+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Mac on a windows network .. and a spanner in the works! in Technical; We need to buy new computers for the old ones about to expire (which is pretty much all of them ...
    Thank Post

Mac on a windows network .. and a spanner in the works!

We need to buy new computers for the old ones about to expire (which is pretty much all of them in school).
    I suggested getting Mac mini and dual booting with Windows, for a number of reasons - but in short .. they are small, powerful enough for school and can give us the option to offer kids OSX with music/art programs etc. All was well ... until yesterday!

Suddenly, a spanner has been thrown in by an outside technician that is known to the school, that things are not running well with their Macs and 'we wish we hadnt bothered. Dont go down this route, as its a PITA!'
    One of the issues he raised was kids having problems accessing network/home drives from the Macs, but I think in general he wasn't keen on the whole thing.

I'm new to Macs but willing to learn and include them in our network if it works and can offer the kids something extra. But now i'm being asked "Does it work? Is this what we want?"
    For you guys that have some experience with Macs at school, is your first response to this spanner in the works

1. "The guy doesn't know what he's doing and it's great" or
    2. "They do work in a school, but it's clunky" ??

For a primary school starting out on this route, what would you recommend?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They do work in a school, but it's clunky fits rather well.
    Personally I'd question their suitability in a primary; I'm very keen on the idea of people being given exposure to different systems however at a primary level I think that may detract from ICT experience rather than add. Would the kids actually be doing anything music/art wise that would *really* benefit from them? Secondary level, if the funds are there I believe it's a dead-cert that they should have such exposure to industry standard kit. Garageband isn't bad for primary level but perhaps then it'd be better off on an iPad rather than a Mac.

Actually getting the deed done though, get enough information from enough people and you'll survive. There are a few foibles to learn along the way (I can't be of much help as I'm personally learning 3rd hand as I type this) and training involved which will be an added cost.

Thank Post
    I support 50% Macs, perfectly happily (well apart from the cost and the extra workload they place on me). However for school use, I'd still recommend PCs. Most of the software staff and students need is PC based, and support is easier to obtain.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by detjo View Post
    We need to buy new computers for the old ones about to expire (which is pretty much all of them in school).
    I suggested getting Mac mini and dual booting with Windows, for a number of reasons - but in short .. they are small, powerful enough for school and can give us the option to offer kids OSX with music/art programs etc. All was well ... until yesterday!

Suddenly, a spanner has been thrown in by an outside technician that is known to the school, that things are not running well with their Macs and 'we wish we hadnt bothered. Dont go down this route, as its a PITA!'
    One of the issues he raised was kids having problems accessing network/home drives from the Macs, but I think in general he wasn't keen on the whole thing.

I'm new to Macs but willing to learn and include them in our network if it works and can offer the kids something extra. But now i'm being asked "Does it work? Is this what we want?"
    For you guys that have some experience with Macs at school, is your first response to this spanner in the works

1. "The guy doesn't know what he's doing and it's great" or
    2. "They do work in a school, but it's clunky" ??

For a primary school starting out on this route, what would you recommend?
    I work in the college sector rather than a primary so I'm not really qualified to comment on how suitable macs are for your place in general.

As for the technician - were these macs sprung on him at the last moment by some idiot who gets easily mesmerised by shiny things, and were they told to make them work with no training? I any of us would be annoyed and discouraged if that's what happened.

Macs can integrate into AD and it will take a bit of extra work and yes, training, for them to be supported effectively. I'm a big fan of mac/apple gear on a personal level myself and even with already being used to it from a home perspective it was quite a bit of work to integrate them into our network... any discussion of how well they will fit in with your organisation needs to take that into account... there's a cost to integrating anything out of the norm into your system that needs to be recognised by all the people involved in the decision... and if the things they're being pushed for can be achieved using your normal PC setup then I'd want to make sure somebody was taking a long hard look at why the normal systems were not being considered.

Thank Post
    Were a full mac school get yourself down here and have a look! Works perfectly!

115iMacs
    74 MacBook Airs
    50+ Apple TV's
    500+ iPads
    500+ MacBook Pro's!

Thank Post
    ah .. and where is 'here' ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by betty02 View Post
    Were a full mac school get yourself down here and have a look! Works perfectly!

115iMacs
    74 MacBook Airs
    50+ Apple TV's
    500+ iPads
    500+ MacBook Pro's!
    Thats about £1,000,000 worth of kit without VAT, where they hell did you get that money???
    Last edited by Quackers; 24th October 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Highfield Humanities College - Blackpool, lancashire - If your not too far away!

Thank Post
    I value my body highly. So I get top money when it's sold.

All serious-ness we had a brand new school built, sort of still managed to get BSF Funding, in the cancellation period. Hard to explain! We was lucky put it that way

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by betty02 View Post
    Highfield Humanities College - Blackpool, lancashire - If your not too far away!
    Thanks for the offer. I'm about 230 miles away. (I better go talk to the boss)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Thats about £1,000,000 worth of kit without VAT, where they hell did you get that money???
    Wow it never ceases to amaze me the amount of money some schools can spend (arguably over spend at the tax payers expense) on ICT, p.s yes I am jealous nonetheless

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by detjo View Post
    Thanks for the offer. I'm about 230 miles away. (I better go talk to the boss)
    No problem, pop down during half term if you wish, my Boss will be in all throughout!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrowlands View Post
    Wow it never ceases to amaze me the amount of money some schools can spend (arguably over spend at the tax payers expense) on ICT, p.s yes I am jealous nonetheless
    Money well spent in my eyes, yes this causes us to face issues, but we are in the process of ordering an additional 1000 iPads to go 1:1 device, this will remove 60% off our problems I;d say! We have the iPads in class use now but obviously there pretty pointless to hand work in as they will be used by various pupils and last thing we want is someone leaving something logged in etc!

13. Thanks to betty02 from:

synaesthesia (25th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes I really question our governments motives when throwing money to schools to spend in that way. (No offence to the school(s) of course). In the days of financial difficulty, and when money could be spent far better elsewhere...
    (Don't discuss this in this thread though, PM me if you want a pop! )

** edit - big thumbs up to @betty02 for doing just that
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 25th October 2013 at 08:59 AM.

rdk

Thank Post
    One advantage now with macs is that every computer will have the latest operating system and the latest version of the applications, with no ongoing licensing costs after the machines have been bought. We have 500 + MacBook Pros for staff and students and everyone will have the latest OS and apps regardless of whether the machines were bought three years ago or our next 150 that will be bought in January. As for student software, we have found that the kids operate perfectly fine without Office (staff still have Office) using Pages, Keynote etc. There is an "industry standard" argument, but we're not particularly interested in teaching kids software, we're interested in the work they produce. Who cares if its Pages or Word the essay is written on? And if a kid can use Pages I'm pretty sure they could pick up anything they'd need in Word in a very short time if going for a job straight after school. The other direction works well - I'm sure anyone here experienced with Word could use Pages and produce more or less the same documents with basically no training and the use of help when stuck doing something complex. So we only give the kids iWork & iLife, and Adobe stuff if they need it for their subjects using our "site" licence. But Adobe is pricing themselves out of the education market anyway, in my view.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rdk View Post
    One advantage now with macs is that every computer will have the latest operating system and the latest version of the applications, with no ongoing licensing costs after the machines have been bought. We have 500 + MacBook Pros for staff and students and everyone will have the latest OS and apps regardless of whether the machines were bought three years ago or our next 150 that will be bought in January. As for student software, we have found that the kids operate perfectly fine without Office (staff still have Office) using Pages, Keynote etc. There is an "industry standard" argument, but we're not particularly interested in teaching kids software, we're interested in the work they produce. Who cares if its Pages or Word the essay is written on? And if a kid can use Pages I'm pretty sure they could pick up anything they'd need in Word in a very short time if going for a job straight after school. The other direction works well - I'm sure anyone here experienced with Word could use Pages and produce more or less the same documents with basically no training and the use of help when stuck doing something complex. So we only give the kids iWork & iLife, and Adobe stuff if they need it for their subjects using our "site" licence. But Adobe is pricing themselves out of the education market anyway, in my view.
    I don't want to start the whole Mac vs PC war but I do think the price angle is still important. With the Mac cost structure your paying for the on-going free software in the price of the hardware. For example the MacBook pro is £800 ex vat where we have bought similar specification laptops for staff this year at £400 ex vat. They come with the latest version of Windows and then we have a Microsoft agreement to install Office or upgrade windows along with other software etc. If your buying 500 laptops multiple by £400 cost saving with a Windows laptop £200000 most schools Microsoft EES is going to be less than £20000 so that's 10 years of Microsoft licencing you have for the costs saved. Unless your hardware is going to last more than 10 years is it really cheaper?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast