+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, shared apple id for Education in Technical; Hey all.... im an IT administrator in a school and need manage about 50 iPads. The main problem is that ...

Thank Post

shared apple id for Education

Hey all....

im an IT administrator in a school and need manage about 50 iPads. The main problem is that the iPads are for shared use and thereby not one user pr. iPad.

I know there is an limit for apple id that you can't register more then 10 devices pr. id.

Is there any way to register an apple id for the school that can handle all of thees shared iPads?

altso I'm would like to use VPP, but I'm from denmark and i can't those denmark when I'm registering for VPP, any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ukbrc View Post
    I know there is an limit for apple id that you can't register more then 10 devices pr. id.
    I have 20 iPads on the same ID. I think the limit is considerably higher.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I have 20 iPads on the same ID. I think the limit is considerably higher.
    okey not by apples own support ... how have you handle the apple ids? just one for all of them?

Thank Post
    I have 49 iPads on the same ID... We have one Apple ID as I choose the right deployment option for us. (You can go for other options and have an AppleID per student)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    I have 49 iPads on the same ID... We have one Apple ID as I choose the right deployment option for us. (You can go for other options and have an AppleID per student)
    okey sound like the way to go for me. What are you using to deployment and config for them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I tend to use one Apple ID per 'set' of iPads, so all the ones in a single trolley are on the same ID. Currently using Meraki MDM to configure them, wich is free, but has its limits.

Thank Post
    Apple won't stop you from putting more than 10 devices on an Apple ID, but things will almost certainly get wacky when you try to deploy paid apps or iBooks. We discovered this the hard way. You can try this tool Batch Apple ID Creator | Enterprise iOS which used to work, but it seems there is now some behavior in the iTunes store that causes it not to work and I think the developer is about to wash his hands of the project.

You will also need to talk to your Apple edu rep and get them to whitelist your IP before creating big batches of Apple ID's. Otherwise they will think you're phishing and block ID creation from your IP. This is true even if you do it by hand, which you probably will.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. We're doing a shared iPad deployment too and Apple makes this painful. We have Casper too, but that doesn't help this situation.

Thank Post
    I've got 200 iPads using the same apple ID. I use a product called meraki to deploy down free apps. My school district doesn't do paid apps at the moment. Paid apps are a management nightmare. Meraki makes it easy to manage the asset and what free apps it gets.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by k0stam View Post
    I've got 200 iPads using the same apple ID. I use a product called meraki to deploy down free apps. My school district doesn't do paid apps at the moment. Paid apps are a management nightmare. Meraki makes it easy to manage the asset and what free apps it gets.
    Yes, multiple devices on an ID does work if you're not dealing with license codes. Make sure your district understands the limitations of this setup. If they decide to deploy iBooks in that scenario you will have an ugly mess!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by misterfriendly View Post
    Yes, multiple devices on an ID does work if you're not dealing with license codes. Make sure your district understands the limitations of this setup. If they decide to deploy iBooks in that scenario you will have an ugly mess!
    well i can see that i near feature they wold like to get some paid apps, is there any way around this? is it one device-one apple id?
    But i know we can by and install apps by hand on the devices or use som kind of gift card, but that would require one device-one apple id right?

ATM VPP is not avalible in Denmark damm!

Thank Post
    like to hear if some one has another solution ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ukbrc View Post
    like to hear if some one has another solution ?
    me too! creating ID's by hand is a drag.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread