+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Mac Home Drive Setup in Technical; Originally Posted by speckytecky Just noticed this thread. I too am having issues since Apple decided to 'upgrade' . Being ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Just noticed this thread. I too am having issues since Apple decided to 'upgrade' . Being a distinct amateur when it comes to Apple I was hugely relieved a couple of years ago to find @edumac on this forum and we had him in for a morning and he ironed out all our Mac / AD integration wobbles. Unfortunately he no longer seems to be about. As NM in my school I'd happily pay a Mac expert for a mornings work to come in and make our Apples sit happily in the AD basket again as currently I'm wasting a heap of time trying to get it to happen.
    You haven't stated what issues you are having? How is your site configured with the existing Mac / AD integration and what versions of OSX Server, client and Windows Server are you using? Also, do you have a .local AD domain?

You say you are having issues since Apple decided to "upgrade", but are the issues you're having the result of upgrading OSX Server or your clients (or both). There were major differences in the way we had to integrate and manage our Macs when we made the jump from 10.6.8 on our server and client to to 10.8, including abandoning WGM and Managed Preferences. It's something that required a lot of testing and planning. Hopefully you haven't just upgraded your server from 10.6 to 10.8 or 10.9?

Thank Post
    Sorry I ve been very ill for the last week I ll have another try with your advise tomorrow

Thank Post
    I would firstly make sure that the users can access the services on the OS X Server. If the mac server is bound to the AD then where the users/groups in AD are found in the server.app, select them and then edit the service access for this group.

But before doing any of that, make sure that the mac server is using the AD kerberos realm. If it is then create a test share on the mac server (make sure that it is shared out using SMB) and then set the permissions for owner, group and everyone to read/write. Make sure that the Windows server can actually mount this share by using the start > Run \\ip-of-mac-server\share-name. If everything is working as expected and that you can create folders on the share. Now once this is done, go to the home folder and enter the details. Make sure that you enter the fqdn and share name exactly as it is. It IS case-sensitive. If you enter the details all lower case and the share name is upper and lower you will not be able to log in as the user.

Note: the above permissions are for testing only to make sure that you can actually create a home dir folder on the OS X Server. Once you are happy then continue to make the changes until they are locked down to your satisfaction.

Thank Post
    I had a high level meeting stating Windows share will be for the best and to consolidate our Mac/ Windows domain and they agreed so thanks guys for the help

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12