+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Installing education app purchase for iPad?! in Technical; OK, I give up... I'm new to iPads and picking up the job of installing educational apps for the school's ...
    BJG
    Thank Post

Installing education app purchase for iPad?!

OK, I give up...

I'm new to iPads and picking up the job of installing educational apps for the school's limited collection of them, the person previously responsible having left.

I've discovered that he set up an account associated with the school's credit card, and I was able to use this to log into the Volume Purchase Program for Education and buy an app using the "redeemable code" method.

I can't figure out how to reedem/install it however. When I sign into the UK App Store it says:

"This apple id is associated with the volume purchase program for education"

...and drags me to the relevant website, but this only lists Music/Films/Books. I can't find the app. Likewise if I enter the URL I've been sent which is supposed to allow me to redeem the code. I'm sure this is stupidly simple but...getting frustrated here...don't tell me I have to set up an alternative personal account with my own credit card.

Thank Post
    Hi BJG,

You need a Mac and said Mac needs to have Apple Configurator installed.

In Apple Configurator you import the app you want to install; you need to download the app through iTunes first. Once it's imported into Apple Configurator; if it's a paid app you'll need to import the CSV file with the redeemable codes in. You can download that from the Apple Volume License site. If it's a free app, then it won't prompt you for any codes.

You need two accounts. One to redeem the codes against and another one that you use ONLY to purchase from the Volume Licensing site (sounds like that account is the one you're getting the "This apple id is associated with the volume purchase program for education" message on). I simply have a couple of alias's for this purpose.

When you import a paid app, you'll need to use a different Apple ID to redeem the codes against. I recommend not using your personal one. If there was a chap already doing this, you should already have an account for this purpose.

Certainly the above method is the one I use to manage our iPad's.

Let me know if you need more detail or need me to clarify
    Last edited by Lewys; 23rd January 2014 at 02:32 PM.

3. Thanks to Lewys from:

BJG (23rd January 2014)

BJG
    Thank Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I don't understand why Apple force you to use two separate accounts. So...would you recommend I create another Apple account using the same school credit card...?

Thank Post
    If you read the dialogue box below, you redeem the codes against one Apple ID that is different from the Apple ID used in the volume license store.

But I'd have thought the previous incumbent would have already set-up both accounts?
    If not, then yes, you require two accounts; looks like you've got the volume purchase one already.

You definitely need two accounts if you're buying volume licenses. There is another way to configure the iPad's, it's not ideal and is pretty well much illegal really. Whereby you setup one iPad the way you want, you then back it up to a computer and restore that backup to all the iPad's you want to configure. This means, you purchase an app only once, but use it across as many iPad's as you like. A lot of schools in the UK used this method before volume licensing made it to our shores.

Thank Post
    You don't need a mac and apple Configurator anymore. You can do it via a windows PC using meraki systems manage for free: https://account.meraki.com/login/new_account

It will not allow you to assign VPP codes to any iOS device and revoke if the person leaves the company.

All you need is all your iOS devices running 7.0 iOS and an Apple ID for each iOS device.

Simples!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread