+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Mac Dock not displaying for one user in Technical; More annoyances with Macbooks. I wonder if someone can help I have 2 MacBook's in the same room both running ...

Thank Post

Mac Dock not displaying for one user

More annoyances with Macbooks. I wonder if someone can help

I have 2 MacBook's in the same room both running the same image both 10.8.5. Both are connected to Active Directory and Open Directory I have been asked to configure the dock so that the users have a few default apps but can then add or remove items I did this by doing Open Directory>computer group>Dock>manage>set to once. It seems to be OK for one user but the other user just gets chrome and finder when ever he logs in. I have done refresh preference, deleted the library folder from his windows my docs which fixes lots of issues for us usually. but I cant seem to get the dock to appear correctly for one this one user - any ideas what I can try?

thanks

Thank Post
    Hi

Is the affected user part of the AD Group nested in the OD group you're applying the policy too? If not add the user to the AD Group. If it's still not working try adding the user account to the OD group instead or as well.

Do you see this behaviour regardless of which mac (assuming you have more than the two you've mentioned) the user logs onto and if it's a wired or wireless connection?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

Thank Post
    In the past I have always been told to make any changes to the computer group in OD.
    I haven't had any training on OD so I just go along with that.

could try making a new group and making the changes to this one specific user

The issue occurs for this user on any mac he logs into so I was thinking it was some kind of corrupt settings in his Mac Profile but that was just a thought

Thank Post
    Hi

Applying policies to an OD Computer Group means the computer itself is managed for all users be they local or over the network. The fact the problem follows only this one user regardless of which mac he logs onto makes me doubt you're doing this at computer group level? Are you sure you're making the change to the right group?

Using WorkGroup Manager to manage dock policy via computer groups is not the way I would recommend managing Active Directory users and/or groups and lack of training can be easily remedied.

HTH?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

5. Thanks to AntonioRocco from:

bluehobbit (15th January 2014)

Thank Post
    its more than possible im not applying it in the correct place

ill create some tests OU in OD and see if I can get anything going. Thanks for your time

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread