+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Mavericks Server - Stupid update behaviour in Technical; I've just noticed this with the update to Mavericks Server (3.0.1) which got automatically pushed out a couple of weeks ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Mavericks Server - Stupid update behaviour

I've just noticed this with the update to Mavericks Server (3.0.1) which got automatically pushed out a couple of weeks ago.

I needed to get onto the Profile Manager so I opened my browser and browsed to the URL. It said that the Profile Manager was unavailable. Scratching my head and cursing a bit (it often happens when I'm trying to manage my Macs), I logged onto our Xserve and looked at what was going on. When I installed Mavericks on our Xserve, I turned on automatic updates for Apps and the OS. I mean, why wouldn't you? It had updated the OS X Server app in the background. However, when you update the Server app, it wants you to run it so it can run some configuration updates. Until you do so, it disables its services.

So once again, Apple demonstrate either their complete ignorance or complete contempt of how IT professionals work. When an app updates itself, surely part of that update process should be the updating of its configuration settings as well as the update of the application itself? Even more so when Apple don't follow a set schedule for updates. For now, I've disabled the automatic updating of apps on our Xserve so this doesn't happen again and I suggest that anyone else who uses Mavericks Server does the same.

2. Thanks to Norphy from:

3s-gtech (29th November 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread