+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, mac book pro and mac server os x maverick in Technical; Purchased new mac server. Downloaded (paid for) Server Manager App. Ran Profile manager setup self-signed certificates. On the client (macbook ...

Thank Post

mac book pro and mac server os x maverick

Purchased new mac server. Downloaded (paid for) Server Manager App. Ran Profile manager setup self-signed certificates. On the client (macbook pro), I browse to https://10.100.0.24/mydevices and I see Devices and Profiles. I click the profile tab, I see "settings for Everyone" and Trust "Profile for ENCSD-MAC". On the trust profile, I click show contents, icon "certificate" displays. I click install trust profile ( show profile display 2 certificates, description: Root Certificate for ENCSD-MAC, Certificate: ENCSD-MAC Open Directory Certification Au....etc. Under system Preferences I click Profile and I see two certificates installed. Under devices, I click enroll , I click profile and I see Remote Management ENCSD-MAC Verified, description: Allows the server to manage your device, signed: encsdmacserver.local Code Signing Certificate, date, settings: SCEP Enrollment Request encsd.macserver.local, Mobile Device Managerment and 2 certificates. I click continue and here is where the problem begins. It says installing but just sits there and never completes. Does anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot this issue.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    First of all, you have a .local domain. That is going to cause all manner of issues with a Mac server and clients to a slightly lesser extent. If there is any way possible that you can NOT use a .local domain, you should. I would even go so far as to plan a domain rename if you have any intentions of using lots of Macs on your network.

That point aside, there is a great tutorial on the configuration of Profile Manager at krypted.com - Using Profile Manager 3 In Mavericks Server | Krypted

Go through this tutorial step-by-step and confirm that you have done everything correctly. There is no point in trying to troubleshoot this problem otherwise.

3. Thanks to seawolf from:

speckytecky (27th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks
    Followed these exact steps. How can I reset and start over?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by superhl View Post
    Thanks
    Followed these exact steps. How can I reset and start over?
    Wipe the Mac server and re-install the OS and Server app.

Thank Post
    Hi

There's no need to wipe the server and reinstall the OS as OS X Server is simply an app and not an operating system.

To start over, place the Server App in the trash and delete the following items:

/Library/Server
    /Library/Preferences/com.apple.serverd.plist
    /Library/Preferences/com.apple.servermgrd.plist
    /Library/Preferences/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.apple.serverd
    /var/db/.ServerSetupDone

/var is a hidden folder.

Reboot and on successful login move the Server App back to the Applications folder. Launch it and start again.

As seawolf has said avoid .local as the tld for your domain. You should not be using it anyway as it now how its own RFC:

.local - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you can't avoid it because your Windows domain is built using it you will have random and intermittent problems.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

7. 2 Thanks to AntonioRocco:

mac_shinobi (25th February 2014), speckytecky (27th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post
    Hi

There's no need to wipe the server and reinstall the OS as OS X Server is simply an app and not an operating system.

To start over, place the Server App in the trash and delete the following items:

/Library/Server
    /var/db/.ServerSetupDone

/var is a hidden folder.

Reboot and on successful login move the Server App back to the Applications folder. Launch it and start again.

As seawolf has said avoid .local as the tld for your domain. You should not be using it anyway as it now how its own RFC:

If you can't avoid it because your Windows domain is built using it you will have random and intermittent problems.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Just to confirm - how do you make a hidden directory not hidden / or failing that navigate to said directory so as to remove relevant items out of said directory ( in this case the /var ) directory

Thank Post
    Hidden directories are invisible for a reason and I would not advise making them permanently visible. You don't want just anyone fiddling with the underpinnings of the OS do you?

To access hidden directories in OS X click on the Go Menu and select Go to Folder. At the prompt key in /var. If you want to start from the hidden parent folder it would be /private. It's advisable to use Terminal when accessing hidden folders as it preserves the special permissions required by most of the files/folders you see. Using Terminal you'd issue:

cd /var/db

Followed by a simple list command:

ls -la

To delete something using Terminal either navigate to that directory using cd or provide the full path. For .ServerSetupDone it would be:

rm -Rv /var/db/.ServerSetupDone

To find out which directory you're in use the pwd (print working directory) command:

pwd

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Last edited by AntonioRocco; 25th February 2014 at 02:15 PM.

10. Thanks to AntonioRocco from:

speckytecky (27th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks a bunch for the detailed help. I am new to MACs....

I have a windows domain and an example of one of my servers is encsd3.encsd.net. Trying to determine how to incorporate the MAC from .local domain to a windows domain since.
    Last edited by superhl; 25th February 2014 at 09:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post
    Hi

/Library/Server
    /var/db/.ServerSetupDone

/var is a hidden folder.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

For Mac users who appear to be novices (apologies to SuperHI if I guessed wrong about that) I've found the maximum of an hour to reinstall the OS and start over is the better option than walking them through everything that needs to be deleted, host name rename, etc. A stray rm -r and it's all over anyway. For someone with more experience, your advice is spot on.

Thank Post
    You are correct. I am new to the MAC. I am a OK either way but first I need resolve the domain or sub domain issue. Will give Antonio suggestion a try tomorrow. I always learn better doing it the hard way. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!!

Thank Post
    Antonio,
    Not seeing PriviledgeHelperTools folder /Library/Preferences/PriviledgeHelperTools/com.apple.serverd. I can access /var/db/ folder but .ServerSetupDone file does not exist.
    Last edited by superhl; 26th February 2014 at 10:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Tried the steps above. I did change from local to domain. Re-installed server app. When I click websites, I see green but "view server website" get error cannot connect to server. Can someone send me the steps to complete a factory restore. Thanks

Thank Post
    Some of the folders or files won't exist.

Any file/folder on any UNIX sub-system that begins with a full stop will be invisible in the finder which is why you use Terminal. Removing the .ServerSetupDone file will cause the Server App (once you launch it) to begin the configuration again. If you did not see this after removing the files I mentioned then you never reset the Server App completely.

To remove the .ServerSetupDone file launch Terminal and use this command:

sudo rm -Rv /var/db/.ServerSetupDone

When prompted supply the admin account's password which you won't see being typed. My advice now is to follow the advice given above and try again unless you want to follow seawolf's which is just as good as any. My advice was given just in case you had important data you did not want to go through the hassle of backing up and restoring from.

A brief word about .local domains and multicast DNS.

All macs regardless of whether it's server or client 'know themselves' by their Bonjour name. As an example this could be MacMini.local or MacMiniServer.local. Bonjour names can be pinged but won't ever resolve as their won't necessarily be a DNS server that will resolve those names to IP addresses. They can also know themselves with fully qualified domain names or hostnames. A hostname is not the same as .local hostname. Hostnames are A records with (ideally) an associated rDNS record. As an example this could MacMini.myschool.net or MacMiniServer.myschool.net. Can you understand the difference? Finally there is also the Computer name itself which - using the same example as before - could be MacMini or MacMiniServer.

On Macs themselves it's practically impossible to remove their Bonjour names. Remember Bonjour uses .local and .local in Bonjour terms is not really a 'Mac Domain'. The reason why the advice is given not to use .local as the basis for a Windows domain when contemplating AppleMac integration is because one of the foundations for successful integration is the quality of the Windows DNS Service. If the DNS Service is based around .local there can be confusion with Bonjour - which the Macs are using regardless of anything else - that can result in poor or non-existent login performance as well as other weird and wonderful behaviour.

AntonioRocco (ACN)
    Last edited by AntonioRocco; 27th February 2014 at 08:13 PM.

17. Thanks to AntonioRocco from:

mac_shinobi (27th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by superhl View Post
    Tried the steps above. I did change from local to domain. Re-installed server app. When I click websites, I see green but "view server website" get error cannot connect to server. Can someone send me the steps to complete a factory restore. Thanks
    You can reset the Mac server by using the OSX Recovery Partition (Apple - OS X Recovery restores your Mac with a few clicks.).

1. Hold Cmd+R while booting and the system will boot into the recovery partition.

2. Choose the Disk Utility option and then reformat the drive (this won't remove the Recovery Partition).

iClarified - Mac OS X - Format a Hard Drive Using Mac OS X Disk Utility

3. Choose the "Mac OSX Extended (Journaled)", which is HFS+ format, name the drive 'Macintosh HD' and click erase.

4. Close disk utility and run Reinstall OS X

Thank Post
    I erased the hard drive, re-installed Maverick. Followed the steps from Using Profile Manager 3 In Mavericks Server | Krypted, click open profile manager, please login, username: diradmin, I enter password and get: "Sorry, something went wrong, we have been notified about this issue and will respond shortly". Please read profilemanager log to find out what went wrong. mac.png

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast