+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, can't control non-Mac clients after ARD 3.7 upgrade in Technical; I've seen a bunch of reports of ARD breaking after the latest 3.7 update. These problems are all about Mac ...

Thank Post

can't control non-Mac clients after ARD 3.7 upgrade

I've seen a bunch of reports of ARD breaking after the latest 3.7 update. These problems are all about Mac ARD clients and the fix involves disabling the firewall on the target machine.

Well, I'm not having that problem. I just installed ARD 3.7 and I can control a client Mac just fine.

What I can't do is control a Windows or Ubuntu client from ARD 3.7. It lets me observe but not control. Needless to say, this worked fine as recently as yesterday.

I can still control non-Mac clients using built-in VNC, but that's a pain. I'd rather have ARD working again!

I tried deleting and re-creating one of the affected clients from my ARD list, but that didn't make a difference. Setting the 'encrypt passwords and keystrokes only' pref didn't help either.

BTW, I'm on 10.8.5; Mac clients are a mix of 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8. Nobody's running 10.9 yet.

Luke Jaeger | Technology Coordinator
    Pioneer Valley Performing Arts Charter Public School
    PVPA Charter Public School - About PVPA

Thank Post
    Had same issue here, except setting 'encrypt passwords and keystrokes only' DID fix it for me - but only after changing my choice of VNC Server software for windows to TightVNC. With RealVNC there was no chance. Possibly the same strategy may work for Linux... (altho not with tightvnc as that creates it's own desktop session rather than exposing an existing one - depends what you're after).

Thank Post
    thanks Marci,

I am already running TightVNC on all my Windows clients. On Ubuntu Desktop clients I'm using the built-in remote desktop package vino. Up until now vino has always worked fine with the default settings.

I just want to be able to view & control the existing GUI session on client desktops -- it saves me a lot running up & down stairs. But apparently ARD thinks I don't get enough exercise.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread