+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Mac on a windows network .. and a spanner in the works! in Technical; Plus I just remembered the whole if you have Microsoft EES all your students get free Office which should also ...
    Thank Post
    Plus I just remembered the whole if you have Microsoft EES all your students get free Office which should also add some weight in the cost debate

Thank Post
    I can see a can of worms being opened here! Anyway were welcome to visitors anytime just let me know!

3. Thanks to betty02 from:

lmgtfy (25th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Personally I'd question their suitability in a primary
    I don't.

I think the dual boot PC/Mac is perfect for Primary. There are some simple boot loaders out there that present a nice option screen rather than having to press option to select.
    Applications like GarageBand and iMovie are unrivalled: They allow teaching of some high level concepts, using proper 'grown up' software, without complexity associated with many PC alternatives. I'm yet to experience easy, crash free, video editing on windows

All too often, ICT is taught as a 'you copy me' model. Having dual boot allows a teacher to teach a concept (e.g. effective presentation layout) and, allow children to practise this, and then learn the 'figuring out' skills applying this to another app or OS. These are the skills that basically differentiate people 'who are good at computers' from those who aren't.

We've all met 'mac fanboys' who detest touching a PC and 'windows geeks' who love to point out every fault with Mac - both frustrated because their brains can't cope with more than one set of keyboard shortcuts. I don't want my students to become either of those.
    I'm not saying it's cheap or easy or will happen quickly; however, after having dual boot for 4 years it's great to see year 6ers choosing the most appropriate platform and software for the job.

As for setup: keep it simple. If the thought of setting up the mac server-ad golden triangle gives you the willies, just mount a network share to the server and avoid network logins all together. Many primary's function on that basis with pcs perfectly fine. Getting a Mac server will be better in the long run, but not essential.

Thank Post
    In my eyes if your going to dual boot a mac then you may as well get a better spec PC for cheaper. This is obviously my personal opinion but to get a mac you have to use it for what it's designed for and with the software that it came with.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12