+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, OS X Mavericks Server / Workgroup Manager in Technical; Yeah guys, seems you're right. To use govern Mavericks you have to use Profile Manager not Workgroup Manager. Slightly annoying ...
    Thank Post
    Yeah guys, seems you're right. To use govern Mavericks you have to use Profile Manager not Workgroup Manager.

Slightly annoying and it means more work for me but hey ho...Still begs the question that if Apple plan on fading out Workgroup Manager, why they released a new version for Mavericks? Madness.

So so sum up, use Profile Manager and forget Workgroup manager.

Thank Post
    I have given up on Profile Manager. If you use Workgroup manager and ain't bothered about permissions for different types of users then I have found a solution !! ....... Set all the policies using the global computer settings. So all users get the same dock layout and so on. This saves using Profile manager and still allows the easy use of Workgroup manager.

Thanks for your help guys.

P.S just posted a thread about Launchpad - give a look for me please - Cheers

Thank Post
    We are having a nightmare with this as well!

Thank Post
    I'm looking into this for our 10.6.8 Clients and Server, but I'm just double checking the facts!

To use 10.9 clients we'd have to upgrade the server to 10.9 first?
    To use WM on the clients we'd have to keep them all the same version (clients and server) so 10.6.8 or 10.9?

I've upgrade one client to 10.9 as a test and it doesn't pick up any preferences, so I guess I've half answered my question! And WM 10.9 doesn't work when trying to connect to 10.6.8 server

I guess i'll be scheduling in a full upgrade of server and macs sometime soon, is the free upgrade 10.9 time limited does anyone know?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    I'm looking into this for our 10.6.8 Clients and Server, but I'm just double checking the facts!

To use 10.9 clients we'd have to upgrade the server to 10.9 first?
    To use WM on the clients we'd have to keep them all the same version (clients and server) so 10.6.8 or 10.9?

I've upgrade one client to 10.9 as a test and it doesn't pick up any preferences, so I guess I've half answered my question! And WM 10.9 doesn't work when trying to connect to 10.6.8 server

I guess i'll be scheduling in a full upgrade of server and macs sometime soon, is the free upgrade 10.9 time limited does anyone know?
    Upgrade servers first then clients. If you push out mcx settings from an older version of server you might have some mismatched settings that work and others that don't because they have been deprecated. Like the others have said only computer level mcx preferences are pushing out of 10.9 server. An MDM server should be investigated for the future.

The other thing to consider is that if you use the Software Update server 10.6.8 server or even 10.8 server can't serve updates to 10.9 clients.

10.9 will remain free i.e. not a limited time offer. Just make sure your Macs are supported.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12