+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, OS X Mavericks Server / Workgroup Manager in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Angry OS X Mavericks Server / Workgroup Manager

We have a server running OS X Mavericks. The server is running the lastest version of OS X Server (£13.99 later) along with WorkGroup Manager 10.9 (421).

The server works great as it stands now as all the client machines that connect to the server are all running Mountain Lion (10.8).

UNTIL...We update a client to Mavericks..Then it all goes wrong.

Once the client is running Mavericks, their logins go mental and don't work. We use Active Directory so their logins work over the mac and windows server. As I said this all works great until we update a client to Mavericks.

Can anyone please help? What do I need to change on my servers for this to work?!

Thanks

Luke

Thank Post
    Sort of off topic: I was just about to upgrade our macs, im going to hangfire now!

Thank Post
    Not a bad idea but after a bit of testing, I think the macs require a fresh install not a upgrade for things to work. Maybe grab one mac and test it as I've done.

I will post back when I've set one up with a fresh install

Thank Post
    We have had issue with upgrades before and fresh install solved the issues , we also renamed them differently so server saw them as new machines too.

Thank Post
    Damn! Did a fresh install and still nothing It sets the message on the login screen but thats it. Any more idea anyone? I'm begging you! ha!

rad
    Thank Post
    I wont hit the upgrade button either, sorry that's not helping I know.

Thank Post
    Luke, try joining and posting to this e-mail list. It's been a wealth of knowledge for me.

Archives of MACENTERPRISE@LISTS.PSU.EDU

Thank Post
    Cheers Mate, just sent an email over

UPDATE. Says I'm not allowed to email the address :/
    Last edited by LukeJQuinn; 28th October 2013 at 06:23 PM.

Thank Post
    UPDATE:

After doing a fresh install on the client mac to mavericks, still no user policies are set.
    Other machines running Mountain Lion work fine so I can only guess that there is a bug in which the way it gets settings from the server.

The Server is running Mavericks, OS X Server 3.0 and Workgroup Manager 10.9.

Just about to Re-image and update the mac while logged onto the network to see if that makes a difference.
    Mavericks works fine in a home/non networked situation. I use it at home and around work on macs that aren't networked to the mac server.
    So I'd say you'll be fine upgrading if you're not using it while on a network

I will post my results some time today, meanwhile if anyone has any other ideas or has the same issue please post.

Thanks
    Last edited by LukeJQuinn; 29th October 2013 at 11:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Just a hint, Workgroup Manager is "unofficially" supported, they no longer "support" this method of client management, you are supposed to in the "apple world" use Profile Manager to manage macs.

Thank Post
    This is terrible! Workgroup manager worked fine, and was really easy to set up. Profile Manager seems very flakey and broken!

I've just spent the whole day playing with it, and have now given up. Machines are enrolled, but the server seems very reluctant to actually push the settings out. I've tried both computer settings, and user settings. Managed to get a machine to pick up computer settings once, but then it ignored any changes I made, just not pushing them out. User settings (targetted at an AD group) don't seem to push out at all.

Anyone had any luck with getting profile manager to work reliably? Looks like we are going to have to stick with Mountain Lion for now.

Don't understand why Apple updated Workgroup Manager if they weren't planning to make it actually work!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell1981 View Post
    This is terrible! Workgroup manager worked fine, and was really easy to set up. Profile Manager seems very flakey and broken!

I've just spent the whole day playing with it, and have now given up. Machines are enrolled, but the server seems very reluctant to actually push the settings out. I've tried both computer settings, and user settings. Managed to get a machine to pick up computer settings once, but then it ignored any changes I made, just not pushing them out. User settings (targetted at an AD group) don't seem to push out at all.

Anyone had any luck with getting profile manager to work reliably? Looks like we are going to have to stick with Mountain Lion for now.

Don't understand why Apple updated Workgroup Manager if they weren't planning to make it actually work!
    Our profile manager for our iOS devices works, but aint tried Mac clients yet. I think we are going to upgrade our server here, but not our clients

Thank Post
    Profile Manager is less functional and based more on iPads/iPhones than Macs. Spent all day using it and still don't match WM.

I have found a work around to get WM to pick up the right policies - by adding every user manually (takes the piss so depends how badly you want to use Mavericks)

So that's all folks....unless Apple sees this as a bug which is what I'm hoping. We are screwed and left with Profile Manager which ain't great. Cheers Apple

Thank Post
    While it was updated for use on 10.9, Workgroup Manager uses managed client or MCX to push out computer or user level preferences. Since 10.8 MCX has been deprecated i.e. being disassembled and no longer updated as mdm's such as Profile Manager are more flexible for sysadmins since the settings are "pushed" to the client rather than the client pulling them from the server (which involves logout/login, or restarts to refresh). FYI computer level policies using MCX still work. User / Group level settings are broken because of the deprecation I mentioned above. So in short WGM was updated simply so that a 10.9 client could manage 10.8 or 10.7 servers. User / Group management should be done in Server.app, WGM has a tendency to corrupt the kerberos database.

It's either you start working with Profile Manager or another mdm or you use foss tools such as Munki, mcxtoprofile, Puppet, etc.. for osx client management.

We have been coming down on staff hard if they upgrade to 10.9. I've blocked the upgrade through the app store so the link they click goes nowhere.
    Last edited by stevehp; 31st October 2013 at 01:27 AM.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    We're managing OSX clients via SCCM 2012 - using Profile Manager to generate preferences and SCCM to deliver/enforce them and this works well. We've upgraded about 70% of our mac fleet to mavericks so far and not had any issues with this setup. Only useful if you're already using the right version of SCCM to manage your PC fleet, I know, but if you are then its worth a thought...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast