+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, MAC bound to active directory in Technical; Hi, I have successfully bound our macs to active directory and they seem to be working fine. The only issue ...

Thank Post

MAC bound to active directory

Hi,

I have successfully bound our macs to active directory and they seem to be working fine. The only issue I have at the moment is when our students import footage from a camera into iMovie. it imports successfully but the footage is very choppy and stuttery. I believe this is caused by importing the footage across the network into their network home folder. I have read online to get the users to import their footage to the local hard drive but when I select "Macintosh HD" as the destination folder this still puts it into their network home folder. I believe that it still does this because when the users open finder and their desktop, documents, movies etc locations in the sidebar direct to their network location.

Anyway I was wondering if any other users had any of these issues when importing movies into iMovie.

By the way this is on 10.8 and iMovie 11

Thanks,

Alex

Thank Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by alexpuk2002 View Post
    Hi,

I have successfully bound our macs to active directory and they seem to be working fine. The only issue I have at the moment is when our students import footage from a camera into iMovie. it imports successfully but the footage is very choppy and stuttery. I believe this is caused by importing the footage across the network into their network home folder.
    [snip]
    You are correct, Alex. Typically when using iMovie or FinalCut on a networked mac, imports are best done locally to a separate hard disc drive or portable firewire disk to alleviate heavy network use.
    However as you are presently experiencing, the networked user probably doesn't have local write permissions to the Mac Hard Disc, so the application defaults back to the networked home movies folder.

You could get them to import to Mac_HD/Users/Shared locally as that folder remains writeable during normal networked operations, but the end users would have to then copy their project back to the server before logging out. You would need to monitor this though as that folder will periodically fill up.

Alternatively, you can run a script in the logouthook portion of ProfileManager in 10.8 Server to empty this local folder. However you must ensure that all the macs have the same hard disc name [eg Mac_HD or Macintosh_HD] or your script will break.

Regards
    Last edited by Oddbod; 16th October 2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: too many regards... :D

Thank Post
    We bought some external little hard drives for this, work a treat!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread