014 at 09:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Oh and it was Apple who advised me to use 1 AppleID and had to write a formal apology for misleading me after 4 months!

They don't think of iPads in a educational setting and they have admitted all this to me "the educational sector surprised us we weren't prepared" the other said they don't think Apple themselves know all the different factors in how schools WOULD LIKE to run them!
    Hi guys, newb here. I must confirm alexbillbridgnorth's Apple experience with a "me too!" Our region's Apple Education engineer similarly recommended that we use only a handful of Apple ID's at most, suggesting no more than one or two per building, on multiple occasions. Not that having a 1:1 ratio for Apple ID's and Apple devices would make a difference, as I believe for Silent Install you must also not be using any of the most useful profile restrictions. I'm in a situation now where I have about 180 iPads deployed and enrolled into AirWatch for MDM, and I have no real convenient way to manage them. I have spoken to AirWatch on numerous occasions trying to get to the bottom of this (outsourced tech support makes this agonizing) and was finally given this related info by our account rep:

With the new Managed Distribution method (token VPP) of deploying Apps to iOS Devices, there are a couple of key elements to remember:

- This is for personal use only. In other words, the iOS device is assigned to be used by one person only, and the user must have a personal Apple ID.

- This Managed Distribution method is not used for iOS devices that are Shared, or used by more than one person. Apple Configurator and VPP codes is still the only supported method of distributing Apps and retaining/keeping VPP codes in a district.

- Only Supervised devices, for use by one person and or Personal Apple ID, can take advantage of a Silent install of Managed Distribution Apps

- Personal users that bring their own device (BYOD) and use their personal Apple ID, can use the Managed Distribution, as long as they opt-in to the districts Managed Distribution program invitation and MDM. BYOD devices are not Supervised, thus the App installation is not silent.

- Invitations sent to enroll a personal use device in the districts MDM Managed Distribution, can happen via email, or use the Apple Push Notification Service (APNS) directly to the enrolled iOS device. The APSN method only works in iOS 7.0.3 or higher

As for customers using the new Managed Distribution VPP system, they are VERY slowly moving towards implementing this, as it does take some time to “kick the tires” on a new program. Most customers are looking to roll this out for their Summer 2014 refresh. Also, a lot of customers will not be able to use the new Managed Distribution system, if they have Shared iPads. I cannot stress enough that districts that have iPads that are Shared, or used by more than one person, must not have or use an Apple ID on the device, or an Apple ID that is created by the district. Managed Distribution is designed for personal Apple IDs ONLY.

The best things to tell your customers, if they have questions about the new programs, is to contact their Apple Education team directly.
    That sort of leaves us in the lurch here... I'm going to have to choose between using all my time visiting each of our iPad carts in the district to install the requested apps (even though they're pushed via MDM), or removing so many of the restrictions that I might as well not be managing them at all.

Thank Post
    if you're sharing apple id's (cart scenario) couldn't you just turn on iCloud on the devices, then you just enter the creds on one iPad and it pushes to the rest?

Thank Post
    I can't remember if I've tried that, actually, but wouldn't that lead to a situation where the apps are not installed as "managed" apps since they were not pushed down through AirWatch, thereby preventing me from further managing those apps remotely?

Thank Post
    I think you could still push it from your mdm. You would have to enter your creds once though...

Thank Post
    I'm putting together a small set to experiment with this now. I'll try pushing some apps down first thing Monday and see if it's an acceptable workaround for us.

Thank Post
    it will always ask for the pass word with meraki, apple server is the only one that doesn't ask.

Thank Post
    Bummer, prepped a group of 3 iPads on Friday and experimented with them today. Pushed apps down through my MDM, but not silently, as it asked for the password... I expected that, but strangely I could hit "cancel" and the apps still seemed to install successfully on two of them (maybe because they've been on those iPads in the past before I wiped them?). The third iPad acted more normally, with the app failing to install after I hit "cancel".

I also tried pushing a different app that I know had not been used on any iPad associated with the Apple ID I'm using for the test, in case this was skewing my results... This time I was prompted for a password on all 3 iPads, and hitting "cancel" prevented the installation on all 3. So I guess I don't even know what to make of the seemingly random results I get whenever I try to set up a bunch of iPads all the same.

Thank Post
    Any change with iOS7.1 then ?

Thank Post
    I have been trying all day to get 7.1 but unfortunately i think the software deployment servers are abit overloaded. I have done some quick googling and they arent boasting any MDM improvements with 7.1 maybe this will be a later update

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12