+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Mac Thread, OS X Mavericks Released ó and itís free! in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Not really true, the Samsung Ultra PC's are in the same price bracket as the Mac Book Air.

If you try on Dells web site to configure a laptop to come close to the spec of the £1700 mac book pro, guess what? It comes out not to far off and it don't have the screen res of the pro.
    Apple don't do models with the lower end processors like the Pentium Pro or i3, its i5 or higher.

Yes they are expensive, but your not getting low spec equipment. Your getting SSD's, high res screens, high end processors, long battery life, really good to use keyboards and a trackpad thats the best i've ever used.

I was very much like zag (at least in the always being a Windows user sense), until 2011 i had been an anti apple strong Windows user since the 90s, then i decided to give the Mac Book Air a try, and now i hate using Windows and these cheap Acer/HP junk. OS X on Apple hardware is just the best computer experience i have ever had once it becomes the norm and you forget the Windows habbits.

Another tech in the office has seen me go a little Apple mad and bought a 2006 Mac Book Pro off eBay for £220, and even though its 7 years old, because it was top end from then its still performs very well today and now he does not use his work laptop , he uses the Mac all the time and just RDP's off it when necessary. So pay the premium for the hardware and get a long enjoyable life out of it.
    I would never go to Dell as their hardware is a flop, in my opinion. I'm more of a HP fan than anything else.

Anyway, I don't get the whole "windows-is-slow-macs-are-faster" philosophy. If you buy an under speced machine then expect it to not run smooth like a Ferrari. I'm sure the same can be said about the Macs if they did an Acer on their product lines. In other words, it's like you buying a 1.2 litre car and then wondering why it isn't fast as a 2.0 TDi of a monster, which barely lasts you long.

I have a HP Workstation that was brought 5.5+ years ago (Intel Xeon 2.0GHz Quad-Core, 16GB RAM, 2 x 500GB HDD) and it still runs quick now as it did then, for a lovely sum of £800. Had it been Apple you would've been expected to pay well over £2,000 - and it still looks like you pay more buck than bang.

The Intel i3 3.20GHz, 4GB RAM workstations we have dotted around the school are pretty quick, too. All users have roaming profiles and students and staff can log in under 15 seconds, and admins can do it under 13 seconds. I've timed these ocassionally and randomly at different times of the days, so I've not had any complaints from my end users. That said, you also have to factor in the switches and wiring.

Teaching staff love their HP ProBook 4520 laptops that were purchased 2 years ago and - touchwood - they're still going strong. One teacher uses her MacBook purely to create and merge music in Garageband.

I have a 2009 MacBook at home and all I have ever done with it is surf the web and check e-mails. Since having my iPad I do it all on that and the MacBook rarely gets used now. Plus, it's now slow when it was upgraded from 10.6 to 10.8. I also have a HP EliteBook laptop (purchased 2011) and that's still running sweet. Again, like the MacBook, it rarely gets used.

I suppose, at the end of the day, it boils down to what you're comfortable with. The few Mac users I know do 3 things: surf the web, e-mails and word processing. One person is a hardcore graphics designer and only went down the Mac line because his university were using software that was only available on Macs.
    Last edited by Chuckster; 23rd October 2013 at 04:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Yes, if you buy a new Mac.
    Or have a relatively new Mac... not sure what the cut-off is, though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    Or have a relatively new Mac... not sure what the cut-off is, though.
    arm and leg i believe lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Installed Mavericks on my 2009 17" Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro last night,

Big improvement over Lion, the whole thing runs sweeter & the install was hassle-free

I'm going to test it out with some serious hard work in Abelton Live over the weekend and see what it offers me.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm loving the tabs on finder and being able to finally make it full screen!

Thank Post
    Macbook Pro 3,1

Unable to see the USB thumb drive, works perfectly on newer macbook and iMac

The upgrade worked, just a shame I can't do a clean install

EDIT* Tried a different USB Stick, that works...
    Last edited by pscott; 24th October 2013 at 02:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Is it me or have they swapped round the Open Link in New Tab and Open Link in New Windows in the new Safari? I seem to keep hitting the wrong one so something has changed!

EDIT: Just had a quick look on a Mountain Lion mac and it has changed, I thought it was me being special.

Very annoying.
    Last edited by Scottyboy99; 24th October 2013 at 06:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,834 Times in 2,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    not sure what the cut-off is, though.
    If you own a previous version of iWork, iLife or Aperture you can upgrade to the latest version on the Mac App Store for free on any Mac. I tried it earlier myself and it worked.

Apple Offering 'Free' Updates to All Owners of Aperture, iWork, and iLife; Not Worried About Unethical Users ę Mac Rumours

As part of its efforts to ensure that all eligible software owners are able to upgrade to the latest versions of its software on the Mac App Store, Apple is intentionally allowing users with any version of Aperture, iLife and iWork installed on their system to upgrade to the latest versions on the Mac App Store -- even illegally acquired or trial versions.

In order to ensure that no legitimate software owners are left behind, according to MacTrast, Apple has eliminated its legacy software update mechanism entirely and is instead pushing all software updates onto the Mac App Store.

When the new apps were released on the Mac App Store, many users with legitimate copies were unable to upgrade to the latest versions, though many users who were having difficulties seem to be able to upgrade now.

As a result of Apple's changes, all users with older versions of Aperture, iWork or iLife installed -- even if acquired through less-than-ethical means -- should be able to upgrade to the latest versions through the Mac App Store.

Thank Post
    Unbelievable!

Western Digital warns of OS X Mavericks data loss ę Bit-tech

Western Digital is warning customers of an unfortunate interaction between its storage management software and Apple's latest OS X release, 10.9 'Mavericks,' which can result in permanent data loss.

According to an email sent by Western Digital to customers and republished by TUAW, an unfortunate interaction between Western Digital's management software and OS X Mavericks can result - and, judging by the company's support forums, has resulted - in the complete loss of all data on external drives connected to systems running Apple's latest OS upgrade.

'We want to make you aware of new reports of Western Digital and other external HDD products experiencing data loss when updating to Apple's OS X Mavericks (10.9),' the company explained in the email to customers. 'WD is urgently investigating these reports and the possible connection to the WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare software applications.'

WD's advice for external drive users is clear: don't upgrade to OS X Mavericks just yet. For users that have already taken the plunge, uninstall all copies of WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare - all of which WD has removed from its website to prevent fresh installations - and reboot the system to prevent data loss.
    Western Digital warns customers of Mavericks external hard drive data loss issue ę TUAW

Dear WD Registered Customer,

As a valued WD customer we want to make you aware of new reports of Western Digital and other external HDD products experiencing data loss when updating to Apple's OS X Mavericks (10.9). WD is urgently investigating these reports and the possible connection to the WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare software applications. Until the issue is understood and the cause identified, WD strongly urges our customers to uninstall these software applications before updating to OS X Mavericks (10.9), or delay upgrading. If you have already upgraded to Mavericks, WD recommends that you remove these applications and restart your computer.

The WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager, and WD SmartWare software applications are not new and have been available from WD for many years, however solely as a precaution WD has removed these applications from our website as we investigate this issue.

Sincerely,
    Western Digital

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,832 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The ire about the Keynote upgrade (or a downgrade in respects to some functionality) has resulted in a number of people going back to the previous version. Whilst the iOS version improves, the dumbing down of the desktop version to fit into the online and iOS versions is a massive frustration. Publishers of 3rd party themes are finding that some of the features break their themes and templates, which cannot be fixed now. Users with significant catalogues of presentations (e.g. churches, museums, etc) are finding even just opening the keynote file is adjusting it so that it cannot be open in the previous version (thank $deity for time machine).

Seriously Apple ... after not updating iWorks properly for ages, you now b0rk the desktop version to the point of folk wanting to go back to Powerpoint? Chatting to one unnamed Apple employee last week, he has had to rebuild over 75% of his materials he uses for presentations to customers. I asked one person at an Apple Store yesterday over whether it was worth doing and he was quite clear that Apple's recommendation is that you always make use of the newest version of the software ... though he (and many others) do recommend spending some time to make sure that *all* your files, themes, templates, etc will work on the new version before you upgrade ... and then it is obviously our choice if we go ahead an upgrade.

I translate that as, "It *will* break things ... don't do anything until you are sure about how much it breaks and whether it is worth the pain!"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    don't do anything until you are sure about how much it breaks and whether it is worth the pain!"
    About the new iWork for Mac: Features and compatibility

Some features in upcoming releases in the next 6 months

Pages
    • Customize toolbar
    • Vertical ruler
    • Improved alignment guides
    • Improved object placement
    • Import of cells with images
    • Improved word counts
    • Keyboard shortcuts for styles
    • Manage pages and sections from the thumbnail view

Numbers
    • Customize toolbar
    • Improvements to zoom and window placement
    • Multi-column and range sort
    • Auto-complete text in cells
    • Page headers and footers
    • Improvements to AppleScript support

Keynote
    • Customize toolbar
    • Restoring old transitions and builds
    • Improvements to presenter display
    • Improvements to AppleScript support

In the meanwhile, you can continue to use these features by accessing the previous versions of the iWork applications which remain installed on your Mac. The previous versions can be found in Applications > iWork í09.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 1,004 Posts
    @Arthur - would it be worth while upgrading to OS X Mavericks on my 2011 Mac mini or wait till they patch it ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    would it be worth while upgrading to OS X Mavericks on my 2011 Mac mini or wait till they patch it?
    You might as well wait a few more weeks for 10.9.1 to be released. There's always an update within the first month.

I haven't had any issues myself despite upgrading to Mavericks on the 22nd.

Thank Post
    upgraded here server and clients without any issues, i must say i was not looking forward to replacing workgroup manager with profile manager but it works really well, and so far does everything i need it too.

one issue i had was not being able to make a bootable install medai, so had to download it every time, anyone else get command not found when trying to run sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Thank Post
    Just download the latest version of the Lion DiskMaker app and use that... DiskMaker X

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast